What's Goin' On here??? | Golden Skate

What's Goin' On here???

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is the first time I've been back on this board since I got my computer de-bugged a couple of weeks ago -- and I'm finding that I can't post any long replies to threads. Anything longer than one line seems to go off into space somewhere and doesn't post; I hit "post reply" and all I get is a blank screen. Is something set funny on my computer?? Or is it the threads I'm replying to? The ones I had problems with are the one about the East German skaters and the one about skaters switching nationalities in The Edge. I notice these took an extra long time to download as well, which is odd given that the speed of my computer has improved immensely since the repair.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Maybe they furnished you with another bug? :rofl:
I know it's really not funny and wish I knew how to help but I can't even keep my own running right now. I had my page set to Golden Skate and somehow it is now MSN and I can't figure out what to do.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the first time I've heard of something like this.

One thing you may try to do is do a test post at vbulletin.com. While you are posting, describe the problem you are having as there are technical people there who built this software and may be aware of other similar cases.

You could try a test post here. You will have to register, but I think they can help.

Would like to know what happens.

Are you still having problems, JonnyCoop?

One possibilty seems to be the modem. Did you get a new modem when you had your computer upgraded? Tonichelle went through a long period where she could read the board but couldn't post. She eventually got her modem reconfigured and it was OK.

I have been having the same sort of problem. I recently changed ISPs and got a new modem. Not only am I not able to post once in a while, but when I try, it freezes up my whole computer.

I called tech support, and they told me to turn off the modem and reverse the ethernet cable that connects the modem to the computer. It's a two-way cable (either way works), but the tech guy said that what happens is a static charge builds up in the cable and interfers with communication between the computer and the modem. Reversing the cable nullifies this charge.

This is a big bummer. It have had to do it twice in the last two weeks. My old modem had no such flaw.

Mathman

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, so far, so good, but I haven't yet tried to post anything longer than a 3-line paragraph. You might have a good point about the modem. We'll have to see; hopefully soon a thread will come up that will inspire a longer reply so I can see if it's still going on. Actually, I haven't been on at all lately since things have been chaotic lately.

mpal2

Final Flight
testing posting. I've been having firewall issues.

Funny, I seem to be having the same problem as Johnny Coop. My one liner went through but long messages don't post.

mpal2

Final Flight
I tried editing the above message and couldn't add this part.

My sister has a wireless router hooked up to my computer for her laptop. When everything freezes up, I have to unhook her. I thought it was all messages, but short messages seem to be posting ok.

mpal2

Final Flight
This is the last line that I tried to add to the most recent post that wouldn't post.

I must be getting long-winded lately. This could get obnoxious posting in parts like this. :mad: My sister hates to get unhooked from the internet.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I, too, am still having the same problem. I am suspecting that something must have gotten set funny when I had my computer de-bugged. I'm going to have the guy who fixed it take a look at the situation and perhaps he can give me some sort of insight.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Testing, testing, testing... Just checking out a theory.

I'm wondering if somehow anything where I make a break in the paragraph might be some sort of contributing factor, i.e, the blank line between this sentence and the first one. I'm suspecting it might have something to do with Internet Explorer, because of some strange boxes and "expired page" messages I got when I tried to resubmit my original thread. [Which still won't post]

Tell the truth now -- some of us at some point got put on some sort of "Oh Shut Up" list, didn't we?? :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
OK, now this REALLY makes no sense, because my previous post above was about the same length as the one I tried to post that wouldn't, but this one posted but the first one didn't. Actually, everything seems to be working fine when I get into this section.

mpal2

Final Flight
JohnnyCoop, If you figure out the problem on your PC throw a hint my way. I've checked all kinds of things and it all comes back to the wireless router on the long posts only.
:scratch:
Correction, I thought it was long posts only. I just had to unhook my sister from the internet to post this and it was a 3 line short post similar to those that had been posted ok yesterday.

Now I am completely baffled. For me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, with no particular rhyme or reason.

If I just wait a few hours and try again, usually I can make the post no matter how long it is.

But once a post messes up, it cannot be edited, even days afterward.

For me, this happens only occasionally, however. (?)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Hallejulah!! Whatever the computer geek did, it worked.

Mathman, thank you SO much for putting me on the right track -- it was indeed a modem setting that was causing the problem. I have no idea what the guy did, and if he tried to explain it to me I would either (a) not understand a word of it, or (b) zone out about 15 seconds into the explanation, but whatever he did worked. It apparently had something to do with the way I had my call waiting set up for aol; I have a dial-up and they kept telling me something was off, but I was unable to reset it per their instructions as they had reformatted everything for the new version that I have. Whatever was done to it today, took care of both problems and it was implied to me that they were related.

mpal2

Final Flight
I noticed that the forum freezes up after someone else has posted in the same forum when I'm trying to mark a forum read, post or to even move up to the next forum level, I have to close the browser window and open a new one.

If I open a new window right away, it shows everything I've just read as new posts still and I have to remember where I've been.

This, BTW, is when I'm going through the cheap piece of junk router that my sister bought. When I unhook her from the internet, I don't have those problems.