Kwan, Lipinski, and Hughes: A look back | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kwan, Lipinski, and Hughes: A look back

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Baffles me every time I watch Ashley's LP at Worlds (often) that they called it UR and dinged her so hard. I can't even see it in the slo-mo replay.

Me too, often. I've even slowed the slo-mo replay down to .25 speed, and I still can't see it, or how her landing differed from other skaters' that weren't called.

When it's that hard to see, it just can't be worth a 3.10 deduction.

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist
So, in the middle of the night I thought, "oops, I forgot to add in Gracie's difference in GOE between her SP and LP" ... and then I rolled over and fell asleep again. :dbana:

When I calculate what Gracie's fall cost her taking that into consideration, it comes to -4.40, not the 3.10 I thought. Sorry.:eek::

But .... it doesn't change the thrust of my post, that it's ABSOLUTELY:ddevil: FREAKING ridiculous that a not-necessarily-visible-to-the-naked-eye UR cost Ashley 3.10 points. And the same goes for Mao, Mirai, and other skaters plagued by UR calls.

With a UR, Ashley rightly got dinged on the TES as per the current rules. This is a sport after all. In gymnastics, an incomplete twist or rotation get dinged similarly. The difference to me should be reflected in PCS. A fall that disrupts the flow of the programme should have TES docked n then also on the PE component. In Ashley's case, her PE did not appear to have been docked. Besides, she already received IMO, very very generous SS components despite her rather mediocre edge work. I personally think that both Ashley and Gracie got upheld too generously.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ I respectfully disagree.