Evening With Champions | Golden Skate

Evening With Champions

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I just saw the Evening With Champions - the annual figure skating show organized by Harvard students that benefits the Jimmy Fund. Below are my impressions (just my impressions, nothing else; I have a lot to say about some, and almost nothing of others - that doesn't mean I find someone bad). Also, I was sorry that Weir bailed out on the show, he was one of the reasons I went. Also, I'd like to mention that in general the show was well put together in terms of going from weaker to stronger skaters. I'll mention the few glaring exceptions.

First, a group came out to sing the national anthem. Unfortunately, they all had small voices, and it was just rather sad. The opening group act was rather pathetic; some skaters even fell. The only ones who saved it from being a complete disaster were Gordeeva and Kulik (mainly Katya). Then came the performers:

1. A local 9-year old girl. Cute. Audience is really great and supportive.
  2. A local novice level pair. Had very decent synchornization, especially on spins which were done right in front of my nose. Smooth edges. No real jumps. For novice level, decent lifts and death spiral. Beautiful end pose, though they didn't hold it long enough. Overall, a kind of performance that looks really boring on TV, but is nice in person.
  3. Harvard Skating Club. 14 girls and 1 boy. Some of the girls weren't too bad, while others could hardly skate.
  4. Julia Vlassov and Drew Meekins. They're based in Mass, so I gues they're considered local. Nice death spiral. Too much "stop and go" in the program, though they can also pick up speed. Their lifts need to be more elegant. Nice pair spiral. Lost speed at the end. Feels like they could really become good, but it's a long way to go.
  5. Danielle Kahle. Good speed, mature quality to her skating. The program, though, is rather empty.
  6. Kelly Smith
  7. Stiegled & Magerovsky He has a baletic quality to his skting. She relates well both to him and to the music; is flexible. Graceful positions. He should relate more to music, and she should be less frentic. Overall, I liked them a lot, perhaps because of a maturity in their (especially in his) skating.

Here, Paul interviewed some people in the audience while props were brought on the ice
  8. Act I of Boston. Ice theater - "American in Paris". Fun, audience loved it.
  9. Matt Savoie - showed his short. I loved it! He skates with so much emotion, it's wonderful. He did three triples. I'm not sure the program was CoP friendly, though, as it had a lot of "just skating around".
  10. Daria Grinkova. I couldn't believe they had her go after the 2004 bronze medalist! OK, so they let her skate in this show because of her parents, but put her in the very beginning with the local skaters where she belongs. Her only claim to fame is her pedegree, and I don't think that's what counts. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't have anything against Daria, but I do wonder, what with Gordeeva and Kulik agreeing to do this show pretty late in the game, if this was one of their conditions. She is, though, very cute, and she is beginning to develop.
  11. Haydenettes. They had a huge fan base in the audience!

Intermission
  12. Protopopovs. Why they didn't have them close the show as they did last year, I'll never know (though it does, once again, make me wonder if that was one of Gordeeva & Kulik's conditions). They were so incredible, I pitied the poor kids who had to follow them. At 73 and 70, they are still strong, and as graceful as ever. She makes occasional missteps, he seems perfect. They did a couple of death spirals, and a couple of lifts. I had goose bumps throughout their performace. They got a partial standing ovation. Then Paul talked to them, and announced an encore. For the encore, they did a new program to Russian folk song "Volga"; it's a woman reminiscing about the great Russian river, and ending with the words "and I at 17..." The way they looked at each other at their final pose of the program was just priceless (I cried). They both looked very happy afterwards.
  13. A dance team. I don't think anyone was really watching, so emotional was the Protopopovs' performance.
  14. Ryan Bradley. High jumps. A rather repetitive program.
  15. Galler-Rabinowitz & Mitchell. What was it with all the dancers (GR&M, S&M, M&Z) all doing saucy numbers? I felt they all did them just to hide their flows, and to look, well, sexy. Besides, I didn't like the costumes much, except for Magerovsky's more restrained one. Anyway, back to GR&M. I felt the passion they were acting out was fake. They were out of synch sometimes. Overall, wasn't too impressed.
  16. Jen Robinson Sorry to the Canadian fans, but I never really liked her. Now that she has almost no jumps, it hasn't become better.
  17. Matthews & Zavozin. More difficulty than Steagler & Magerovsky. Liked them, but expected more. Audience like them less than GR&M.

Paul interviewed some more people, including John Mish Pitkevich
  18. Cousins, Gordeeva, Kulik (in sequence, not together :) ). Audience went wild. Paul introduced Katya very nicely as "perfection on ice". Ilya had some crazy innovative choreography. A very nice finish to the show, but I still think that finishing with the Protopopovs would have been more appropriate.

I finishing number feathered all the skaters except for the group acts and the local kids, with Protopopovs coming out at the very end.

Overall, I enjoyed the show a lot. Even though in Boston it was raining all day, and we were all wet before walking from the parking lot to the theater (it's a few minutes of a walk, since the arena is in Brighton). They even had to delay the start so everyone could find their seats.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the review!!!

About Protopov´s, maybe they closed the show in past season if there were no other, especially newer Olympic champions or otherwise real big name US skaters participating? I´d imagine that the organizers choose those that they regard as the biggest name to close the show, and not go by what the skaters might wish? Anyway, I would see Ilia´s "Rockit" as a very appropriate closing number indeed. On the other hand I agree that it was really appropriate that the Protopov´s were the last skaters to be featured in the finishing number. After all, they have faithfully participated during soooo many years in this show.

I agree with you about Daria´s placement, but would not believe that Katia and Ilia wanted her to participate, or made other conditions. You see, Daria has participated in some shows on TV, and there seems to be plenty of interest towards her (= because she is the daughter of G&G). That is the reason she gets being invited.

I notice from http://hcs.harvard.edu/~ewc/index.htm that the Saturday´s show has been sold out. How was it on Friday? And one more question, did they tape this Friday show?

Last edited:
Thanks Ptichka for the review. I'm glad I didn't try to get there although I would have loved to see Ilia's crazy innovative choreography. I'm wondering if Daria wants to take skating seriously.

The two second tier American skaters you saw (Kahle and Bradley) are battling it out in Sectional.s to get into US Nationals. They should have been entertaining especially Bradley. Steigler and Magerovsky want that 3rd spot for the Olys. Matt has an endearing style when he skates, and for me, he is quite musical but he's up against some tough competitors.

Yes, indeed. The stars Protopopovs should have been last to skate.

By The Way - The Ice Theatre of New York is presenting a gala on Oct. 17 in honor of Aja Zanova -how many fans remember her? I think she was a former Czech gold medalist and toured the US in many shows of her time.

Also on the bill will be Navka and Kostomarov.

The company has a good fan base, and very professional skaters and choreographers (I particularly like David Liu). I'm sure Kathleen Healy will do a number.

I can't make the gala but there are 4 performances. Hope to get to one of them and hope N&K will skate on those nights.

Joe

brad640

On the Ice
Thanks Ptichka. I loved reading your review. I'm glad the Protopopovs were great. I love their skating and their activism in the sport. I hope they issue more statements about corruption in the sport and how CoP has made things worse.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the review....I would simply love to see the Protopovos live...I can't imagine them doing lifts at this age, and I mean that with all do respect (I'm not trying to be 'ageist' here); it's just darn impressive.

I totally hear what you are saying about Daria's appearance placement, but I am just wondering how did she skate? Is she enjoyable to watch?

Also, do we think Weir bailed out to get more practice time in (seems like he needs to get his jumps back, among other things)? Thanks again.

Dyan

On the Ice
Ptichka thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I love watching the Protopopov's; when you skate as they do who needs huge tricks. They are :love: .

I think the reason the dancers seem to be doing the sexy thing is because of the Latin OD's. Except for Stiegler/Magerovsky (I hope Sergei doesn't get overlooked again at Nationals as he is a wonderful dancer) the dancers all skated their OD's. And aren't Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell from the Boston area? Not to say they didn't deserve their applause as they look better than they ever have this season IMO but being at home might partially explain why their applause was greater than Morgan and Max's.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ptichka, thanks for the review! I am looking forward to the televised event (I am hoping my sister will tape it for me).

I was in Boston last week and just could not drive up again, but I really-really wanted to see the Prototopovs. Maybe next year..

Thanks again!

Yana

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dyan - that makes sense. To me, all three dance teams were nice to watch.

As to Daria - she was OK to watch, but not even close to even Kahle's level.

Jaana - Friday was certainly not sold out; there were very many empty seats.

lulu

Final Flight
but I do wonder, what with Gordeeva and Kulik agreeing to do this show pretty late in the game, if this was one of their conditions.

I don't know Gordeeva or Kulik personally, but I doubt that they made it one of their conditions that they would appear in the show only if Daria would skate in it.
Like Jaana said, there is a lot of interest in her because she is the daughter of Gordeeva and Grinkov; and as a result she gets opportunities that other skaters don't get. I doubt Katia told the producers she would only skate in the show if Daria got to skate in EWC too.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
As to Daria - she was OK to watch, but not even close to even Kahle's level.
Well, that makes sense. Daria's a middle of the pack Juvenile skater, and Kahle's a middle of the pack Senior skater. I agree that Daria maybe shouldn't be included in these shows--she isn't anything special except who her parents are.:sheesh:

jesslily

Final Flight
Her parents probably think it's a good chance for Daria to learn how to present herself in front of audiance. I heard that Daria has very good speed and power, but the jumps are not that consistent. Maybe she was nervious in competitions. The best way to fix this problem is skating at big events as many as possible.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ptichka said:
Jaana - Friday was certainly not sold out; there were very many empty seats.

Thanks for the info! After I asked about that, I read on FSUniverse that it was almost full and from SkateFans list that it ws about 3/4 full. It was mentioned that it was good for a Friday night.

On the EWC website it was earlier mentioned that the Saturday show was sold out (I understood from a posting that it has not happened lately), but now there are some seats available. I´d imagine because of the bad weather, as e.g. a friend of mine was not able to travel from NYC there because of the floods.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dyan said:
And aren't Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell from the Boston area? Not to say they didn't deserve their applause as they look better than they ever have this season IMO but being at home might partially explain why their applause was greater than Morgan and Max's.
Actually, I just looked it up - not only are they fron the area, but Loren has been accepted to Harvard and is just defering for 1 year to train. Here is an Article about it (you can look up an e-mail to log in at bugmenot.com).

Also, apparently the song the Protopopovs skated their encore to was not a folk song, just one made to sound tht way. Also, accordnig to the words it's actually a man rather than a woman reminiscing, but it's still a woman singing it.

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Is it going to be broadcast on local and/or cable TV? Or just on-line somewhere? (I can't view anything on-line. Dial up connection would choke to death.) If it's TV, any channel/air time? I get Boston stations up here in NH. Glad I didn't try to go, though--I'd have drowned. It can stop raining ANY TIME NOW.

*sigh* I'd love to see the Protopopovs skate in person. Sounds like overall a great show. And yeah--on the one hand, it's rather unfair that Daria gets such billing at her level...but on the other hand, I feel kind of bad for her--her parents weren't just two-time OGM winners, they had the whole love story with a tragic ending complete with book and tv special. And then stepdad has an OGM. That can't be easy for her, even if they don't put any pressure on her themselves.

A note on Daria: She's 13 and already about 5'6" (my assessment just by eye--she was in shoes; saw her last year at SOI in Connecticut when Katia was with the troupe and Ilia was the guest star). So I don't know if a ladies singles career is in her future.

Doesn't count out a singles career for her, but the greater the height, the tougher the jumps, especially with women. Daria's height, especially if she grows more, would make her physically more suited to ice dancing, IMO.

In any case, with her smile and charisma, I think she could also be an actress or anything she puts her mind to.

If you were/are a fan of G&G, especially the first time you see Daria, I think most people are at least a little struck or get choked up some. She looks so much like Sergei.

Rgirl

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
julietvalcouer said:
Is it going to be broadcast on local and/or cable TV? Or just on-line somewhere? (I can't view anything on-line. Dial up connection would choke to death.) If it's TV, any channel/air time? I get Boston stations up here in NH. Glad I didn't try to go, though--I'd have drowned. It can stop raining ANY TIME NOW.

I already posted this info I got from CN8 on another thread, but here it is once more:

> "An Evening with Champions" is scheduled to air on CN8 Sunday, October 23rd at 9pm and will be replayed on Saturday, October 29th at 6:30pm.

You can watch CN8 on your computer by logging onto www.cn8.tv and selecting "CN8 LIVE!" (We recommend a high speed internet connection such as a cable modem or DSL for best viewing.) >

CN8 also mentioned that New England web feed has been experiencing technical difficulties, and recommended for me to use the Mid Atlantic site instead. Here is the link for Mid Atlantic:

http://www.cn8.tv/channel/article.asp?lArticleID=4664&lChannelID=604&subhead=cn8live

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ptichka said:
[*] Protopopovs. Why they didn't have them close the show as they did last year, I'll never know (though it does, once again, make me wonder if that was one of Gordeeva & Kulik's conditions).

I would like to add something to my previous posting. Although I did not mention it earlier, I remember Protopov´s and their great and so elegant skating very well from their eligible days. As a matter of fact I was something like a fan of theirs, too... And it is really sooo wonderful and very admirable that they are still performing in a show!!! What a pair... LOL, I wonder how many present day skaters are still skating for the audience in their age!

What bothered me though a bit, was the innuendo in Ptichka´s review that Ilia and Katia had some participation conditions concerning the closing of the show. First I would like to point out that there was also Steven Cousins who skated in the end of the show (before Katia), LOL. Besides there were also some other skaters that skated between Protopov´s and Steven Cousins...

Secondly, here is a link for Sandra Loosemore´s old review from the 1996 show

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/ewc-1996.txt

The Protopov´s were not closing the show in that time either. I would strongly assume that the reason the Protopov´s closed the special 2004 Jubilee show was totally rightfully because their great skating career and their long time faithful participation in this Harvard show (since 1988 or 1989). It though seems to vary every year who is closing the show...

Here more reviews by Sandra Loosemore, this time from 1999 and 2001 show:

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/1999-ewc.shtml
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2001-ewc.shtml

My point is that it is not at all like Protopov´s are closing the show always or even now and then, but Ilia only got to close this 2005 show only because of some participation condition, LOL.

Last edited:

imanta

Rinkside
Rgirl--are you sure Daria's 5'6"? In relatively recent pics with her standing next to Katia & she still looked shorter than Katia.

Imanta,
No, I can't be sure. As I said, it was just from sight. It was also just six months ago. Growth spurts are oh so common during puberty, so the difference between Daria's height from a year ago vs. six months ago, if the photo you saw was, for example, taken six months earlier than when I saw Daria, could conceivably be one or two inches.

In the photo you saw, did it show if both Katia and Daria were wearing the same footwear? If Katia was in skates and Daria in shoes, that would make Daria look just about as tall as Katia. Also, when I saw Daria last March, she was standing next to Artur Dmitriev's son, who is about 16, IIRC, and at least as tall as Kulik, who is 5'11. And no, to all who may be--are certainly, lol--wondering about any :love: that might be blossoming between Daria and Artur's son, I don't know of nor have heard of any rumors to that effect. All I heard is that his nickname is ArturD2, a la "Star Wars." :rock:

Now that we're all confused, including me, how about if I say Daria looked to me to be about 5'5 to 5'6? :)

Rgirl