MIchael Weiss Working With Todd Eldredge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MIchael Weiss Working With Todd Eldredge

emma

Record Breaker
Maybe this was said already, but if they are golf/coi buddies, thus, have a good relationship...and I assume they are both aware that Weiss is not really a contender for a medal (but anything can happen, of course), then maybe the Todd thing is about doing your personal best and feeling good about it (i.e. learning to be able to just do your best and feel good about), while getting some fresh helps with the axel and maybe placement of elements (i always thought Todd was good at that, placing the elements and timing it with the music).

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And Mike should get David Wilson to do a decent choreographed routine.

Ah, yes, wishful thinking... because that might cause a few problems then on the home front! :biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

euterpe said:
I don't relish the idea of Weiss on the Olympic team either. I can still recall his fatuous remarks about what a terrific team they were in 2002, when he finished a controversial third, pushing Matt Savoie off the team.

He didn't even make the 2005 World Team, and IMO, he won't make the Olympic team unless he can completely relearn his money jumps, and that is extremely unlikely. I would be shocked if the Olympic team wasn't Weir, Lysacek and Goebel.

I, too, will be shocked if Weir, Goebel, and Lysacek aren't the US Olympic team, barring injury, illness, or self-destruction on the ice rink. Poor Matt Savoie - that leaves him in the perpetual fourth place position, just off the team.

As for Weiss - he needs a tremendous amount of help from his fellow American skaters to get on the team. Heaven forbid the 2006 men's long program is another train wreck with the bodies of the fallen men strewn over the ice. If Weiss wins the title because everyone skated lousy, well, all I can say is --
:banging:

Thanks iluvtodd for the link.

What got to me was that Todd was working on Mike's program. I presume that they are improving on Mike's wife's choreography. That is what Mike needs more than a quad. Mike has excellent stroking and to hide that with short choppy strokes and far too much posing kills his natural flow over the ice.

Todd's stroking and flow was second to none.

I love to see large wide stroking over the ice whether it comes from crossovers or of Moves in the Field. That to me, is skating on the ice. Few have it.

(One knows when a male skater is using Carmen, he does not do Don Jose. He does the Escamillo in full regalia. His skating therefore will be full of pseudo Spanish poses throughout and not much flow. JMO.)

Joe

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Thanks iluvtodd for the link.

What got to me was that Todd was working on Mike's program. I presume that they are improving on Mike's wife's choreography. That is what Mike needs more than a quad. Mike has excellent stroking and to hide that with short choppy strokes and far too much posing kills his natural flow over the ice.

Todd's stroking and flow was second to none.

I love to see large wide stroking over the ice whether it comes from crossovers or of Moves in the Field. That to me, is skating on the ice. Few have it.

Joe

Yes, I've noticed all the mid-program stop-pose-start choreography which actually interrupts the flow of the entire performance.

Also, since Michael doesn't have the "classic" body line and height, he has to work much harder at his extension and finishing his moves.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Michael's Music and Choreographers

OK, I was looking around on the USFSA site to see if there was any updates on music, etc. Here's what I found for Michael:

Short Program Music: “La Donna e Mobile” by Verdi;
Free Skate Music: “5th Symphony, Moonlight Sonata, and 9th Symphony” by Beethoven
-----is it me or am I getting a sense of deja vu???? oh, wait - he used Puccini (but still another Italian composer) for his 2002 LP and different Beethoven for 98-----

Choreographer: Lisa Thornton-Weiss, Peter Tchernyshev, Dan Hollander
(it's great he's working with Peter and Dan - but it seems to me Lisa has the final word :disapp: )

Here's the link to his USFSA profile with the details:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2275

I still wish him all the luck, but realistically I don't see him making the team.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Mike do "La Donna e Mobile" in the Andrea Bocelli on Ice show last fall?

In 1998 he did the Egmont Overture (Beethoven), I think.

Michael does get a bad rap on GS. I don't think he deserves it. For me he is included in the top 4 US stable. I hope PT and DH can take over the choreography. I'm not sure of Dan because his style is rather showy in the comical sense, but Peter will give him more space covering with large stroking , and exceptional footwork. He hasn't kept up with the Big 3 but I'm sure he will give them a run for the Nats podium.

As for Matt (like Angela), a very good skater who reached his peak, and still at that peak but not competitive. JMO.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Michael does get a bad rap on GS. I don't think he deserves it. For me he is included in the top 4 US stable. I hope PT and DH can take over the choreography. I'm not sure of Dan because his style is rather showy in the comical sense, but Peter will give him more space covering with large stroking , and exceptional footwork. He hasn't kept up with the Big 3 but I'm sure he will give them a run for the Nats podium.

As for Matt (like Angela), a very good skater who reached his peak, and still at that peak but not competitive. JMO.

Joe

I've never been a big M W fan, but I sure do appreciate his skating...particularly, as Joe points out, his stroking and footwork, as well as the years put in, the hard work, and getting the job done when it counts (just wish he could nail the 3 axel better, but I admire him going for those quads). He's, to me, a question mark for the Olympic team, but, again imo, a top candidate for one of the spots (and I wish him luck).

Matt...I always expect him to have a break out year...he is crazy talented and creative....but then he doesn't (break out)...I never thought of him and Angela in the same sentence, but yeah....like Angela (and so, like her, I wish he could skate at the Olympics too).