Negative Article Re: Kwan in Houston Paper | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Negative Article Re: Kwan in Houston Paper

R.D.

Record Breaker
To clear things up: I'm from Texas and can't stand the guy. AND I'm not a Kwan hater (although I don't exactly like her either), so there.

76olympics

On the Ice
I must admit that I don't get the "Kwantroversy." I could understand the furor if there was one Olympic ladies' spot and Kwan was granted it over Cohen. But-that is not the case. I don't think she is stealing a spot from anyone else on the current American ladies' scene. Watching Nationals confirmed that for me. I think Alissa, Emily, etc will have more chances for growth and placement.

Also, I must confess that I don't want to have another super-young, little seasoned Olympic champion. This is what we have seen in the last few years and I don't think it is particularly good for the sport or the winner (exhibits: Baiul and Lipinski, in particular). This is why I would not be sorry if Slutskaya wins-though I have always liked her personality more than her skating. But-if Michelle can pull it together-more power to her. I do feel that this injury may be too severe for her to make these Olympics. But-seriously-she has a heck of a record whatever happens. I don't see any reason to bash her for making the attempt.

BTW, I think newspaper articles like these are obvious attempts to polarize opinions and create that buzz. It is much more eye-catching to present an emphatic, colorful article than a balanced, factual survey of the situation. My guess is he will receive feedback from general figure skating fans who dislike the errors and ardent Michelle fans who dislike the tone. His next article will bear the title: : "Biased Michelle Fans won't hear a word against her."

Last edited:

Bowers

Rinkside
Lynn51 said:
I thought the vote was reported as 20-3.

That's what I thought as well! (At least 3 votes against!)
Let's just recall that Emily won 3rd at Junior World's, and that's no small feat! Meissner won 4th at the same event. About falling at recent Nats., all of the top 6 except Sasha fell. That makes Emily one of 5 of the top ladies who fell. She fell once, Beatrissa fell twice, Alissa fell 3 times! Katy fell once.

A word about Alissa: I reviewed her Skate Canada SP & LP & it was first class! Can she compose herself in the tense situations? If she can, she's the USFS's next big hope! Alissa is noticeably taller, 2 or more inches, than the other ladies, except for Emily. It is quite apparent in the warm-ups, live. With that height she really makes a statement. But it is also more difficult for tall skaters to have consistent jumps.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Justafan said:
Therefore all Texans must be Bush fans and Kwan haters. Come on.
Nay...you guys get points for being the land of LBJ for his social programs but then ya lose some because of his record with Viet Nam and his dislike of Bobby Kennedy. OTOH the entire country elected the Bush's president not once but three times so we're all to blame for those, LOL. Heck my little state went for Bush the past two elections...not for lack of trying on my part. What can I say, vote Democratic, stay out of war, and GO KWAN! Do you think she could defeat Arnold? Can you imagine Nationals (soon to be know as The Michelle Kwan National Championships) being an actual State Holiday in California.? Something to think about if her injuries are too bad for her to continue skating.:biggrin:

nubka

Final Flight
Piel said:
OTOH the entire country elected the Bush's president not once but three times so we're all to blame for those, LOL.

Well, I"m not to blame on this one...I've never voted for a Bush in any way, shape or form (even back when I was a Republican, I still never voted for him, or his father...LOL!!)

Justafan

On the Ice
Piel said:
Nay...you guys get points for being the land of LBJ for his social programs but then ya lose some because of his record with Viet Nam and his dislike of Bobby Kennedy. OTOH the entire country elected the Bush's president not once but three times so we're all to blame for those, LOL. Heck my little state went for Bush the past two elections...not for lack of trying on my part. What can I say, vote Democratic, stay out of war, and GO KWAN! Do you think she could defeat Arnold? Can you imagine Nationals (soon to be know as The Michelle Kwan National Championships) being an actual State Holiday in California.? Something to think about if her injuries are too bad for her to continue skating.:biggrin:

Well as far as Bush getting governor back when...21% of the voters voted. I would vote Michelle for prez...as Kinky Friedman uses in his platform for governor - "Why the Hell Not?". :) PS...this Texan worked on the Kerry campaign...so guess those stereotypes are kind of full of bull.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bowers said:
That's what I thought as well! (At least 3 votes against!)
Let's just recall that Emily won 3rd at Junior World's, and that's no small feat! Meissner won 4th at the same event. About falling at recent Nats., all of the top 6 except Sasha fell. That makes Emily one of 5 of the top ladies who fell. She fell once, Beatrissa fell twice, Alissa fell 3 times! Katy fell once.

A word about Alissa: I reviewed her Skate Canada SP & LP & it was first class! Can she compose herself in the tense situations? If she can, she's the USFS's next big hope! Alissa is noticeably taller, 2 or more inches, than the other ladies, except for Emily. It is quite apparent in the warm-ups, live. With that height she really makes a statement. But it is also more difficult for tall skaters to have consistent jumps.

Emily landed only 4 triples in her FS. She fell on her 3L (which was downgraded to a 2L) and she stepped out of an underrotated 3S (also downgraded). Emily's fall was far more disruptive and clumsy than Alissa's or Katy's. Katy landed 5 triples and IMO was undermarked, probably because she wasn't in the final group. I think Katy should have been 3rd in the FS and Emily 4th.

I also wonder why Emily refused her 4CC invitation. Was she afraid she wouldn't skate well and that would hurt her chances to go to Torino, or that Katy might outskate her? I tend to think she IS afraid that the ISU judges might mark her the way they did during the GP. She certainly could have used another international competition under her belt before going to Worlds. She'd be better off being undermarked at 4CC than at Worlds.

NorthernLite said:
This is the way some people view it: You show up if you want the reward. If you don't, you don't get it.

What I can't understand is why people who follow skating, who *saw* the way Michelle skated at Marshalls -- before she was even injured again -- aren't more concerned about how she's doing/will do. [Or perhaps that's why there's such defensiveness over the bye?]

But if she's not up to par, I hope the satire isn't correct [ "Marvelous, Shelly. Just marvelous. See ya in Turin"]. I hope whoever is judging her does take it seriously, and doesn't rubber stamp her.

Great post, NorthernLite. You said it all.
:thumbsup: :bow:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Misplacedgymnist and Northern Lights,

What part of the USFSOC's rules for choosing the Olympic team do you not understand?:banging: :confused: :think:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
chuckm said:
I also wonder why Emily refused her 4CC invitation. Was she afraid she wouldn't skate well and that would hurt her chances to go to Torino, or that Katy might outskate her? I tend to think she IS afraid that the ISU judges might mark her the way they did during the GP. She certainly could have used another international competition under her belt before going to Worlds. She'd be better off being undermarked at 4CC than at Worlds.

I brought this up somewhere on GS this past week. I think team Hughes was thinking just this. If she had a bad skate at 4C and Michelle had a so so or bad skate before the committee would they still send Hughes?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I brought this up somewhere on GS this past week. I think team Hughes was thinking just this. If she had a bad skate at 4C and Michelle had a so so or bad skate before the committee would they still send Hughes?

I personally think unless MK proves she's not physically capable of skating, they're going to send her over Hughes. And they probably should, given the circumstances right now. But I'm curious as to why Hughes decided to skip 4CC. Maybe she's playing it safe just in case MK has to pull out and she suddenly finds herself going to Torino? I think that could be why.

Bowers

Rinkside
chuckm said:
Emily landed only 4 triples in her FS. She fell on her 3L (which was downgraded to a 2L) and she stepped out of an underrotated 3S (also downgraded). Emily's fall was far more disruptive and clumsy than Alissa's or Katy's. Katy landed 5 triples and IMO was undermarked, probably because she wasn't in the final group. I think Katy should have been 3rd in the FS and Emily 4th.

Katy Taylor is a fellow Texas--as is Tara! Both are/were terrific skaters! But to be fair with comparisons, I believe Katy placed below both Emily and Kimmie at last Jr. Worlds, as well as last year's Nationals. Her track record against Emily hasn't stood up in the past couple of years.

I don't believe Emily is afraid of anything, skatingwise. It may be that her "advisors" might have a strategy in mind, however.

Dwinner, my big question for you is "What was the Kwan vote at Nationals?" Were your figures correct, or inflated?

In your analysis of falls as "more disruptive", and just disruptive, you left out an analysis of Beatrissa's and Kimmie's. Were theirs just disruptive or "more disruptive." I will admit Emily's was more disruptive. I heard the splat from the other side of the arena. Some wondered if she'd get up and continue. I believe, however, that her size--height as well as sturdy build--make a fall seem bigger. But one would also have to admit that Beatrissa's and Kimmie's were awfully clumsy looking falls as well. And Kimmie's (and Katy's) occured toward the very end of their programs.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
kyla2 said:
The writer is an idiot. As for George Bush, I thank GOD for him every night I say my prayers. He is as much a Texan as any of you are by the way, and probably more so, having spent 95% of his life there, been ITS GOVERNOR ,and owning a ranch there. How many of you can claim the same?

I'm also greatful to have him in office or else I'd be in jail right now just for my political beliefs. The left scares me more than any Islamic terrorist.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
According to the USFSOC the vote was 20-3 in favor of Kwan.

R.D.

Record Breaker
new_europe2006 said:
I'm also greatful to have him in office or else I'd be in jail right now just for my political beliefs. The left scares me more than any Islamic terrorist.

I don't want to get into political discussion but the Religious Right scares me just as much.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it was odd that Kwan signed those sponsor contracts although she was an injured skater. Are those used as some kind of leverage to push her to the Olympics without caring much how she might skate at the test-skate?

I have read Kwan mentioning that she will not go to the Olympics if she does not feel 100 % fit. Will she herself be the best judge for that? Just wondering because I also hve read a statement from her that she has a shot for gold medal in Turin. That sounds rather delusional, in my opinion.

flowjo35

On the Ice
Jaana said:
I think it was odd that Kwan signed those sponsor contracts although she was an injured skater. Are those used as some kind of leverage to push her to the Olympics without caring much how she might skate at the test-skate?

I have read Kwan mentioning that she will not go to the Olympics if she does not feel 100 % fit. Will she herself be the best judge for that? Just wondering because I also hve read a statement from her that she has a shot for gold medal in Turin. That sounds rather delusional, in my opinion.

Do we know when these contracts were signed? Before or after the injury? Not sure what leverage could be used if these contracts were signed before her injury. If the committee feels she is not fit or ready to go after the skate test they have the right not to name her to the team, it's not up to Michelle. Good luck Michelle.

I think we are making too much of Emily declining Four Contintents. No one ever goes to Four Continents if they can get out of it.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Coca-Cola already made a statement that regardless of whether or not she goes to Torino, it's her overall marketability that attracted them. Now that could just be spin, but it's the official line at this point.

Jaana said:

I have read Kwan mentioning that she will not go to the Olympics if she does not feel 100 % fit. Will she herself be the best judge for that? Just wondering because I also have read a statement from her that she has a shot for gold medal in Turin. That sounds rather delusional, in my opinion.
Your just wonderings will soon become known as facts.