Intermediate Adult Boot Recommendation | Golden Skate

Intermediate Adult Boot Recommendation

ameliablackwell

Spectator
Hi there! I'm a 23yo female skater, currently working on Freestyle 1-2 skills (waltz jump, half flip, etc) and have found that my current boots are not nearly supportive enough. I got Jackson Mystiques (with Mark 2 blades that come with) when I first started about 5-6 months ago and have been using those ever since, but I've started skating a bit more recently (6-8 hours/week) and landing jumps have become a bit scary in these lol. I've had some pain in my arches with my Mystiques, and ended up finding the trick of skipping one eyelet when lacing, which has helped. Both my feet pronate as well, which I plan on discussing with my skate tech when I get fitted and have to talk blades. My pro shop isn't super local, though, so I was hoping to get some feedback here to have an idea going into my fitting.
I'm looking to get a new pair of boots, and I don't necessarily want to overboot, but really want them to last as long as possible, and I'm hoping they can get me through all my single jumps if possible. I'm open to other brands outside Jackson (I was looking at Jackson Premiere or Edea Chorus but feel like that's a big jump?) I'm 5'7" and fluctuate 180-190 lbs for reference. If anyone has any recommendations or tips, I'd really appreciate it :)

Edit: After some suggested research from you guys, I found that I have a Roman foot shape, and I definitely have high arches. I'm pretty sure my feet are medium width (not narrow or wide) and forefoot is not significantly bigger than heel, only slightly. Hopefully this is helpful context, and I appreciate the feedback !

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi there! I'm a 23yo female skater, currently working on Freestyle 1-2 skills (waltz jump, half flip, etc) and have found that my current boots are not nearly supportive enough. I got Jackson Mystiques (with Mark 2 blades that come with) when I first started about 5-6 months ago and have been using those ever since, but I've started skating a bit more recently (6-8 hours/week) and landing jumps have become a bit scary in these lol. I've had some pain in my arches with my Mystiques, and ended up finding the trick of skipping one eyelet when lacing, which has helped. Both my feet pronate as well, which I plan on discussing with my skate tech when I get fitted and have to talk blades. My pro shop isn't super local, though, so I was hoping to get some feedback here to have an idea going into my fitting.
I'm looking to get a new pair of boots, and I don't necessarily want to overboot, but really want them to last as long as possible, and I'm hoping they can get me through all my single jumps if possible. I'm open to other brands outside Jackson (I was looking at Jackson Premiere or Edea Chorus but feel like that's a big jump?) I'm 5'7" and fluctuate 180-190 lbs for reference. If anyone has any recommendations or tips, I'd really appreciate it :)
Hello! Your choice of boot brand will depend a lot on your foot shape. Different brands are a better fit for high/medium/low arches, and toe shapes (Egyptian, Greek, etc.) A description of your foot shape would narrow the choices down?

Please don't do any more jumps in your Mystiques!! They never had enough support for you. The brand of boot that's right for you depends on your foot shape. If you let us know this information, we'll be able to help more: foot width (narrow/medium/wide), whether your forefoot is significantly wider than your heel, arches (high, medium, low, flat), and foot shape (see here).
As far as models go, something along the lines of Jackson Premiere, Edea Chorus, and Risport RF3 Pro or Royal Pro should make sense for you (in my inexpert opinion), but choosing the right brand is really important.
Good luck!

ameliablackwell

Spectator
Please don't do any more jumps in your Mystiques!! They never had enough support for you. The brand of boot that's right for you depends on your foot shape. If you let us know this information, we'll be able to help more: foot width (narrow/medium/wide), whether your forefoot is significantly wider than your heel, arches (high, medium, low, flat), and foot shape (see here).
As far as models go, something along the lines of Jackson Premiere, Edea Chorus, and Risport RF3 Pro or Royal Pro should make sense for you (in my inexpert opinion), but choosing the right brand is really important.
Good luck!
Thanks for letting me know! I got my Mystiques when I was still learning a two foot glide, and was trying to get them to last as long as possible, but I definitely don't feel safe jumping in them. I'd say that I have Roman foot shape, high arches, medium width, and forefoot is not significantly wider than heel, only slightly.

ameliablackwell

Spectator
Hello! Your choice of boot brand will depend a lot on your foot shape. Different brands are a better fit for high/medium/low arches, and toe shapes (Egyptian, Greek, etc.) A description of your foot shape would narrow the choices down?
I would say I have a Roman foot shape, high arches, and medium width (not narrow or wide)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would say I have a Roman foot shape, high arches, and medium width (not narrow or wide)
Risport Royal Pro (which has loose ankles like Edea) or Risport RF3 Pro which has traditional ankles. Pair them with traditional style of MK Pro or Coronation Ace blades.

Good luck!

Definitely don't wear your current boots, they are no where close to being stiff enough for you and never were.

ameliablackwell

Spectator
Risport Royal Pro (which has loose ankles like Edea) or Risport RF3 Pro which has traditional ankles. Pair them with traditional style of MK Pro or Coronation Ace blades.

Good luck!

Definitely don't wear your current boots, they are no where close to being stiff enough for you and never were.
Thanks so much! I'll definitely try these on. Can I ask why Risport in particular? I'm less familiar with that brand

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks so much! I'll definitely try these on. Can I ask why Risport in particular? I'm less familiar with that brand
Risports are fairly widely sold and will fit your foot shape better than Jacksons. I wear Risports (the RF1 model) because of my high arches and narrow Egyptian feet. The lining is super comfortable!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Risports are fairly widely sold and will fit your foot shape better than Jacksons. I wear Risports (the RF1 model) because of my high arches and narrow Egyptian feet. The lining is super comfortable
!Let's mention here that Risport is not traditionally for narrow feet.
Traditionally they are pretty decently middle range for their stock boots (if one doesn't req narrow or wide). I am neither narrow or wide and have worn Risport for years.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
!Let's mention here that Risport is not traditionally for narrow feet.
Traditionally they are pretty decently middle range for their stock boots (if one doesn't req narrow or wide). I am neither narrow or wide and have worn Risport for years.
Interesting, I'll have to remember that when I recommend them to others. I did have to special order them in the A?AA? (I'd have to get my skates out and check) but didn't realize that was unusual. I just assumed a size that narrow wasn't commonly stocked, something I meet up with regularly when buying shoes. Maybe it's only the RF1s that come that narrow? Anyway, I'll keep that in mind, as I've had other skaters at my club admiring them and I've been showing anyone who asks how my feet are not easy to fit.
:thank:

Edit: Just got around to checking my boot description online. The RF1 boot that I have comes in AA, B and C widths. I wear the AA width.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting, I'll have to remember that when I recommend them to others. I did have to special order them in the A?AA? (I'd have to get my skates out and check) but didn't realize that was unusual. I just assumed a size that narrow wasn't commonly stocked, something I meet up with regularly when buying shoes. Maybe it's only the RF1s that come that narrow? Anyway, I'll keep that in mind, as I've had other skaters at my club admiring them and I've been showing anyone who asks how my feet are not easy to fit.
:thank:

Edit: Just got around to checking my boot description online. The RF1 boot that I have comes in AA, B and C widths. I wear the AA width.
You're welcome. :)

Actually, RF3 up come in AA, B and C widths for Ladies.