Sasha Cohen was breathtaking | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen was breathtaking

new_europe2006

Rinkside
dancindiva03 said:
Sasha was clearly more polished than the rest of this very young field, but I'd say far from being breathtaking. She leaves me feeling very cold.

That's exactly how I feel about her skating.

millie

Medalist
dancindiva03 said:
Sasha was clearly more polished than the rest of this very young field, but I'd say far from being breathtaking. She leaves me feeling very cold.

In my part of the country, when you are feeling cold, you put on a sweater or sit beside the fire when you're watching figure skating. Then when you're favourite skater skates, you take you're sweater of when you start to feel warm. It works for me.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Millie, it's the kind of cold that a fireplace or sweater doesn't help. You need something like this......

coinj_23.jpg

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
Millie, it's the kind of old that a fireplace or sweater doesn't help. You need something like this......

coinj_23.jpg

Piel, but the problem was that she wasn't there last night to keep her fans warm, so a fireplace or sweater is the alternative to keep them warm.

nubka

Final Flight
Piel said:
Millie, it's the kind of cold that a fireplace or sweater doesn't help. You need something like this......
coinj_23.jpg

But that would just put me to sleep, not keep me warm...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
nubka said:
But that would just put me to sleep, not keep me warm...

Folks say the same thing about a nice warm glass of brandy but it's only because they arent able to appreciate the finer things in life.:biggrin:

ranjake

Final Flight
new_europe2006 said:
That's exactly how I feel about her skating.
i thought i was the only one who felt that way! i watch her, thinking "that's a gorgeous position" and i just feel NOTHING. i can't figure it out.

kyla2

Final Flight
Hmmmm

I think those of you who feel nothing when Sasha skates need to look inside yourselves and ask why you can't appreciate the type of artistic talent, commitment, hard work, and sheer ability it takes to do what she does out there on the ice. There isn't a skater out there I can't appreciate. But Sasha has a unique, world class and rare presentation style that isn't just about extension. She doesn't leave me cold, she leaves me feeling greatful that she is out there. The person who said they will miss Sasha and Michelle when they leave the field isn't just kidding. There is no one their equal coming up yet. The same can be said of Irina, Shiz and Fumie.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kyla I appreciate her physical capabilities. Obviously Sasha has lots of natural ability. I feel Sasha is all about look at me, adore me, I am the best. OTOH Kwan doesn't nearly have Sasha's physical abilities. What Kwan has is the ability to draw me into her performance so that I feel like I am flying around the ice with her. I feel like Kwan enjoys what she brings to her fans while Sasha enjoys being worshiped by hers.

Lanie

On the Ice
Piel said:
Kyla I appreciate her physical capabilities. Obviously Sasha has lots of natural ability. I feel Sasha is all about look at me, adore me, I am the best. OTOH Kwan doesn't nearly have Sasha's physical abilities. What Kwan has is the ability to draw me into her performance so that I feel like I am flying around the ice with her. I feel like Kwan enjoys what she brings to her fans while Sasha enjoys being worshiped by hers.

And I feel the exact same way...just swap Kwan and Cohen and you've got my opinion! But I respect Michelle and I'm not gonna run around bashing her. Not like I'm saying you are, Piel, just saying that even if you don't LIKE a skater doesn't mean you should be disrespectful like some people have been towards Sasha. Overly negative isn't cool or nice, especially for these folks who work so hard.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
All fine, but just remember this: Although both the 1998 and 2002 Oly champions were Americans, in neither case was the winner the reigning US champ. So, if an American wins the Olympics...would it be Kwan or Meissner? :scratch:

Who says that it has to follow that pattern? Peggy, Dorothy and Kristi WERE U.S. Champions when they won.

I have to agree that Sasha WAS breathtaking. This LP is the best she's ever done, IMO. I can very well see it winning at the Olympics if Sasha skates it with conviction and without any mistakes. Something I've always hoped to see her do for many a season now. Two back to back CLEAN programs, and I gotta believe that she has as much of a shot at that gold as Irina or Michelle. More even... :clap: :rock:

Peggy

On the Ice
Piel said:
I feel like Kwan enjoys what she brings to her fans while Sasha enjoys being worshiped by hers.

I don't understand your attitude. I think Sasha cares about her fans as much as Michelle cares about hers. Michelle is happy when she skates clean but I've seen her cry when she didn't make the top of the podium. My guess is she wasn't thinking about her fans. Both of these girls work hard and I'm sick of hearing how much better a person Michelle is. Sasha has been put down more than any other skater I have ever seen. I hope she doesn't read this junk.

Vash01

Medalist
I saw it live and it was anything but breath taking. It was a good performance, and she deserved to win the gold in this weak field. I don't believe the flu was a factor. She had no competition because of Michelle's absence, and the retirement of other more mature ladies. So it was Sasha against the young teenagers and clearly she was the best of the group. When I read some of the adjectives used in other posts (e.g. magnificent, breath taking, etc.), that's not how I see her. She has a flexible body and she uses her extensions very well to create a beautiful form on the ice. She is not someone with great edges or power. The jumps are still shaky, and I don't see that changing. There is no power in her jumps or her skating and it will show up when she competes against the likes of Slutskaya or even Arakawa. However, she was destined to win this one, with all the obstacles removed by fate (the main one being Michelle). I am not going to go into the what ifs. She skated well enough to win this one. There is no denying her beauty but I don't see her as a great skater. Her scores were ridiculously high, particularly for the LP. We saw inflated scores in the mens event too, and feds often do that at their nationals to boost the confidence of their skaters and to send a message to rest of the world.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Eldredgefan2001 said:
Who says that it has to follow that pattern? Peggy, Dorothy and Kristi WERE U.S. Champions when they won.

I have to agree that Sasha WAS breathtaking. This LP is the best she's ever done, IMO. I can very well see it winning at the Olympics if Sasha skates it with conviction and without any mistakes. Something I've always hoped to see her do for many a season now. Two back to back CLEAN programs, and I gotta believe that she has as much of a shot at that gold as Irina or Michelle. More even... :clap: :rock:

These were not back to back CLEAN programs. She two-footed the 3 flip in the SP, but it was a well skated program. In the LP she botched two triple jumps in a row although she did not fall on them. They definitely spoiled the impact of the performance. They were good performances, but hardly great ones. I sat in the audience and did not feel a connection with her. I say that without any reference to Michelle or any other skater. She definitely has a shot at OGM in Torino, along with many other skaters, and perhaps she has the best chance against Irina. Michelle is a question mark at this point because of her injury so I won't even consider her for an OGM without knowing what she is capable of.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Peggy said:
I don't understand your attitude. I think Sasha cares about her fans as much as Michelle cares about hers. Michelle is happy when she skates clean but I've seen her cry when she didn't make the top of the podium. My guess is she wasn't thinking about her fans. Both of these girls work hard and I'm sick of hearing how much better a person Michelle is. Sasha has been put down more than any other skater I have ever seen. I hope she doesn't read this junk.

I'm really not into this he said/she said fan bicker, but I must say ITA with this. Plus, you just never know what a person is like unless you spend time with them- a lot of time, too. The patronizing and worshipping of Kwan gets to be just too much at times.

(waits till the day Kwan is caught having a fit on camera)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Peggy said:

What's not to understand? I think Sasha seems like selfish, self centered, spoiled little girl. It may or may not be true but that's how she comes across to me. I have seen Michelle cry... when she didn't skate her best which I think is more important to her than a medal. Again that may or may not be true, but that's how she comes across to me. I am not saying Michelle is a better person than Sasha. What I'm saying is I like what I've seen of Michelle's personality better than what I've seen of Sasha's personality. I also appreciate Michelle more because it has been a more difficult struggle for her than Sasha. Sasha has way more physical capabilities and has had a much easier time financially than Michelle at the beginning of their careers. You are wrong in saying that Sasha has been put down more than any skater you've ever seen because it is simply not true. Kwan has bee put down for 12 years or so now...much longer than Sasha. I do hope that Sasha has something better to do than read this..like practiing for the Olympics. I am not being mean to Sasha, I am simply stating my opinion of what I've seen of her....don't like her personality and don't get drawn into her skating. With Kwan I like her personlity and like her skating. Understand?

Peggy

On the Ice
Piel said:
I am not being mean to Sasha,

You sound mean and that is why I wrote in the first place. Its ashame you have to tare Sasha down in order to build Michelle up. Being the person you say she is, I'm sure Michelle would not approve of your attitude. I don't know her personally so I'm just guessing.

I hope Michelle doesn't hurt herself too bad beefing up her spins and jumps because it will be nice to see her at the Olympics. I have to admit that Michelle has given some wonderful performances in her 12 years but so has Sasha. I wish both, Michelle and Sasha, the skate of their lives and let the points fall where they may.

Having said all that, I'm very proud of Sasha for skating like she did with the flu. That program is going to be hard to beat when she skates healthy.

Red Dog said:
(waits till the day Kwan is caught having a fit on camera)
Michelle was once quoted as saying that she never watches other skaters' performances backstage on the monitor. The reason? She doesn't want to get caught by the camera shouting "fall, fall!" :laugh:

MM

Piel said:
What's not to understand? I think Sasha seems like selfish, self centered, spoiled little girl. It may or may not be true but that's how she comes across to me. I have seen Michelle cry... when she didn't skate her best which I think is more important to her than a medal. Again that may or may not be true, but that's how she comes across to me. I am not saying Michelle is a better person than Sasha. What I'm saying is I like what I've seen of Michelle's personality better than what I've seen of Sasha's personality. I also appreciate Michelle more because it has been a more difficult struggle for her than Sasha. Sasha has way more physical capabilities and has had a much easier time financially than Michelle at the beginning of their careers. You are wrong in saying that Sasha has been put down more than any skater you've ever seen because it is simply not true. Kwan has bee put down for 12 years or so now...much longer than Sasha. I do hope that Sasha has something better to do than read this..like practiing for the Olympics. I am not being mean to Sasha, I am simply stating my opinion of what I've seen of her....don't like her personality and don't get drawn into her skating. With Kwan I like her personlity and like her skating. Understand?
Piel, You know I love you but I'm disappointed in these Kwan vs. Cohen posts. If Michelle has been "put down for 12 years or so" then I'm George Bush. Yes, there are a smattering of Kwan haters, but there always are with a longtime reigning champion. I think the outcome of the Marshall's audience vote shows that Michelle has more fans than any skater we've seen in the last 12 years.

It's all just opinion anyway when it comes to Sasha and Michelle's personalities and also what kind of personalites people prefer. Nationals are over. Michelle couldn't go because of injury. Sasha won with two "good enough" performances but IMO far from great programs. I've seen her skate much better. People can continue to post what they want, of course, but I hope people who weren't there will leave this old, old subject to the ages.

I appreciated Vash's post because she was there and that can make a big difference.

Still pals.:)
Rgirl

P.S. Vash, sorry I've been calling you a he when you are a she.

Last edited: