Cheesefest | Golden Skate

Cheesefest

Why do you refer to pro-ams/invitationals as "cheesefests"?

• Because everyone else says it

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Because I believe they are cheesy and corny and full of fluff

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Because these events do not have a Short Program

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Because I believe these "events" aren't important

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Because they are not established Competitions

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other reasons (please elaborate...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just taking a poll to attempt to trace the history of the usage of the word, if you don't mind...

You can select multiple answers if you like, but please try to limit your choice to the one or two reasons most a factor in your usage of the word for the sake of accuracy...thanks.

(Crud- forgot to include an option for those who DON'T call these events cheesefests- oh well.)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I've always assumed that the word 'cheesefest' refers to the selling of cheese. In other words, these 'cheesefest' competitions were created to sell advertisement time (or 'cheese'). They are cloaked in the patina of semi-officialdom but we all know why they really exist -- for marketing/promotion & making big buck$.

According to this web site (click on item 6, then scroll down to "cheesefest"), the term originated in a particular event held in Wisconsin.

"cheesefest:
A made-for-TV pro, pro-am, or invitational competition with "cheesy" irregular rules and judging. Generally includes all team-format competitions, competitions with celebrity judges, competitions where the skaters are paid appearance fees, and the like. (The term "cheesefest" particularly derives from one such event held in Wisconsin, land of cheese, which featured no rules and winners determined by polling the audience.)"

I don't know whether this is true or not.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/introduction.shtml#Q6

MM

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
MM - This has been discussed on Skatefans a lot. If I remember correctly, the above definition is correct. The event in Wisconsin was really "cheesy" (and laughable) in format and since it was in Wisconsin, the same stuck. Unfortunately, most of the time the term is now misused because I certainly do not think the Japan event and Campbells can be described as cheesy.

Lucy25 said:
MM - This has been discussed on Skatefans a lot. If I remember correctly, the above definition is correct. The event in Wisconsin was really "cheesy" (and laughable) in format and since it was in Wisconsin, the same stuck. Unfortunately, most of the time the term is now misused because I certainly do not think the Japan event and Campbells can be described as cheesy.
Maybe Miso and Chiken Noodle?

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Mathman said:
According to this web site (click on item 6, then scroll down to "cheesefest"), the term originated in a particular event held in Wisconsin.

"cheesefest:
A made-for-TV pro, pro-am, or invitational competition with "cheesy" irregular rules and judging. Generally includes all team-format competitions, competitions with celebrity judges, competitions where the skaters are paid appearance fees, and the like. (The term "cheesefest" particularly derives from one such event held in Wisconsin, land of cheese, which featured no rules and winners determined by polling the audience.)"

I don't know whether this is true or not.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/introduction.shtml#Q6

MM

I put because there is no short program (I can't imagine a "true" competition with only one phase of competition for the athletes), but I also have heard the above explanation multiple times.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
There's nothing cheesy about that $50,000 first prize!!!

Besides these are OUR events, belonging to the USFSA, and they aren't dominated by $PEEDY, like all the GP events are. And no one is coerced to skate in them or threatened if they don't want to. The Campbell's and Marshall's events are good for the skaters and a thorn in $PEEDY'S side, and thats good for skating.

On the other hand, the GP series is an important part of the $PEEDY dictatorship, and fans should start waking up to that fact. The TV money that $PEEDY gets for the GP series empowers him with the many poor federations that he doles it out to. Even at the reduced level from the latest contract, that money is still an important tool for $PEEDY.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I only type "cheesesfests", in quotations, because I don't think that they are cheesy. I love them, and think that they are a great place to show what the skaters can do when there isn't so much pressure to win. A couple years ago we got to see those skaters that were ready by then at Campbell's, and the one's who obviously weren't.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
I would like to know why they still call them "Pro-Am's? These events stopped including professional skaters some time ago (at least they were entertaining then). :sheesh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Eldredgefan2001 said:
I would like to know why they still call them "Pro-Am's? These events stopped including professional skaters some time ago (at least they were entertaining then). :sheesh:

Better than Cheesefest, that's for sure. :rock: :sheesh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Because that's what everyone else calls it. At first I didn't know why it was called that but I think Joe explained it to me. I still don't get it but hey what the heck. I'm such a follower.

Dee