Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:
ITA. Mao is an awesome young skater but she lacks the maturity of a more experienced skater like Irina or Sasha or Shizuka. I do feel she may be overmarked on the PCS simply because she is able to land all her jumps. It is a pity that Mao cannot go to the 2006 Olympics after beating the reigning world champ.

I am really concerned about Irina. She could be having health problems at the worst possible time. I hope she can be healthy for the Olympics.IMO she should skip either the Russian nationals or the Europeans.

Vash

Yeah I agree with all you said. Asada is a great young skater, but her skating is still too girlish, and flighty more my tastes. Her PCS scores are alot the rest of the difficulty of her jumps probably. Irina does really need a break to get herself back together, and help her recuperate from the aggravation the heavy competition and jet lag is putting on her.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mao won today (whether or not the scores were inflated/deflated is open to discussion). People (including myself) have been saying that Irina's scores are sometimes just too high, regarding a particular performance and relative to her respective competitors. Sometimes she spins sloppily, pumps for speed, and does not have great (if any) flow out of her jumps and gets high choreography scores (despite the Beilmanania). So to me sometimes she seems somewhat overmarked. She should just be a gracious loser (not always the case) and go on to the next competition with more determination to win. This was not the Olys and Irina had what for her is a subpar performance. That's all.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Yeah, good for Mao! I really don't care to see her go to the Olympics because I don't want to see another "teenager" win who has awesome jumps, some presentation (and it's still evolving), even though I love to watch her skate.

Given that, if she goes, she goes and more power to her. I just think Irina needs to realize that she may be used to getting higher PCS scores, but that's because some of them were "given" to her. My opinion only, but that's how I see it. No, I don't think Mao's PCS scores should be anywhere close to Sasha's or Shizuka's, but then again I don't think Irina's should be either.

But WTG, Mao!!! You rocked!:rock: :clap:

Mafke

Medalist
Anyone who wants to see Asada develop as a skater, hope that she's kept far away from the olympics, the worst thing that could happen would be for her to go and win and like the last three teen olympic champions have not much of a post olympic skating career.

I'm in favor of an age rule but think it should be more strict, no senior competition at all until the skater is at least 16, but that's me.

I've yet to see Asada skate but the PCS's for her are very suspicious (I think they're usually inflated for Slate too, choreography? from Slute? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. She's a great skater, but she's at her best when she doesn't even try to do choreography.

Enero

On the Ice
Wow Mao! Unbelievable! Congrats to her! And like others I hope she doesn't get to go to Turin otherwise it'll be no competition who'll win gold. She'd sweep it away and Irina and the others would be fighting over silver and bronze. :laugh:

I can't wait to see what this young lady brings to the sport in the future. I hope that she'll continue to push the envelope (athelitically) as well as develop into an amazing artist.

jesslily

Final Flight
Mao Asada is talented and lovely young skater. But among all the top Japanese lady skaters, I like watching Fumie's skating the best. She has the speed, flow, and fairly good jumping technique. It's great that she got her training back on the right track, and she has two outstanding program this year. I think her long is one of the best this year.

LBC

On the Ice
Mafke said:
Anyone who wants to see Asada develop as a skater, hope that she's kept far away from the olympics, the worst thing that could happen would be for her to go and win and like the last three teen olympic champions have not much of a post olympic skating career.

I'm in favor of an age rule but think it should be more strict, no senior competition at all until the skater is at least 16, but that's me.

I've yet to see Asada skate but the PCS's for her are very suspicious (I think they're usually inflated for Slate too, choreography? from Slute? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. She's a great skater, but she's at her best when she doesn't even try to do choreography.

ITA Why are the age rules for GP's diffferent than Worlds? They should be the same. If you are going to have age restrictions then make them uniform we do not get any of these controversies over age anymore as Mao would have still been a junior.

Irina looked like she skated well. This is what Irina's score is like when she gets average goe's and PCS scores that are right on. Irina has been skating in competitions where she has skated way better than everybody else and I think her PCS has reflected that but not today. A 122 is not unbeatable. She just gave Sasha hope that she's got a chance.

If Yukari makes the team with this medal then that team is going to be hard to pick. Nationals will be all important. What happens if Shizuka and Fumie beat Miki? Will 4CC's determine it all?

Alissa needs to skate better than that to make the team. Michelle's horrible QR at worlds got a better score than that. Kimmie can beat that easy.

soogar

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Yukari. What a deep Japanese team that a girl who never went to worlds and finished 11th in her GP events last year winds up making the Olympic team. And from what I've read, Yukari landed a better quality 3 axel than Mao Asada. Mao's supposedly had a rough landing but she hung on.

I think Shiz will be the one left off the team. I think Fumie has a lot of competitive fire within her to pull it out over Shiz. Too bad Miki didn't have good skates here. She had better watch her back b/c if she doesn't skate clean at 4Cs or Nats, the Japanese Fed isn't going to do her any favors and hold her up like they do in the US Nationals.

I also think Irina isn't one to b!tch about PCS scores. Her skating is sloppy and Mao is a complete skater with nice presentation. The only thing I don't really care about with Mao are her jumps, but she's landing them (as is Yukari) and kicking a$$. Irina and Sasha need to watch their backs for Yukari at the Olympics. Yukari is also landing a 3 axel in competition (twice this year) and can really burn them at the Olympics. Now is the time for Irina to bust some 3-3s or else she's going to get beaten again. Even Sasha is going to have to up her game. There are too many girls who are going to pull ahead of them with 3-3s and possibly 3 axels.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
That was a shocker. Irina should be happy the GP winner will not compete at the Olympics. After reading her comments, I thought....."Same old sour grapes as SLC". Oh well..........anything can and will happen. The Ladies final in Italy is not a "lock" on one skater...........:) 42

curious

Final Flight
jesslily said:
The result is predictable. Mao is a lovely jumper. She is in great spirit this year... Irina is strong, healthy, and happy. She really want to get the gold, and her mind and body give her the possibility...Nakana has the wrapped leg problem, but she shows how hard she worked and tried to be on top...Alissa still needs to improve the jumping technique and strength...

Has Irina serious illness miraculously disappear?

curious

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
My-oh, Mao My! Just saw the downloads over at the Skate Video site. I cannot decide if I prefer her technique or artistry....she is absolute perfection on both counts. WOW.... :rock:

THE BEST will not be in Torino. Ladies & gentlemen, we just saw in Tokyo what should have been the 2006 Olympic Gold-Medal winning performance. In Torino, women will vie for second best lady skater of the season. That's the bottom line.

THE BEST skater( not the best jumper) is going to be in Turino. She is the world champ and fave for Oly whether some like it or not:biggrin:

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Did I just read somebody call Mao Asada's artistry "perfection". If that's artistic perfection then the world must be a really sad place... IMO an insult to the skaters who really do have art in their skating.

kyla2

Final Flight
Frau Muller

Are you blind???? If that's your idea of perfect artistry, I would hate to see your idea of poor artistry. Her PCS scores were ridiculous, yet another reason to get rid of this scoring system (which isn't working). There is no way Mao should have won over Irina's overall superior skating (and I am not a fan of her style of skating generally). This is why the system isn't working. The triple axel shouldn't trump a more mature and complete skate. For those of you that want to break down the numbers for me, don't bother. I don't care how they add up under this system, because the system is broken. This may be my last year watching figure skating. It has become something I no longer recognize.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Actually I don't think Irina OR Mao have near the presentation (not artistry) that either Cohen, Arakawa or Kwan have. While their technical sides are pretty darn good, I think they both lack something on the other side of the fence.

And I haven't seen any other article that says Irina made the statement "I didn't lose". However the statement:

For me this competition is not really important. It is just another step in going to Turin."

makes me grind my teeth. The competition WAS important for all the skaters except Irina because she didn't win. Waaaaahhhhhh! Puh-lease. I think her scores from this competition were more in line with her skating than at any other time in the GP Series. Just like her to denounce the competition and in so doing, she denounces her competitors. Nice. Real nice.

kyla2 said:
This is why the system isn't working. The triple axel shouldn't trump a more mature and complete skate. For those of you that want to break down the numbers for me, don't bother. I don't care how they add up under this system, because the system is broken. This may be my last year watching figure skating. It has become something I no longer recognize.
What I hope is that the New Judging System will provide a spur for a resurgence of interest in professional skating. I see nothing at all wrong with skaters of Asada's generation striving to outdo each other with triple Axels and quads. Higher, faster, stronger, and I hope she wins a big medal.

In the meantime, the more mature skaters can move on to a new venue and develop their artistry in professional competitions and shows. Jumping beans for Speedy, Dorothy Hamill for the rest of us.

What would be cool is if Michelle, Sasha, Irina, etc., could take their popularity with them out of the amateur ranks and create something new -- like Scott Hamilton did, or John Curry.

Mathman :)

Crizzy

Rinkside
Can someone post the PCS marks like the Skating Skills for Irina and Mao? Thanks.

The number one thing I don't like about Mao's skating is her flutzing. OMG, I don't even have to slow-mo her lutz, it's as plain as I can see she flutz horribly. I don't think she's up there with the other senior ladies in terms of presentation. There's still room for growth but I can see her presentation as more of an intoxicating giddy child than Irina's powerful and fast skating. The two are totally different skaters however I would still give the edge to Irina because she has by far better basics even without the tiny 3 axel that Mao does.

This is coming from a Mao fan, I'm not even much of an Irina fan but I too find it plausible that Mao won.

kyla2

Final Flight
Mathman

Mathman I don't think it will happen. There just isn't the viewership for a professional venue and there is certainly no advertising money. It's all about money. It would also require the "professionals" to maintain a certain standard of competiveness and skill, and I don't see that happening either. For one thing, they are going to all have injuries of some kind or another; one of the realities of this sport the way it is currently set up. I see this sport deteriorating to a gymnastics on ice competition, but without the beauty and artistry.