most embarrassing costume accidents? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

most embarrassing costume accidents?

dr.frog

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan said:
I saw 2 minor mishaps at the '98 US Nats in Philadelphia.
One was a skater that I don't even know the name of...it was something to do with the shoulder area of her costume...she tried to start her program 2 or 3 times before they finally found a pin or something to hold her costume together.

That was Amy Evidente, who is still competing, BTW, but who hasn't made it back to Nationals since then.

Also, with pairs skaters...Lyons and Wells...they did a throw-catch move(split twist I guess) and when Wells caught Lyons, his thumb went right up the bottom of her costume, gave her a super-wedgie on the one buttock...it happened practically right in front of my face. She yanked it down as soon as she was back on her feet at the completion of the throw and catch.

Actually, I believe what happened there is that she got a big rip in her tights right at the panty line, and it kept getting bigger and bigger as the program continued.

Speaking of pairs skaters and wedgies, though.... Natalia Mishkutenok in the short program at the Albertville Olympics. She artfully tried to pull it out during the death spiral. :laugh: Twist lifts seem to cause a lot of costume problems for female pairs skaters; I don't understand why the girls don't wear full-length leggings.

BTW, another problem with an inappropriate costume for pairs happened at 2001 Four Continents, when Annabelle Langlois was wearing an outfit with a beaded fringe skirt. Right at the beginning of the program, her partner got tangled up in it on one of their pair moves, with the end result that beads exploded all over the ice. After several minutes of the skaters and sweepers trying to clean up the mess, the event referee decided an emergency Zamboni break was necessary.

rain

Record Breaker
I remember the one with Shae-Lynn Bourne - what made it so bad was that not only did the top of her costume slip to give a full view of one breast, but she and her partner were at that moment being featured on the arena's massive jumbotron, so it was HUGE.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
I don't get this at all. How can you never skate in the costume before the competition at least to see how it feels when you MOVE? :p

Speaking of beaded costumes, I always wondered why beads were allowed on costumes. I keep expecting one or two or a few to fall off on the ice and ruining someone else's skate. But then again, I'm paranoid.

RGal, I think that's one of the reasons why they have beads hahaha.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the one about Mike Weiss splitting his pants reminded me of Kurt Browning at Ice Wars in 01(?) where he was skating to Funky Music (dubbed by many as Brickhouse Part II) and Scott Hamilton announced that right before he took the ice he came up to the booth and said he had to find someone who could sew because he'd just split his pants :laugh: Poor guy was trying to keep from having an embarrassing moment and Scott let the world know anyway :laugh:

but my those were some fine looking pants :love:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
^Toni
giggle.gif

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's 2 Old Costume malfunctions

In their 1984 Olympic exhibition, Klimova and Pomarenko skated a large section of their exhibition with his entire costume front wide open, from a fastening at the point of his vee neck right down to his crotch, showing all the details of his belly button and underwear.

Judy Blumberg wore a costume at US Nationals in 1982 in Pittsburg that was covered with feathers and dingle dongles of various kinds. She was shedding throughout the program, and just as she went to take her final pose, she tripped over a feather and flew about 20 feet sliding across the ice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
CzarinaAnya said:

what! they were very nice....

so very very nice:love:

ok I really need to stay away from colds and the meds that make me loopy:eek:hwell:

lotusland

On the Ice
I can't remember the exact competition, sometime pre-2000 before she went to the short pixie hair style. I remember being shocked to see one half of Poland's ice dance team, Sylwia Nowak, being featured on the front page of our Sports Section ... seems her top either broke free or was pulled down during their dance and she, unaware of the problem, was photographed beaming from ear to ear with one breast high lighting the shot! Oops!!

rjulie510

Rinkside
Who could forget Shae-Lynn Bourne's accident? I saw pictures and just by looking at pictures I was mortified. The most unbelievable part was knowing what happened to her dress, Shae simply went on to finish the program.

CDMM1991

Medalist
rjulie510 said:
Who could forget Shae-Lynn Bourne's accident? I saw pictures and just by looking at pictures I was mortified. The most unbelievable part was knowing what happened to her dress, Shae simply went on to finish the program.

What year, program, and event was that?

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
what! they were very nice....

so very very nice:love:

ok I really need to stay away from colds and the meds that make me loopy:eek:hwell:

Hey, we like ya when you're medicated. Makes things more interesting,
uhohhide.gif

screech

Final Flight
Well now I'm just going to be completely blatantly obvious and mention Jeff's pants at Skate Canada. Luckily it looked like he was wearing black boxer-briefs underneath, cause that rip was approaching the danger zone, and if he wasn't wearing them...

southwest wind

Rinkside
World Championships 2003.
Shae lynn's costume was mostly net across the bodice. The red heart was on the right covering everything essential but there were only swirls and black net on the left. In the picture on the link (scroll down)

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/news/2002_2003/tn0203_worlds8.cfm

you can see a dressmakers cup that covered her, but in the medal/anthem ceremony it must have slipped since there were very visible curves, right at "medal height". Speedy must have enjoyed it.

sww