2023-24 US Men’s Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Men’s Figure Skating

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Have I missed something important?

To my recollection, the World's and 4CC teams are announced after US Nats. Why are people expecting an announcement before then?

Did they change the criteria this year because of timing?
Yes, they changed it because of the timing, and I have absolutely no clue as to why 4CC was scheduled when it was. It's a combo of the competition being right after US Nationals, and needing to get the paperwork done for visas in China. I'm pretty sure the Canadians are naming their 4CC teams before their Nationals, too which is also not their norm.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, they changed it because of the timing, and I have absolutely no clue as to why 4CC was scheduled when it was. It's a combo of the competition being right after US Nationals, and needing to get the paperwork done for visas in China. I'm pretty sure the Canadians are naming their 4CC teams before their Nationals, too which is also not their norm.

Ahhh. That explains it. Visa paperwork takes time.

Thank you so much for clearing things up, friend.

I wonder do they go with the obvious choices, or do they send some youngsters who are unlikely to make the World Team... writing off 4CC as a learning opportunity. Ilia's just come back from China, and I doubt he's going to want to deal with the jet lag again so soon after Nats.

Tav

Rinkside
Ilia is not going to 4CC. Neither is Jason, so expect it to be Andrew, Camden and Jimmy, probably. Or, Liam? I just wish they would announce it already!

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Popping in from the Canadian thread since we've discussed it too. Entries are due January 9th, so Canada has to get their entries in before Nationals ends. At least they get a bit of a break before 4CC starts and don't have to fly to Shanghai the moment their Nationals ends.

They should pick Andrew, he would be a good choice (y)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ahhh. That explains it. Visa paperwork takes time.

Thank you so much for clearing things up, friend.

I wonder do they go with the obvious choices, or do they send some youngsters who are unlikely to make the World Team... writing off 4CC as a learning opportunity. Ilia's just come back from China, and I doubt he's going to want to deal with the jet lag again so soon after Nats.
He'll be doing an ice show in Italy at the beginning of January...but then again, that's a 6 hour difference and not a 13-hour difference.

Reactions: Tav

Kris135

On the Ice
Ilia is not going to 4CC. Neither is Jason, so expect it to be Andrew, Camden and Jimmy, probably. Or, Liam? I just wish they would announce it already!
I am going throw out a wild card. I think Lucas Brousard, if he has the minimums to compete in 4CC's, should go. He already has the visa from the cup a china that he was in last month and let's be honest his chances of getting a spot on the world team this year are very low. I could be wrong here but that what I have seen this year shows that he about a year from that. I mean he needs the experience this is a good way to do it. I think that the USFS should keep him out of Nationals and just let focus on this and Junior Worlds, because it only thing that he does not have medal at that level and Kao Mura did the same last year, and the more competitions he can have the better. He could be solid third man on worlds teams and the Olympics are couple of years so he needs to get as much international exposure as possible. Ilia should not bear the entire load of Olympic expectations.for US Figure skating in 2026. I do not want what happened after 2022 where basically Ilia had to hold up the mantel of US mens figure skating at 17 years old. Thank God that Jason came back to complete part time, it helped. So the USFS needs to needs to create a bench of talent where if they send someone to a GP that they have a chance to crack the top 5 Everytime they go out. Lucas could do that he certainly has the talent and ability to do that in the next few years. So I say send the young ones out to get it that experience that they need so they can be ready for the future.

Tav

Rinkside
I am going throw out a wild card. I think Lucas Brousard, if he has the minimums to compete in 4CC's, should go. He already has the visa from the cup a china that he was in last month and let's be honest his chances of getting a spot on the world team this year are very low. I could be wrong here but that what I have seen this year shows that he about a year from that. I mean he needs the experience this is a good way to do it. I think that the USFS should keep him out of Nationals and just let focus on this and Junior Worlds, because it only thing that he does not have medal at that level and Kao Mura did the same last year, and the more competitions he can have the better. He could be solid third man on worlds teams and the Olympics are couple of years so he needs to get as much international exposure as possible. Ilia should not bear the entire load of Olympic expectations.for US Figure skating in 2026. I do not want what happened after 2022 where basically Ilia had to hold up the mantel of US mens figure skating at 17 years old. Thank God that Jason came back to complete part time, it helped. So the USFS needs to needs to create a bench of talent where if they send someone to a GP that they have a chance to crack the top 5 Everytime they go out. Lucas could do that he certainly has the talent and ability to do that in the next few years. So I say send the young ones out to get it that experience that they need so they can be ready for the future.
I don't think Lucas qualifies for the 4CC selection pool, as per how the USFS draws up their criteria for it. Only seven men do, and Lucas wasn't one of them. That's really okay because he's very young and has time to get to the point where he will be in that selection pool one day.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A bright face on my watch list…Taira Shinohara

Last edited:
Reactions: Tav

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
It’s not that big a deal as I don’t expect alternates to be called upon. But Naumov as first alternate only makes sense had it been announced right after Nationals. But it wasn’t and so Andrew should be first alternate. If Naumov was going to be named first alternate regardless of 4CC results then skip the song-and-dance and just name him outright.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
Now that the high from Worlds wore off, I’m already thinking of next season’s Grand Prix assignments. And it doesn’t look good. Unless I’m mistaken, Ilia and Brown - if he plans to compete - are the only American men with two spots. Andrew is on the cusp and may get two. I hope he does. Everyone else skated so poorly they’re either getting one or none.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Now that the high from Worlds wore off, I’m already thinking of next season’s Grand Prix assignments. And it doesn’t look good. Unless I’m mistaken, Ilia and Brown - if he plans to compete - are the only American men with two spots. Andrew is on the cusp and may get two. I hope he does. Everyone else skated so poorly they’re either getting one or none.
The US will have spots at Skate America to negotiate with. They will get other skaters spots. Camden is also 18 in the WS. I think he will get two on the initial picks.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
The US will have spots at Skate America to negotiate with. They will get other skaters spots. Camden is also 18 in the WS. I think he will get two on the initial picks.
Only four men got two spots this season and Ma only got his second spot because of a withdrawal. (I can’t remember if Kapeikis had two originally.)

I wasn’t including the Skate America spots because those are host spots, but I’m thinking whoever gets those spots will only have only one.

Pulkinen’s WS will drop after Olympic season is erased, but he should still be inside the top 24. His SB is right outside so yeah he should get two.

Either way, it still looks dire and it’s going to get worse unless the skaters start improving their results.