Paul Wylie's Keeping Busy | Golden Skate

Paul Wylie's Keeping Busy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's working with Dr. Franklin Grahm on a new Children's Ministries program and will be promoting it in the next few weeks.

How I found out is he's coming to my church here in Anchorage, Alaska on Feb. 12th and will be speaking breifly about his faith and the program during the regular church service. But mostly he will be hanging with the kids in the Children's Department (do you think I could pass for a 10 year old? :rofl: )

I just found it to be completely random, and I was a little more than excited when I found out, but I figured I'd share... you all should keep and eye and ear open to see if he's coming to a place of worship near you! :agree:

76olympics

On the Ice
That is so cool, Tonichelle. I would love a chance to talk to Paul--always loved his skating style and thought he was many-faceted in his interests. My mom is a big Billy Graham fan-so she would probably go to see his son, though.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, that is fantastic. You know, he's on my all time favorite list. Take pictures, Toni..............42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Show, like I need to be reminded to take photos ;)... I'm actually thinking about learning how to use the video feature on my camera...

then again they televise the church service here in Anchorage so I guess that'd be kind of redundant!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni, right after I posted I thought the same thing.......that's like telling Toni to remember to breathe.........:laugh: 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Toni, right after I posted I thought the same thing.......that's like telling Toni to remember to breathe.........:laugh: 42
LOL!!!!! you know, when I saw him (very briefly) at Nationals I went all "crap what do I do?" I didn't have my camera and I'm still so bummed about that. He was congratulating Melissa and Denis on their silver medal, which I thought was just so cool! :agree:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Awww, I've been a fan of his since I was 11 or so. I'd love to meet him. Sucha cutie pie, like Scottie, lol.

I've noticed he does not stand by his word, but allows the judges to make the final decision. Why not? He doesn't want to be controversial.

Joe

Well, the judges do have the final decision, no matter what Paul Wylie allows or doesn't allow.

I don't think this is so bad. Paul gives his perspective, then says, well, that's my opinion -- now let's see what the judges say.

MM

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I've noticed he does not stand by his word, but allows the judges to make the final decision. Why not? He doesn't want to be controversial.

Joe

The judges DO make the final decision. No different than the judges or officials of any sport in comparison to the commentators. They both render opinions (otherwise why HAVE commentators!) but the opinions that count are the official ones.

dG

Mathman said:
Well, the judges do have the final decision, no matter what Paul Wylie allows or doesn't allow.

I don't think this is so bad. Paul gives his perspective, then says, well, that's my opinion -- now let's see what the judges say.MM
If you are going to take me literally then Paul has never said well, that's my opli
nion. He often says that looks like an underrotated jump. Will it be downgraded to a double? He know for sure if the jump was underrotated, but will not committ hemself to his beliefs. Believe it or not we ALL KNOW THE JUDGES HAVE THE FINAL SAY. IMO, Paul is playing it safe, and not committing to controversy. Again, I don't blame him.

Joe

Doggygirl said:
The judges DO make the final decision. No different than the judges or officials of any sport in comparison to the commentators. They both render opinions (otherwise why HAVE commentators!) but the opinions that count are the official ones. dg
Again - Where did I speak of the judges NOT making the final decision? I was speaking about Paul being cautious to actually to commit himself to what he believes to avoid controversy. It's not opinion by Paul, it's fact since he actually sees the skater live as do the judges. I don't blame him for avoiding controversy. Just look at how posters got worked up over Bezic and Hamilton.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Joe, this is where you say that Paul does not stand by his word, but allows the judges to make the final decision. Paul is a commentator, not a judge. The judges DO make final decisions. I'm unclear about your point.

DG

Doggygirl said:
Joe, this is where you say that Paul does not stand by his word, but allows the judges to make the final decision. Paul is a commentator, not a judge. The judges DO make final decisions. I'm unclear about your point.

DG
DG - Yes, I did and it did not make my point clear. You picked up on the dumb part of the sentence and of course it's back to me to clarify. I understand.

Paul will not stand by his word by adding that the final decision rests with the judges. Of course I would not believe that he has any influence over the judges.

Paul is the topic of discussion. He will notice something in a program. He announces it. Then will phrase something to the effect that he will wait for the judges to decide if he was correct on what he viewed. OK. He will not ever claim that the tech asst was incorrect. I don't think he has to do that unless he is avoiding controversy. that was my point. We are aware of the judges decisions and the tech assistant's power.

I prefer Paul to other commentators and I can forgive him for what I perceive as a weakness on his part.

I hope all this makes sense. By all means disagree with me.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't blame him either... look at all the crap Scott still gets for 02, look how NBC dealt with Kurt... and then there's always the simple fact that no one really understands the CoP and how the tech. callers will actually play the game :laugh:

it will be interesting to see how NBC and affiliates deal with the judging system. Scott was trying to figure it all out during nationals... so we'll see...

but I don't think the new judging system will come up when he's speaking up here lol

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
DG - Yes, I did and it did not make my point clear. You picked up on the dumb part of the sentence and of course it's back to me to clarify. I understand.

Paul will not stand by his word by adding that the final decision rests with the judges. Of course I would not believe that he has any influence over the judges.

Paul is the topic of discussion. He will notice something in a program. He announces it. Then will phrase something to the effect that he will wait for the judges to decide if he was correct on what he viewed. OK. He will not ever claim that the tech asst was incorrect. I don't think he has to do that unless he is avoiding controversy. that was my point. We are aware of the judges decisions and the tech assistant's power.

I prefer Paul to other commentators and I can forgive him for what I perceive as a weakness on his part.

I hope all this makes sense. By all means disagree with me.

Joe

OK - I probably need to hit myself over the head with a hammer. ;) I still don't understand how any comrnentator (Paul, Scott, etc.) can be "held" to their comments. How could they be "held?" The judges are the ones who give scores (and the technical callers give jump rotations and levels). So if a commentator agrees or disagrees with the judges/callers......well, how is that wrong or bad? I could see the networks hiring those commentators wanting them to have opinions similar to the judges...but there are no ISU rules requiring that...right?

I would think that if the commentators tend to be WAY off from the judges / callers with their opinions, that the people hiring those commentators might look around for other commentators who are more "on" with the callers/judges. But aside from that, I guess I just have a thick skull. So I hope you are still willing to teach me more!!

DG

76olympics

On the Ice
Remember, Paul is still fairly new to commentary and he isn't known for his "brash" personality. I think he will become more assertive if he has more and more chances to commentate. I hope he does; he is knowledgable and relatively quiet. Scott goes at it like an NFL tonight.

Doggygirl said:
I would think that if the commentators tend to be WAY off from the judges / callers with their opinions, that the people hiring those commentators might look around for other commentators who are more "on" with the callers/judges.
That's an interesting question. The commentators are hired by the television networks, whose objective is to provide entertainment for the audience. ABC TV doesn't have to please the ISU. What makes for better TV, nice or cantankerous?

Back on topic (LOL), that's cool that Paul is contributing his time to the Children's Ministries program.

MM :)