Is Irina Really A Nice Person? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Is Irina Really A Nice Person?

After l80 posts we are about as close to an answer to this question as we are to predicting the 2010 Olympics.

Let's leave the Lady alone. Whether one likes her personally or not; or likes her skating or not; she is one of if not THE best competitors ever.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Probably in the future, Irina should let her reps. or manager speak for her like some other skaters do, then she will not get the label of not being "nice". That way everything will be rosy and all sugar coated and not take her words out of context. The way I look at is the Irina is dammed if she do or dammed if she don't, in the eyes of some people.

Spirit said:
Instead of debating it, can we just call her and ask her?
I did. She said, @#$% off, you &%#$@*^ %&$#!.

(edited to correct spelling of %&$#.)

Last edited:

Spirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I did. She said, @#$% off, you &%#$@*^ %&$#!.

(edited to correct spelling of %&$#.)
lmao.jpg

Oh, my sweet goodness, MM, I just about fell out of my chair, and my sides hurt.

And I'm at work, even!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Now imagine Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen doing the same type of things at their rink (pulling rank, being rude to maintenance staff). I don't think people would make up as many excuses for them as I have read on this board for Irina. Irina is human and at times has lost her composure on camera (after winning the silver at the Olympics she was clearly upset and angry, cursing the judges and stomping off the kiss and cry). She's human, but if this type of behavior came from someone like Michelle Kwan (like Nancy Kerrigan in 1994) she would be labeled with a lot of unkind adjectives as Kerrigan was in 94, and there would be none of this "Oh its just the American culture to be that way". Give me a break!

curious

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Well, it just seemed to me as if everyone EXPECTS Irina (or insert-name-here) for that matter to act "gracious". Although not everyone will like it, it shouldn't be such a surprise that Irina, of all people, makes a comment like that. JMO.

Irina is too Blunt for some people. She is not paid to say nice things or behave like the proper little princess to be popular like michell and sasha:biggrin:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SkateFan4Life said:
Well, I thought Irina made some interesting comments after she finished second to Mao at the GP Final. She was asked about Mao, and she pretty much dismissed her. "She's only 15 years old. I'd like to see her compete at this level when she's 25".

Hmm.....not exactly the most gracious comment. :eek:hwell:
I think what she said was ............she's a little girl. She then commented about how she was at that age. She did say she was happy for her but how will she (Mao) be when she's 25. I didn't see anything wrong with what she said. She was asked a question and she answered it. Even if she were rude, why does it bother you so much??

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
curious said:
Irina is too Blunt for some people. She is not paid to say nice things or behave like the proper little princess to be popular like michell and sasha:biggrin:

I have to admit, that comment had me :rofl:

Soo true, so true...

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Of course every one is entitled to their opinion, but to me there's adequate proof, i.e. in the words of Mulder and Scully, "The truth is out there...," as an athlete, Irina is admirable in terms of her sheer determination.
As a person, her behind-the-Kiss'nCry off-the-cuff comments about her fellow competitors prove she is a phony. She states on written interviews she admires Michelle Kwan [which I believe she always had] but away from this mutual admiration and respect, she's made catty and rude comments about Mao Asada, and has propped herself on the pedestal believing she's unstoppable [until Mao put a sock in Irina's mouth]. I don't intend to be a vengeful being, but maybe, just maybe God [and not the Skating Gods] set things out so that Irina will be humbled by her own and her mother's illness and maybe Karma will set things in perspective for her...

I can't believe this thread is still active. Have you notice that the person who flew onto the board and started this up has been long gone for weeks, her work apparently done?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I can't believe this thread is still active. Have you notice that the person who flew onto the board and started this up has been long gone for weeks, her work apparently done?

I told you she was a hooligan, but nobody wanted to believe me... Off to eat another ding dong...:laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another thing to be remembered is that English is not Irina's first language. I would imagine she is limited in her descriptions and is not as eloquent as we would all like her to be.
Mathman said:
Have you notice that the person who flew onto the board and started this up has been long gone for weeks, her work apparently done?
Math, are you talking about me again???

Dee

Kwan101

Rinkside
Mathman said:

I'm still here- spent 10 days visiting relatives over the holidays. I simply have said all I had to say on this topic- if others want to keep posting on the thread I started, don't blame me.

I saw a real cute interview with Irina not long ago in which she seemed as nice as could be. I don't have any firm views one way or the other on what she's really like. I don't think it was out of line for me to pose the question, though.