Help needed with first skates | Golden Skate

Help needed with first skates

HJSkates

Spectator
Hi!

I really want to purchase my first pair of figure skates, and I don’t want to make a mistake. I see there is a tremendous amount of wisdom on this forum and I am hoping you will help me.

I am a 44 year old female in Knoxville, Tennessee (US) who has some lifelong ice skating experience, and a very strong in-line skating background. On ice I can skate backwards, do swizzles both directions, forward crossovers, forward one foot glides. I have never taken a class or been coached. I have only used rentals. I want to begin taking classes very soon, so obviously I expect my skill set to increase and want a higher than entry level skate that will grow with my skills. So I want a skate that I can eventually do *some* jumps with, as I can do jumps on in-line skates.

I am 5’9,” 170 lbs., Greek-ish foot type, normal arch. I was fitted tonight at the only local authorized Jackson retailer, by the only fitter they have. He did not measure my feet at all, even when asked. He only tried one size on me, which is larger than my street size by 1/2-1 full size. He strongly recommended Jackson Freestyles, which I tried on in size 10R. They felt very uncomfortable through the ball of my foot, and especially my pinky toe. I thought I might need a wider width. I tried on a pair of Jackson Artistes in size 10B just to check the width difference and honestly, they felt more comfortable everywhere, but most definitely in width. I came home and asked my husband to carefully outline my feet on paper (after watching a measuring video by Jackson on YouTube) and the measurements (10 1/8” long and 9.25” around the widest part) would put me in size 9C. I don’t feel like I’m getting the highest quality measurement and fitting at the dealer. They only carry Jackson and Riedell, I believe, so I also feel like that might be a limitation. The Freestyles honestly were not very comfortable on my foot, but perhaps that would change after heat molding. I felt like the angle had my feet sliding down which was jamming the ball of my foot and my outer toes uncomfortably against the skate. My big toe and second toe were not at the end of the toe of the boot, however. It felt like I wanted a larger toe box, but maybe my toes were just feeling claustrophobic.

I really don’t know what to do. One of the coaches at our rink is capable of ordering from Jackson, and she has measured my feet before (I don’t remember what size she recommended), but she doesn’t have the ability to heat mold or sharpen the blades, so I really hesitate to order from her. I prefer to stay local, but could drive a few hours (Nashville perhaps?) to get a great fit and the right skates. I really want these to last a lot of years and I do not want to be uncomfortable in them.

I have also had lengthening surgery on the 4th metatarsal of both feet, which probably makes my feet a bit wider, and caused that metatarsal to have a bit of an arch, rather than being straight as it should be. This can cause some sensitivity when there is pressure on the top of my foot. I also have some arthritis in that metatarsal.

I really appreciate your expertise. Thank you so much in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi!

I really want to purchase my first pair of figure skates, and I don’t want to make a mistake. I see there is a tremendous amount of wisdom on this forum and I am hoping you will help me.

I am a 44 year old female in Knoxville, Tennessee (US) who has some lifelong ice skating experience, and a very strong in-line skating background. On ice I can skate backwards, do swizzles both directions, forward crossovers, forward one foot glides. I have never taken a class or been coached. I have only used rentals. I want to begin taking classes very soon, so obviously I expect my skill set to increase and want a higher than entry level skate that will grow with my skills. So I want a skate that I can eventually do *some* jumps with, as I can do jumps on in-line skates.

I am 5’9,” 170 lbs., Greek-ish foot type, normal arch. I was fitted tonight at the only local authorized Jackson retailer, by the only fitter they have. He did not measure my feet at all, even when asked. He only tried one size on me, which is larger than my street size by 1/2-1 full size. He strongly recommended Jackson Freestyles, which I tried on in size 10R. They felt very uncomfortable through the ball of my foot, and especially my pinky toe. I thought I might need a wider width. I tried on a pair of Jackson Artistes in size 10B just to check the width difference and honestly, they felt more comfortable everywhere, but most definitely in width. I came home and asked my husband to carefully outline my feet on paper (after watching a measuring video by Jackson on YouTube) and the measurements (10 1/8” long and 9.25” around the widest part) would put me in size 9C. I don’t feel like I’m getting the highest quality measurement and fitting at the dealer. They only carry Jackson and Riedell, I believe, so I also feel like that might be a limitation. The Freestyles honestly were not very comfortable on my foot, but perhaps that would change after heat molding. I felt like the angle had my feet sliding down which was jamming the ball of my foot and my outer toes uncomfortably against the skate. My big toe and second toe were not at the end of the toe of the boot, however. It felt like I wanted a larger toe box, but maybe my toes were just feeling claustrophobic.

I really don’t know what to do. One of the coaches at our rink is capable of ordering from Jackson, and she has measured my feet before (I don’t remember what size she recommended), but she doesn’t have the ability to heat mold or sharpen the blades, so I really hesitate to order from her. I prefer to stay local, but could drive a few hours (Nashville perhaps?) to get a great fit and the right skates. I really want these to last a lot of years and I do not want to be uncomfortable in them.

I have also had lengthening surgery on the 4th metatarsal of both feet, which probably makes my feet a bit wider, and caused that metatarsal to have a bit of an arch, rather than being straight as it should be. This can cause some sensitivity when there is pressure on the top of my foot. I also have some arthritis in that metatarsal.

I really appreciate your expertise. Thank you so much in advance!
HI and welcome. You're going to need a bit wider boot and also, b/c of your height/weight stats will need a stronger boot. You may want to try Risport RF3. Know that figure skates are not supposed to be super comfortable, they're (many of them still) made out of stiff, hard leather and it's not like wearing a nice pair of uggs or running shoes. Figure skate boots also do not last forever and you're lucky if you get a bit over a year in each pair especially as you advance. The boots you will need will also require you purchase a separate blade. A good traditional intermediate blade like MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace will do the job at this point. You could also look at Ultima 7 or 8, just know that brand is known to have a flatter rocker.

Now, regarding the fitter, stay away if that is how it went. And also just b/c it says they are a "local authorized Jackson retailer" does not mean they are an expert figure skate fitter. It could just a be a pro shop (this does not mean all pro shops are bad) or a place that specializes in fitting hockey and just happen to sell lower stock Jackson set-ups for rec skaters.
Try Rainbo Sports Southeast in Nashville. Your next best bet would require travel to Indianapolis (DK Skate shop--if they are a true figure skating shop and not hockey).

I would not give up on Jackson with your feet, you just need the right boot which may be a rapid custom for your feet issues: The Synergy Elite could possibly give you what you need.

Good luck!

Last edited:

HJSkates

Spectator
HI and welcome. You're going to need a bit wider boot and also, b/c of your height/weight stats will need a stronger boot. You may want to try Risport RF3. Know that figure skates are not supposed to be super comfortable, they're (many of them still) made out of stiff, hard leather and it's not like wearing a nice pair of uggs or running shoes. Figure skate boots also do not last forever and you're lucky if you get a bit over a year in each pair especially as you advance. The boots you will need while also require you purchase a separate blade. A good traditional intermediate blade like MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace will do the job at this point. You could also look at Ultima 7 or 8, just know that brand is known to have a flatter rocker.

Now, regarding the fitter, stay away if that is how it went. And also just b/c it says they are a "local authorized Jackson retailer" does not mean they are an expert figure skate fitter. It could just a be a pro shop (this does not mean all pro shops are bad) or a place that specializes in fitting hockey and just happen to sale lower stock Jackson set-ups for rec skaters.
Try Rainbo Sports Southeast in Nashville. Your next best bet would require travel to Indianapolis (DK Skate shop).

I would not give up on Jackson with your feet, you just need the right boot which may be a rapid custom for your feet issues: The Synergy Elite could possibly give you what you need.

Good luck!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so helpful!

I looked up Risport dealers and wondered if you are at all familiar with Skateworld in Huntsville, AL, or Pelham Civic Complex near Birmingham? We are planning to be at the Pelham location later this spring for a figure skating competition with my 5 year old daughter and we are also regularly in Alabama visiting family, so those may be easy places for me to visit.

You really confirmed my thoughts about the fitter. He has decades of fitting and figure skating experience, but after reading many of the posts here, I realized that there were some red flags there. He raved about the Freestyles and that they would last me for many years, but I couldn’t get over how many spots on my feet that felt uncomfortable just in try on, and I could imagine they would be miserable with wear. This same fitter put a friend of mine in Freestyles that were 1/2 size smaller than her street size. She is about as tall as me and heavier, with a speed skating background. She is not overly happy with the Freestyles. She has a narrow foot and bunion and is having to use toe spacers to make them wearable.

I definitely don’t expect any boot to feel luxurious, I know they are intended to be utilitarian, but the Freestyles were almost miserable, and unless heat molding would solve those problems, I think I would hate wearing them. And I would have to purchase them before molding, which I hesitate to do.

Thank you so much for the boot and blade recommendations! And for telling me about the Ultima rocker as well. I don’t think I would want that, based on my inline experience. I prefer a rounded rocker.

Thank you so much!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so helpful!

I looked up Risport dealers and wondered if you are at all familiar with Skateworld in Huntsville, AL, or Pelham Civic Complex near Birmingham? We are planning to be at the Pelham location later this spring for a figure skating competition with my 5 year old daughter and we are also regularly in Alabama visiting family, so those may be easy places for me to visit.

You really confirmed my thoughts about the fitter. He has decades of fitting and figure skating experience, but after reading many of the posts here, I realized that there were some red flags there. He raved about the Freestyles and that they would last me for many years, but I couldn’t get over how many spots on my feet that felt uncomfortable just in try on, and I could imagine they would be miserable with wear. This same fitter put a friend of mine in Freestyles that were 1/2 size smaller than her street size. She is about as tall as me and heavier, with a speed skating background. She is not overly happy with the Freestyles. She has a narrow foot and bunion and is having to use toe spacers to make them wearable.

I definitely don’t expect any boot to feel luxurious, I know they are intended to be utilitarian, but the Freestyles were almost miserable, and unless heat molding would solve those problems, I think I would hate wearing them. And I would have to purchase them before molding, which I hesitate to do.

Thank you so much for the boot and blade recommendations! And for telling me about the Ultima rocker as well. I don’t think I would want that, based on my inline experience. I prefer a rounded rocker.

Thank you so much!
You're welcome. I cannot say anything about the Pelham Civic location but am a bit nervous that it's hockey based, the Skateworld in Huntsville definitely is hockey/sports store centered.

I also figured that you would not like the Legacy due to your inline background but still suggested just in case, since supply of the other (MK AND JW) blades is limited right now. Just know that you are probably going to need a wide boot.

Good luck!