2024 World Championships Pairs Short Program | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Pairs Short Program

rain

Record Breaker
A few thoughts: I can't help but think that the Ukrainian team would have scored higher if they'd skated later. Metelkina/Berulava have good elements and packaging that is so, so bad it literally made me cringe. I thought Hase/Volodin should have been ahead of them by more due to it. Deanna and Max slayed it. Thought Pereira/Michaud were lowballed on the score.

I can't imagine anyone seeing this pairs short program, where one mistake could mean not making the long program, and say that the discipline is dying.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Metelkina/Berulava have good elements and packaging that is so, so bad it literally made me cringe.
The music was unbearable. But yes, very strong elements.
I thought Hase/Volodin should have been ahead of them by more due to it.
Yes. I actually prefered H/V's elements because they are done effortlessly. However, they are a bit bland.
Deanna and Max slayed it.
Beyond my expectations.
Thought Pereira/Michaud were lowballed on the score.
I think that twist didn't help. They deserved higher GOE on the SBS jumps and the throw. They were very solid there. Their lift has improved as well. From where I was sitting, I didn't see the crashy catch on the twist so I was really not happy with the score when it came out.
I can't imagine anyone seeing this pairs short program, where one mistake could mean not making the long program, and say that the discipline is dying.
A discipline is dying when there are only a few teams on top doing well, while the others are struggling. If anything, that's what we had a few years ago. Now, the depth is there. Teams are constantly improving. This was more enjoyable to me than many of the previous pairs events of the last 10-15 years, exactly because pretty much the entire field was worth watching.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think so. At this level, they all have to deal with their own pressure. Plus, it's a draw. I wish they went in reverse order but they do not.
So do I. Look at the FS start orders. In each of the first 3 flights, the top team from the SP is starting first. That's not good or fair. I believe the same thing happened to P/M at 4CC.

Reverse order makes it more exciting, as it is easy to tell when a team is rising in the standings (stays in first) or falling (finishes out of first).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So do I. Look at the FS start orders. In each of the first 3 flights, the top team from the SP is starting first. That's not good or fair. I believe the same thing happened to P/M at 4CC.

Reverse order makes it more exciting, as it is easy to tell when a team is rising in the standings (stays in first) or falling (finishes out of first).
On top of that, let's not be foolish. Judges reward skaters progressively. This reward is something that should be earned by how well you placed in the SP and not by the draw. (Of course, I'd prefer there is no reward based on order... but you know what i mean)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW. just watched the archives of the French CBC and Deanna even answered the interviewer a little bit in French :) + 5 GOE

You may have already seen this article, but Deanna has been studying French (with an app).

En français ou en anglais ? Maxime Deschamps propose qu’on s’essaie en français afin de mesurer les progrès de sa partenaire. La maîtrise de la langue de Tremblay par la femme de Chicago est étonnante. Elle comprend l’essentiel des échanges entre le patineur, la coach et le journaliste, et ponctue ses réponses de phrases en français. Son secret : Duolingo...

« J’étudie chaque jour depuis que je suis arrivée ici. Si je n’essayais pas, je trouve que ce serait un manque de respect pour les Québécois. »

[my] translation. Not for you, obviously, @4everchan, and I'm sure you could do a better job. :)

In French or in English? Maxime Deschamps proposes that we try in French in order to measure the progress of his partner. The mastery of the language of Tremblay by the woman from Chicago is stunning. She understands the basics of the exchanges between partner, coach and journalist, and punctuates her answers with phrases in French. Her secret: Duolingo....

"I study every day since I arrived here. If I was not trying, I think that would be a lack of respect for the Québécois"

👏

rain

Record Breaker
The music was unbearable. But yes, very strong elements.
And the choreography and the costumes.
Yes. I actually prefered H/V's elements because they are done effortlessly. However, they are a bit bland.
They're very classic pairs.
I think that twist didn't help. They deserved higher GOE on the SBS jumps and the throw. They were very solid there. Their lift has improved as well. From where I was sitting, I didn't see the crashy catch on the twist so I was really not happy with the score when it came out.
Yeah, it's not that I had a problem with the ranking (though I thought Beccari/Guarise benefited from a Euros champions bonus for a rather lacklustre skate here), but the score was too low. I would have had them in the higher 60s.
A discipline is dying when there are only a few teams on top doing well, while the others are struggling. If anything, that's what we had a few years ago. Now, the depth is there. Teams are constantly improving. This was more enjoyable to me than many of the previous pairs events of the last 10-15 years, exactly because pretty much the entire field was worth watching.
And there are so many countries now that are excelling, who have multiple couples. There were very few big mistakes here by any of the pairs, all the way down the rankings. I can remember far weaker fields, even when there were a handful of stars at the top.
On top of that, let's not be foolish. Judges reward skaters progressively. This reward is something that should be earned by how well you placed in the SP and not by the draw. (Of course, I'd prefer there is no reward based on order... but you know what i mean)
It's also just human to not remember a skate as well after time and other skates have gone by. This means judges tend to mark, say, the team(s) in the next group that the top team in the previous group could have surpassed higher just because they skated a (relatively) long time ago. So unless you have a big reputation, skate order does matter (unfortunately).