So, Shizza back to Turandot... | Golden Skate

So, Shizza back to Turandot...

maruru

Rinkside
Sorry if it's already posted. So, anyway, I just read that is her decision for the Olys -- to get back to the program that won the world title. Sounds like the new judging system really has had her doing a lot of guessingn and wondering and self-doubting about her skating. IIRC she said at one point this season that she was wondering if her program was primarily to get as higher a score as possible or to entertain. And her answer is to switch back to Turandot, i.e., "Look at me doing this gorgeous Ina Bauer!"

Ina Bauer does not directly add to your score under the current system, right? But she wants to do that.

Well, personally, I like the decision. Not that her program this season is bad -- it is good, actually. But that one cannot beat the Turandot program. I just wonder about her costume... what is it going to be like this time?

maruru said:
I just wonder about her costume... what is it going to be like this time?
Here's hoping she brings back the dominatrix/super-wedgie. :biggrin:

Great music, fine program. No points directly for the Ina Bauer, but :love: anyway.

Thanks for the news.

MM

Longhornliz

Final Flight
That was a killer program... but i havent seen her skate as well since worlds. Was that a fluke? She was off my radar before that season so I dont feel like I have any history for her.

With Sasha returning to R&J, it seems so many skaters, e.g., Buttle, Weir, Shizuka are going with what is comfortable.- their best moments past.

There will be enough nerves out there on the ice and to hear the music one has did well with takes a bit of the edge off. Nobody really wants to wait another 4 years.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
With Sasha returning to R&J, it seems so many skaters, e.g., Buttle, Weir, Shizuka are going with what is comfortable.- their best moments past.

There will be enough nerves out there on the ice and to hear the music one has did well with takes a bit of the edge off. Nobody really wants to wait another 4 years.

Joe

Maybe Michelle will announce she's bringing back her Salome LP:p !!!!!!

Ant

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Here's hoping she brings back the dominatrix/super-wedgie. :biggrin:

MM

Just when I almost forgot about that.... ;)

Best wishes to Shiz - I hope we get to see another performance from her just like her Gold medal performance from 2004. Since this is probably her competitive finale, that would be a great way to remember her last competitive performance.

DG

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:clap: WooHoo! Return of Divakwara! I cannot wait to see this absolutely stunning program... I never thought that her worlds title was a fluke, I just assumed that her reputation as a headcase was damaging her results... But I love this program. I don't care what the point break down is, because it is the s$%^ and probably the best program since Kwan's Arjurez (sp.) at Worlds '03. :clap:

It seems that the skaters are in a bit of a revolt lately against their so-called "CoP Friendly" programs huh? Pretty interesting...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Below is the list of elements/ components for single skaters mentioning Ina Bauer: (from ISU site):

g) Spiral step sequence (Ladies):
consists primarily of spirals, either commencing at the end of the ice surface, progressing in bold curves and ending at the opposite end of the ice surface (serpentine) or skated in a complete circle or oval utilizing the full width of the ice surface (circular) or a combination of the two. There must be at least three (3) spiral positions with at least one change of foot. Pushes in order to gain speed are permitted. Connecting steps (including spread eagles and two footed movements with one leg extended and the other bent, or "Ina Bauer"), turns, small jumps are permitted at any point in the sequence. Except during such
pushes, steps, turns and small jumps, the competitor must be primarily in a spiral position, that is with the free leg higher than the hip level and variations of the position are permitted, including holding the knee or skate blade and the position of the free leg is otherwise free.

Moves in the Field
This is a sequence of movements, which includes such movements as turns, spirals, arabesques, spread eagles, Ina Bauers and flowing moves with strong edges, which can be connected with linking steps and footwork. For Men Moves
in the Field should be included in the program and will be evaluated under the "Transitions".

CDMM1991

Medalist
I'm happy that all of these skaters are going back to programs that they are more comfortable with for the Olympics. Hey, it worked for Salé and Pelletier, it could work for anybody. I can see how it would be much easier to go out there and skate your best if the music and the choreography was already, second-nature I guess you could say.

Especially when it seems like a piece of music has brought out the best in the skater in the past, like Shiz with Turandot and Johnny with Otonal. These programs were banner seasons for both, so hopefully they will come in handy. Is there anywhere in the rules for the new judging system that would suggest a skater might be penalized for this?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
This could work better than it did for Sale/Pelletier, who had a breakout performance with Love Story as their second GPF LP. I didn't think so, but many people posted at the time that they thought that S/P's Olympic performance didn't have the magic of their GPF performance.

Arakawa, Ando (I don't know what she's replacing MFV with), and Weir won't have performed their new/old programs this year in competition before the Olympics. It isn't clear if the programs that Cohen and Buttle performed at their respective nationals is the final version.

antmanb

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
This could work better than it did for Sale/Pelletier, who had a breakout performance with Love Story as their second GPF LP. I didn't think so, but many people posted at the time that they thought that S/P's Olympic performance didn't have the magic of their GPF performance.

Arakawa, Ando (I don't know what she's replacing MFV with), and Weir won't have performed their new/old programs this year in competition before the Olympics. It isn't clear if the programs that Cohen and Buttle performed at their respective nationals is the final version.

Let's hope that Weir adds the 8th jumping pass to Otonal that was missing at worlds last year otherwise he's shooting himself in the foot!

Ant

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am remembering all of the complaining that it was unfair for Kwan to reuse "Rach" for her SP in 2002 and that S&P took the easy route by reusing "Love Story". I kind of like the idea that skaters would use their best competitive programs from the past four years for their Olympic program.

soogar

Record Breaker
I really don't like Shiz reusing a program. Too bad TT really put her in the hole with that ponderous program. I wish Morozov could choreograph another program for her but she really doesn't have enough time.

It woudl be a wonderful surprise if Shiz could pull a medal, but I really don't think she has it in her.

Going back to an old program does create the impression that the new programs fizzled that at first seemed so full of promise. Johnny Weir was very enthusiastic about his new LP this year, especially about the choice of music. Then -- phttt.

Same with Sale and Pelletier. It wasn't so much that they wanted to do Love Story as that they never really mastered Orchid.

MM

mzheng

Record Breaker
Did I read wrong from FSU? It was said just the music changes to the old one, the choreography does not change that much. Maybe hear the old music will bring her back to some comfort level?

Is there anyone think changing things that late, does it show somehow less confidance?

Gatzbee

Rinkside
wow, i thought it was a good program for her, but i thought the only time it really sang for me was at worlds. and IMO that was b/c TT helped accent some of the moves in the program for her better. i remember her performance of it while she was still with callahan and morosov choreo'd it for her at the winter marshalls cheesefest and it just didn't have as much umph. at worlds she was emoting more i think not only from within on a mental level but also with bigger and more confident arm and body gestures.