Skaters and Egyptian Music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters and Egyptian Music

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I remember seeing a picture of Torvill & Dean in full Egyptian costumes, but I never saw the program. Anyone familair with that program?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I guess this would fall under the category of "pseudo-Egyptian" or "pseudo Middle Eastern" or whatever one would want to call it, but Tatyana Malinina had a lot of success in the 97-98 and 98-99 seasons with a very charming long program done to the "Aladdin" soundtrack.

I think music of this type is great to skate to, and I almost always enjoy a program that uses it. I myself own quite a bit of it in my CD collection, but I'm always afraid to play it too loud in the current global climate for fear someone will think I'm entertaining a Middle Eastern terror cell or something.... :laugh:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Thanks for the little 'trip down Abt memory lane' Mathman...you never disappoint!!!!!! Belly-dancing or shimmying...it's all a good, good thing.....
Soon I will have photos of Sasha undulating underwater for you....now those should be interesting (as long as the camera doesn't leak, lol....).

anya_angie

Final Flight
I can think of a few skaters who have used Aladdin by Alan Menken in the past. No matter who is skating to it they always have the track Marketplace.

Angela Nikodinov, Takeshi Honda, and either Roman Serov, Roman Scorniakov, or Vincent Restencourt skated to The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith (which incidentally I am listening to now). None of them did any good to it.

Interesting note, Goldsmith refused to compose the sequel because he felt that his work for the first was "shit" LOL.

Oh Mathman, that Chinese dragon costume was Bolero.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Yeah, I remember the "Mummy" craze and I never cared much for any of those programs either. Plus you had to watch most of them come out there all wrapped up in garish colored bandages.... :laugh:

Evdokia

On the Ice
Zanzibar said:
It was probably 2000 and I think he was a last-minute replacement at Worlds.
Zanzibar – I guess the competition your are thinking of, is the GPF Final in 2000 (i.e. season 99-00): Sasha was a last minute substitute for Alexej Yagudin that time and he skated he skated his that time LP in Round A and „Songs from Victorious City“ with the belly dancing part in Round B.

I think Maria Butyrskaja too skated to that music in the past. :scratch:

Antilles

Medalist
I believe Elvis also did the Mummy one year.

A&P's program was their FD from '97. The piece was called Ahla Leila (sp?), but I don't know where it originates from.

Denkova&Staviski's FD from 2003 was wonderful. It was intricate and fit well with the music. I thought it was much better than the offerings from both L&A and B&K that year.

I love Egyptian and middle-eastern themed music, the only problem is the choreagraphy that is usually put with it is crap. Too much "Walk Like an Egyptian" posing, and then no real choreagraphy to go with the music.

Didn't K&O have a pro program to middle eastern music?

Didn't Oksana come out in an 'I Love Genie' drag after she turned show skater? I remember it looked like a borrowed costume from a Hollywood lot for one of those Ali Baba movies.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Didn't Oksana come out in an 'I Love Genie' drag after she turned show skater? I remember it looked like a borrowed costume from a Hollywood lot for one of those Ali Baba movies.

Joe

That was her progrm to Peter Gabriel's "The Passion".

anya_angie

Final Flight
Antilles said:
I believe Elvis also did the Mummy one year.

I knew I forgot one!

Maria Butyrskaya also did a program she called Cleopatra, but to my knowledge didn't use any of the soundtrackjs that were done, and I don't know if this is what you're referring to about K&O, but they did a program to Cleopatra too.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
Sasha Abt Egyptian-style music, in a program many years back - think it was a long program where the costume was gold lame, with gold and black top and an enormous Egyptian eye on the chest. It was probably 2000 and I think he was a last-minute replacement at Worlds. Had some cute little Egyptian-style arm movements and shimmies, LOL, as only Sasha could successfully pull off.

He did indeed and Maria Burtyskaya used the same piece of music in an SP the season (or two ) before that. She wore a truly heinous green outfit and had red hair for it. I lvoe the piece of music and spent a l;ong time tracking it down - its Called Ziggarats of Cinamon...i'm hoping to skate to it in my next competition.

Ant

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Antilles said:
IA&P's program was their FD from '97. The piece was called Ahla Leila (sp?), but I don't know where it originates from.

thanks for the correction and clarification, I must've been sleeping when I called that program a short :) Maybe I was thinking of Marina's costume that she she used for part of the season, which was very short on fabric :)

Yana

Eeyora

Final Flight
How about Aladdin
used by Ilia Kulik, Tatyana Malinina and Gand G for a Disney Special.

How about Gladiator? Yes the Roman empire did spread out to Egypt
Remeber 2001 Yagudin, Abt and Urmanov.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I'd mentioned Aladdin I believe in a previous post here.

Gladiator's score does not have much ethnic sounds at all. There is a little bit in the More Music album though but not very much.

Of course you'd have to check out some comments on www.filmtracks.com about it. It's the second most popular review.

Doggygirl said:
I don't recall off the top of my head what LP music Kimmie is skating too, but wasn't she doing some sort of Egyptian looking moves in her program at Campbell's? Whether "Egyptian" or something else,I didn't care for it but that's probably just me.
It isn't just you, DG. I like Kimmie's skating. It looks much better live than on TV, IMO, and also when she uses curved, "round," open moves rather than angular ones.

Joesitz said:
Great scene is when Salome kisses the lips of John's severed head on a silver platter. Skaters, somehow do not use this bit as they would use a dagger in Madama Butterfly. I wonder why?
Piel said:
Now THAT would separate the skaters from the rest of the pack. Give them the head of Speedy on a platter to hold during the spiral sequence. Much more interesting than the BS were seeing so much of now.
Piel, :rofl: ROFLMAO&PMP :rofl:

Rgirl