Missing Michelle and Jenny/Jenny should come back | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Missing Michelle and Jenny/Jenny should come back

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I know a lot Jewish women are natural thin and small frame.
Really/??! I as well as my many Jewish friends must have been in the wrong line during THAT genetic distribution. Obviously you haven't met too many Jewish women of Eastern European descent! :biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Really/??! I as well as my many Jewish friends must have been in the wrong line during THAT genetic distribution. Obviously you haven't met too many Jewish women of Eastern European descent! :biggrin:
There are several jewish communities near where had lived. At weekend you drive by, see a lot of them going to churches. Thats where I made my observation. I know there are different Jewish ehnic groups. Given Sasha's mother was a gymnastcs, and the many years that we've seen her on the scene. I believe Sasha belongs to this group of Jewish, natural small/slim body build. :biggrin:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Regarding Kristi's weight...she actually gained weight in her amateur career. She was stick thin in 1989. By 1992 she had gained muscle mass in her legs (granted she still was super thin, but you can see the difference comparatively). She mentioned lifting weights to make her stronger.

At any rate, I think Sasha's fine. Yes, she's very thin, but I think she's often this thin just usually she doesn't get to this point until late in the season. I remember Michelle saying something one time about getting into "fighting weight" or "fighting shape".

As far as eating disorders go...I think it's hard to speculate. Many people with anorexia don't look like they have it and vice versa.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
purplecat said:
At any rate, I think Sasha's fine. Yes, she's very thin, but I think she's often this thin just usually she doesn't get to this point until late in the season. I remember Michelle saying something one time about getting into "fighting weight" or "fighting shape".

As far as eating disorders go...I think it's hard to speculate. Many people with anorexia don't look like they have it and vice versa.

Maybe Sasha doesn't have an eating disorder but to get to her "fighting weight," if that's what her Campbell's weight is, she either had to starve herself or throw up. Of maybe she ran a few marathons or went on the treadmill for five hours a day, because that's how much exercise it would take for an already skinny person to lose that much weight.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I REALLY think it's a stretch for us to start speculating that she either threw up/starved herself to get to the size she is now. There is absolutely NO WAY we can know, no matter how much "evidence" might be out there. I'm not discounting it completely but I'm just saying that we can't know for sure. I think she just kicked the workouts into overdrive to prepare for this important season, and then lost weight in the process. But then, there's no way for me to know that, either.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
They put themselves in the limelight. It's not like the poster called someone stupid, or we are outing gay skaters. I think it's a concern for those of us who want to see her skate a long time.

but what is the difference???? Outing a gay skater is the same as outing a skater that has an eating disorder. It's not our business in either case. and unless you KNOW the person you really have no way to trully judge if there's truth to your statement.

:unsure:

Linny

Final Flight
Our business?

Methinks that talking about eating disorders and taking the shame out of them, treating them like the very real diseases that they are is a very GOOD thing.

Linny

BTW, No one has mentioned that Jenny always seemed rather thin to me throughout her career. I've always thought that with a bit more weight, she may have had the strength to hold the jumps.

One other postscript: Kristi's weight gain coincided with her dropping out of pairs skating. Betcha the pressure to be thin in pairs skating is INTENSE, particularly when your partner isn't particularly large.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Methinks that talking about eating disorders and taking the shame out of them, treating them like the very real diseases that they are is a very GOOD thing.

Yes but IMO talking about them and speculating (without any proof) that other people may HAVE them are two different things.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Sorry Toni

but totally disagree with your point. Speculating on health, fitness is what we do all the time. There is a huge differencein my opinion. :yes:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
They are all tiny, thin small boned

thst's what it takes to do these jumps now. Few exceptions like emily hughes, lots of muscle, there.

soogar

Record Breaker
Linny said:
One other postscript: Kristi's weight gain coincided with her dropping out of pairs skating. Betcha the pressure to be thin in pairs skating is INTENSE, particularly when your partner isn't particularly large.

Kristi's weight gain was the result of puberty. When she competed in 1989, she hadn't gone through puberty yet and that wasn't because of strict dieting. Asian girls with a build like that tend to develop much later.

Kristi went from 82 pounds to a whopping 97 pounds. Most pairs ladies are 100 pounds so she was still smaller than the average pairs lady. Rudy wasn't having any trouble in 1990 with the lifts when she gained her weight.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Skinny Sasha

I too agree that she has become too thin. I was shocked to see her at Campbell's looking this way. She did skate well and the dress is beautiful but I liked the way she looked body-wise several months ago.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Linny said:
BTW, No one has mentioned that Jenny always seemed rather thin to me throughout her career. I've always thought that with a bit more weight, she may have had the strength to hold the jumps.

she's not Sasha, therefore people really don't care to find much NEGATIVE to say about her...

unless you're a top US contender people don't care to nitpick:laugh:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
tou misunderstand toni

..it is prrecisely that they are concerned for Sasha that comments have been made on her changed appearance. Jenny is tiny, too, but not changed from last year to this from pics I saw. :)

soogar

Record Breaker
There were a lot of posts on Jenny's thinness over the past two years (esp when she was with Callaghan). Her "broadway baby" dress was sagging in the butt and you could see every bone in her body. It was painful looking at her.

ladybug

On the Ice
Is Jenny and Evan still an item now that he is on the West Coast and Jenny is back in Boston? Being so young I thought maybe they had gone their separate ways and that was why she retired. I hope not because I always enjoyed watching her skate. With her face, she should have tons of opportunities. I wish her luck with whatever she decides. :agree:

Ladybug

ranjake

Final Flight
she's definitely very thin...but she does look strong. i just sort of wish there was a LITTLE more fabric at the top of her costume...her "pecs" i found a little not in keeping with the look! not to be mean, just wishing she's add a little bit. i think she seems very focused this year. i guess we'll see!

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha was in best shape during 2002 nationals and Olymoics. She was much stronger than now, and had lots of muscles. Her jumps were much higher and more powerful, and also technically right than now. Sure she wasn't as skinny as now. But she still looked great. If you pay attention to her early year pictures, she has never been a skinny girl.

nicole_l

Final Flight
jesslily said:
If you pay attention to her early year pictures, she has never been a skinny girl.
Excepting Tanith Belbin and Qing Pang, I think Sasha is the thinnest skater at the elite level.