Pairs Short from TV | Golden Skate

Pairs Short from TV

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
T/M :disapp: on Marinin on doubling the sbs 3toes but other then that awesome

Z/S.......needs to skate with more passion and flow

O/S wonderful team to watch

Obertas/Slavnov: Sergei, Sergei, Sergei, burn that lavender clown suit, and I mean RIGHT NOW!

Think how stunning this pair would look if he wore basic black, to set off her soft lilac. :rock:

Rusty hanger award for sure. :laugh:

Best music: Zagorska and Sidek, La Vie en Rose and Mack the Knife by Louis Armstrong :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought their easy pace perfectly suited the music. Although the commentators thought it was too "soothing" to the audience ( :laugh: ), they have plenty of time to counter with a more rambuncious LP.

MM :)

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Obertas/Slavnov: Sergei, Sergei, Sergei, burn that lavender clown suit, and I mean RIGHT NOW!

Think how stunning this pair would look if he wore basic black, to set off her soft lilac. :rock:

MM

ITA, especially about the suggestion that he wear basic black. Her costume is lovely, but I can't believe they have him in a lavender that doesn't even match the color of her costume. (and even if it did....I think it would still look strange) IMO it's an improvement on last year's day glo though.

DG

Also (speaking of Obertas and Slavnov, LOL), what was that scary music supposed to signify, the wailing of the damned? :laugh:

Mathman said:

Best music: Zagorska and Sidek, La Vie en Rose and Mack the Knife by Louis Armstrong :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought their easy pace perfectly suited the music. Although the commentators thought it was too "soothing" to the audience ( :laugh: ), they have plenty of time to counter with a more rambuncious LP.
MM :)
ITA about Slavnov's costume. I've got the lighter fluid ready.

But MATHMAN, the commentators, at least Susie Wynne, didn't say "La Vie en Rose" and "Mack the Knife" was too "soothing" to the audience. She said she thought it made them do their elements, lifts in particular, too slow, and I must say I agree. Zagorska & Suidek have great speed, but I think the music holds them back. I LOVE Louis Armstrong's versions and it's nice to see them break away from classical music, but how about something a little more up tempo--say, "Sixty Minute Man"?:p

Wowee! Totmianina and Marinin, their faces may look like the Cold War is still on but holy shamoly, are they strong and fast. I know, Max doubled his triple, but on everything else, heck, I'd hire them as body guards if I needed ones. And how hot was Tatiana in those skin tight powder blue pants. Now that's fittin'!

Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
And how hot was Tatiana in those skin tight powder blue pants. Rgirl

Hot enough where just briefly, I was concerned for a moment about my own marriage. :) She is INCREDIBLY hot in that unitard!! IMO, that's a "Gold Hanger" nomination.

DG

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
Also (speaking of Obertas and Slavnov, LOL), what was that scary music supposed to signify, the wailing of the damned? :laugh:

That beautiful music (no sarcasm here) was Concert for Coloratura by Gliere. When I first heard it at the 1998 SA, I did not like it at all, but it really grew on me. B&S skated the LP to it at the 1999 worlds. It was such a beautiful program that I felt it was rather ambitious of O&S to use that music (I am sure it was their coach's decision when they found out that the music chosen by them- Snowstorm- was going to be used by T&M). I feel that B&S owned that music (even though they did not like it) and the program. O&S don't have that level of sophistication in their skating yet, but it was probably OK for an SP. O&S skated rather well, but Sergei is no Anton. His lack of posture, lines, etc. are a real contrast to Yulia who is so lovely in her movement on the ice, very much like Elena.

I think black pants and lavender shirt would have looked better for Sergei than an all-lavender costume. They may be experimenting and may settle on a different costume.

Vash

I find O&S are coming along fine. They are not there yet but there is improvement each time I see them. They will be the Russian hope for next season.

I'm so bored with T&M. Everything is so calculated. They are like all those dancers who work so hard on technique and then never get into showing any pleasure in dancing.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Interesting. I enjoy T&M more and more each season. Somehow, Z&S never did anything for them, and I agree with the commentators that the music, beautiful as it is, didn't do much for them either. I like O&S much better this season then I did last. They seem more like a team now, as opposed to just two people skating together.

Vash01

Medalist
I watched O&S SP again and liked it better this time. They have really improved and they look like pairs skaters instead of circus performers. Some very nice moves- quite impressive. If I could avoid comparing them with B&S's interpretation of this music, O&S did just fine.

Vash

Shanti

On the Ice
Some impressions from seeing it live:

TT/MM
IMHO it's a masterpiece. Period. Even with Max doubling the toe. 2,5 minutes seemed like 20 seconds. I'm soo happy I saw it. Really.
As to their faces, well, I'm slightly short-sighted and I don't see the faces when skaters are further than 5 meters away from me :laugh:

Vash01

Medalist
I give more importance to the skating, the form, the movement than the faces. Facial expressions have been overhyped by fans and sometimes by commentators.

I liked T&M's Snowstorm but I still like Bechke & Petrov's pro version better. (Sorry, I have a habit of comparing skaters and programs).

Vash

tdnuva

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I give more importance to the skating, the form, the movement than the faces. Facial expressions have been overhyped by fans and sometimes by commentators.
In one way I can see your point. But in case of T&M lately I see more and more painful expressions. At the German gala in November I really had the impression they skate with pain AND have a hard time with each other. Someone explained to me that they indeed said in an interview they are suffering from injuries and illnesses (I don't know details though). Atm it's so much that it distracts me. I don't like those smiles either who rather look like masks. In general the expression (body and face) are a part of the overall picture and should support the interpretation of the skating rather than disturbing it. Imho.

elv

Rinkside
tdnuva said:
In one way I can see your point. But in case of T&M lately I see more and more painful expressions. At the German gala in November I really had the impression they skate with pain AND have a hard time with each other. Someone explained to me that they indeed said in an interview they are suffering from injuries and illnesses (I don't know details though). Atm it's so much that it distracts me. I don't like those smiles either who rather look like masks. In general the expression (body and face) are a part of the overall picture and should support the interpretation of the skating rather than disturbing it. Imho.

I agree with you. Face expression not a main but in too time the BIG part of interpretation. The performance with beautiful lines and great elements but with a painful faces it is not a good thing. I feel badly myself when I see it. In T/Ms Snowstorm it looks ok because the story is very tragedy and dramatic, but other performances?? (I'm sure they probably try to hide a surge, fear or pain but anyway if skaters can't enjoy their skating why they do it?)

You also right about T/M health. They have some problems. The skating more and more hard for them. It is a one of the reasons why the Olympics will be a last competition for them.

Anyway the Snowstorm was a wonderful performance. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Vash01 said:
Vash
ITA. Definitely overhyped. But some posters feel that facial expressions mean 'passion' so I know where they are coming from. I think some skaters also use facial expression to show passion. Passion is in the skating (or what I call body language). That true passion will bring realistic facial expression instead of what the choreograher suggested.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
ITA. Definitely overhyped. But some posters feel that facial expressions mean 'passion' so I know where they are coming from. I think some skaters also use facial expression to show passion. Passion is in the skating (or what I call body language). That true passion will bring realistic facial expression instead of what the choreograher suggested.

Joe

A good example of this is Elena Berezhnaya. Her facial expressions are subtle compared to some other skaters, but her whole body is so expressive. She really expresses the music through her skating. Her facial expressions are natural for her, and nothing is forced.

Vash

Vash01 said:
A good example of this is Elena Berezhnaya. Her facial expressions are subtle compared to some other skaters, but her whole body is so expressive. She really expresses the music through her skating. Her facial expressions are natural for her, and nothing is forced.Vash
Berezhnaya was a very special skater. Her expessions (and body language) were exemplary. I think she would have made a great single skater. Anton, imo, was a great actor on the ice.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Berezhnaya was a very special skater. Her expessions (and body language) were exemplary. I think she would have made a great single skater. Anton, imo, was a great actor on the ice.

Joe

I read somewhere that initially Elena was training to be a singles skater. However, after she watched G&G skate at the 1988 Olympics she decided to become a pairs skater.

Vash