most embarrassing costume accidents? | Golden Skate

most embarrassing costume accidents?

Johar

Medalist
I don't know what skaters wear underneath their costumes, but haven't a few skaters had a boob pop out in the past?

I've seen a few lose their pants bottoms or laces.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well Shae completely fell out one year

Gregory & Petukhov almost had that same problem at us nationals in their Snow costumes. They had added to the beadwork on Melissa's dress and it was a constant distraction for her. Loved the costumes that year for them though :)

Matt Savoie hit the boards on a jump at US nationals in 03 (?) and it ripped the pantstrap and the ref stopped him and had him restart....

heyang

Record Breaker
My nomination is for Mike Weiss. I think it was his Beethoven routine and I dont' remember the exact competition.

Anyway, he was wearing a black outfit. During a spin, I notice a patch of white on his butt. Mikey split his pants and his tighty whities were visible through the rip on his black outfit. I can only assume that he must wear underwear that matches his outfit now.

who was it that stretched out her partners sleeve when it got caught on her?

I also seem to recall Jenni and Todd having to skate in an embrace because her costume get hooked on his. They were signaling to their coach John Nicks to halt the routine due to malfunction.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
heyang said:
I also seem to recall Jenni and Todd having to skate in an embrace because her costume get hooked on his. They were signaling to their coach John Nicks to halt the routine due to malfunction.

Hahaha I remember that. I think it was at the 1994 worlds. Her skate blade got caught in his pants lol.

There was this incident at the 1993 Nationals...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/TonyaHarding-1993-nats.jpg

Eeyora

Final Flight
There has been many reports of an incident occuring with Katarina Witt at it might have been German Nationals or Europeans in 1988 prior to the Olympics in which she had a malfunction in her blue show girl outfit.

At either SA or Nats Tonya Harding's much to small red dress came open in the back. This was of course in 94. The year of the boot lace breaking during the olympics and the screw coming loose of her skate at Skate America.

dr.frog

On the Ice
Eeyora said:
There has been many reports of an incident occuring with Katarina Witt at it might have been German Nationals or Europeans in 1988 prior to the Olympics in which she had a malfunction in her blue show girl outfit.

That wasn't the showgirl outfit, it was another blue dress that looked like a nightgown. I've seen the photo. Ho-hum.

At either SA or Nats Tonya Harding's much to small red dress came open in the back. This was of course in 94. The year of the boot lace breaking during the olympics and the screw coming loose of her skate at Skate America.

Tonya's dress came apart at 1993 Nationals, not in 1994. The loose screw happened at Skate America in the fall of 1993.

dr.frog

On the Ice
heyang said:
My nomination is for Mike Weiss. I think it was his Beethoven routine and I dont' remember the exact competition.

That was "Carmen", not Beethoven, and it happened at a Skate America -- 1998 or 1999?

dr.frog

On the Ice
To add to the list, once Tim Goebel skated an entire program with his fly open. I think it might have been 1999 NHK Trophy.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Petri Kokko skated a good portion of the free dance (with Susanna Rahkamo) at the 92 Worlds with a huge rip in the back of his pants. Sports Illustrated's comment was "Don't they sell underwear in Helsinki? Yech." I didn't actually see it myself, so I guess one must draw their own conclusions as to the overall effect....:biggrin:

I saw 2 minor mishaps at the '98 US Nats in Philadelphia.
One was a skater that I don't even know the name of...it was something to do with the shoulder area of her costume...she tried to start her program 2 or 3 times before they finally found a pin or something to hold her costume together.
Also, with pairs skaters...Lyons and Wells...they did a throw-catch move(split twist I guess) and when Wells caught Lyons, his thumb went right up the bottom of her costume, gave her a super-wedgie on the one buttock...it happened practically right in front of my face. She yanked it down as soon as she was back on her feet at the completion of the throw and catch.

Johar

Medalist
I remember skimming an adult mens' magazine and they had a picture of a skater doing a move, and alot of her pubic hair was visible. I assume she was wearing tights, but it was still visible.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I remember an article or interview with Anton S. and a costume malfunction came up about Elena. I guess her top part of her costume fell off. Anton didn't mind. :sheesh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Johar said:
I remember skimming an adult mens' magazine and they had a picture of a skater doing a move, and alot of her pubic hair was visible. I assume she was wearing tights, but it was still visible.
Okay, now that is just GROSS on a multitude of levels! :laugh: :eek:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rory Flack Burkhart had one the year she won one of the pro competitions. She skated to Aretha Franklin and the bottom of her green costume was a little too revealing. My teenaged nephew and his friend were present and provided their own color commentary that was much different than what was broadcast on TV.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Wasn't there an incident with Denkova and Staviski that was somewhat similar to the TT/MM never-ending sleeve incident, except (I think) involving the pant leg? Or am I imagining things?

Vash01

Medalist
CzarinaAnya said:
I remember an article or interview with Anton S. and a costume malfunction came up about Elena. I guess her top part of her costume fell off. Anton didn't mind. :sheesh:

It did not actually come off on the ice. They exited the ice in time, so the audience did not see anything, but realized that there was a costume malfunction. This happened in Jan/Feb 2003 at the Valentine's day special in Tucson, AZ.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
I recall being at sectionals about 3 years ago, and McCaustlin and Davies (Cdn. pair that no longer skate together) had an issue just prior to their free skate program.

They had beautiful costumes for their Gone With the Wind program, hers being a white dress with a two layer chiffon skirt and emerald green beading over it. They were out for warm up and Lindsay tried her axel and fell out of it. You could see her pull at the hem of her dress, and she tried again. You could see the panic on her face as she continued to attempt jumps and kept trying to adjust the skirt on her costume. She skated over to her coach, now in tears, and you could see his obvious frustration with her. She then skated up to the boards and was signalling to what I would assume was her mother for a pair of scissors. Mom went down to the boards with scissors, and next thing I saw was Lindsay cutting the top layer of chiffon right off of her dress.

I heard later that it was the first time she had tried jumping in the new costume, and the beading was too heavy and was throwing her off center. All I could think of was the hundreds of dollars spent on the dress, and there she is with a pair of manicure scissors cutting the skirt off!'

Canuck

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
sk8tngcanuck said:
I heard later that it was the first time she had tried jumping in the new costume, and the beading was too heavy and was throwing her off center.
I don't get this at all. How can you never skate in the costume before the competition at least to see how it feels when you MOVE? :p

Speaking of beaded costumes, I always wondered why beads were allowed on costumes. I keep expecting one or two or a few to fall off on the ice and ruining someone else's skate. But then again, I'm paranoid.