Curl Girls ready for Torino | Golden Skate

Curl Girls ready for Torino

TaraFanatic4eva

Rinkside
As some of you know I am working with NBC at the Olympics. As a personal project to accompany my trip, I have been in contact with a number of Olympians. Below is an article written about the US Women's curling team.

Curl Girls ready for Torino
By Danielle Barnet

Why sweep your kitchen floor when you could be sweeping ice?

For Cassie Johnson, Jamie Johnson, Jessica Schultz, Maureen Brunt, and Courtney George, the answer is simple. They make up the United States Women’s Olympic Curling Team, and the Opening Ceremony in Torino is just weeks away.

“It won’t hit me until we’re marching with the other athletes,” said 21 year-old second Schultz. I can’t even imagine; it’s the Olympics.”

To train for the Olympics, the women have been living together in Bemidji, Minn. Schultz, Brunt, and George relocated to the Johnson sisters’ hometown so they could dedicate more time to practicing.

“Its weird being away from home,” said Brunt, the 23-year-old who plays lead. But the curling team is like family now, and Cassie and Jamie’s parents have become surrogate parents for us.”

The average age of this American curling team is 22, very young for a sport whose competitors are usually in their mid-30s. Still, their youth has created a special bond and closeness and the women now think of each other as sisters.

Although curling is a popular sport in Canada and Scotland, it only began to gain exposure in the United States during the last Olympics in 2002. In Torino, curling tickets have been the fastest to sell.

“We like it when even two more people know about it,” said Brunt. “We hope we can help promote the game.”

Curling is a mix of shuffleboard and darts on ice. Teams are made up of four players and eight 42-pound stones. Teams alternately slide their stones down a strip of ice towards a circular, bull’s-eye like area known as the house. After all 16 stones are thrown the end, or round, is over and the team with the stone closest to the tee scores. After 10 ends, the team with the most points wins.

“There is a lot more to it than what you see,” said Brunt. “You have to come out and try it to understand.”

Courtney George, the team’s alternate, added, “Everyone who tries it loves it.”

Cassie Johnson’s team qualified for the Olympics last February at the U.S. Trials, and later went on to win the silver medal at Worlds in Paisley, Scotland. The ladies are in contention for a medal in Torino, which would be the United States first in curling.

“[Winning a medal in Torino] would be ridiculous,” said George. “It would be out of control; we would probably cry our eyes out.”

While bringing home a medal is the team’s ultimate goal, they are going to Torino very grounded.

“We all went home for Christmas to get our heads on straight,” said Schultz. “Our goals are to not get distracted, play our best, and have fun. I’m just going with no expectations.”

The women will take full advantage of the Olympic experience, marching in the Opening Ceremonies and living in the Olympic Village.

“I’m going to keep my eyes open and soak it all in,” said George. There will probably be picture opportunities every five minutes.”

Even though the team leaves for Torino on Wednesday, reality hasn’t set in yet. The team’s competition season, which has already taken them to Canada and Norway, has been enough to keep women busy.

“We’ve been waiting so long,” said Brunt. “I feel like I should still be waiting.”

“Representing the United States will be completely unreal,” said George. “We are used to being Team USA, but at the Olympics, it hasn’t sunk in yet.”

Nice article, Dani. And congratulations on your Olympic assignment!!!

A curling stone weighs 42 pounds?! That's three bowling balls! I have a new admiration for these guys and gals.

Mathman :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Click HERE and tell me this thing doesn't look like something Wilma Flintstone would use to iron Fred's shirts. :biggrin: