Neglected pet | Golden Skate

Neglected pet

rollerblade

Record Breaker
A week before last Christmas, as I was taking the trash out, I heard a cat cry-meowing repeatedly from under my car. I'm not familiar with cats and their sounds, but a cry is what it sounded like.

No collar. A bit skinny but not terribly so. Fur looks good and not matted. The cat isn't afraid of humans - it came up to me without much of a coersion and rubs its body on my legs. Kept wanting to come inside the house. From my uneducated eyes, it's not one of those "street cat". Maybe the poor thing was lost.

The neighbor next door (whom I don't know much at all) was outside, getting ready to leave for work. I asked him if he has a cat, he said no. Told him I found this super friendly cat, and not sure what to do with it. I couldn't bring him inside, as I have a dog who has been "the only pet". Also, I didn't want to risk any potential problems (diseases, peeing etc)

I live in Phoenix, but it does get really cold at night in the winter. Neighbor said he loves animals and can keep him temporarily. Great!

Next couple days I checked around for any lost pet posters or listings. None that matches the description. I brought a cheap bag of cat food over the neighbor's house. Well, seems like the neighbor has decided to keep the cat. :) He told me he got attached (heh! it was a super sweet cat), and said the cat seems to get along with his dogs. He also told me he's bringing it to the vet to get fixed and to get some vaccines. Oh, and the cat is a boy and has a name now - Keanu. (LOL don't ask me, I didn't name him!)

So glad the kitty has a home, and I don't have to worry about finding one for him. Happy Christmas! :hap10:

Fast forward a month.....

Yesterday when I was outside dealing with a ultra tardy plumber to fix a leaky outdoor faucet, here comes Keanu and his same super-friendly self. Rolled over on his back as if he wanted a belly rub, which I thought was weird for a cat, but I really don't know cats!

Then I saw something. His right ear looked to be infected. Not a rash, but more like it's been injured(?).... like he suffered a bite or claw or something. It was at the base of the ear, not the tip. What an odd place to be bitten, I thought. Looks bad, but the cat wasn't itching it with his paw.

The cat kept following me and the plumber around. While the plumber didn't seem to mind animals, Keanu was getting in the way of his work. So I had kitty follow me next door (to his home, or so I thought). Told the neighbor his cat was on my porch, and casually brought up about the ear infection. I have a bad feeling, but I don't want to be confrontational. Neighbor said the cat has been spraying in the house (marking?), so now he stays ouside. They have a kennel for him in the back yard. And added he has a vet appointment this weekend to 'get him fixed'.

Sure hope I didn't hear that wrong, because I thought he was supposed to be neutered weeks ago. Maybe he meant get the ear fixed up. I don't know what a neutered cat would look like 'down there', but seems like he still has his balls(?). The overall impression I got was, the cat has food and water, but not much else. He seems to be neglected. :sad21:

Keanu was on my back patio in the evening. I set out a box with old towels for him. Not sure if he slept in there. It was cold last night, ~40F. I kept telling him to go home, but doubt he understood what I said.

I'm so upset! Wanted to knock on neighbor's door again, but I don't want to be "that nosey neighbor". Why does the cat keep coming to my house, wanting to be let inside? What else am I supposed to think? Maybe Keanu turned out to be a handful, more than what he bargained for. If I have extra money, I'd bring the cat to a vet myself. Husband doesn't mind keeping an outdoor cat, but I don't think he'd agree to a random vet bill.

Not sure what to do. It's not my cat to give away (which is harder now with the injured ear.) I can't call the Country Animal Care & Control, because I have no proof of anything. Besides, shelters might as be renamed to animal death row, especially for cats.

It's really windy here today. Right now the cat is on my back patio again, laying in the box I set out, probably to shelter himself from the strong winds. :cry:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Do you have a garage you could let him into at night just while it's winter? That might be the kindest thing in this situation. Could you take him to a vet just to get him scanned for a microchip on the off chance his original owners are looking for him? I'm 90% sure he was dumped (especially with him being intact) but you never know for sure. A vet would not charge to check this.

stella luna

Final Flight
We have experience with stray cats. In our old neighborhood people would move and abandon their cats. So these tame cats had no home. Sad.

We started feeding and housing the two tamest ones in our garage during bad weather, and became attached to them. Shelters and rescues we contacted said they already had too many cats. Finally, when we moved from the neighborhood, our vet got them into a no-kill shelter that has a screened-in outdoor area as well as indoor space. One, I've pictured him in my avatar, has become the office pet. The people at the shelter like him so much they have decided to not adopt him out; he's been there since September and is now the official office cat.

Check for no-kill shelters and animal rescues in your area, online and in the phone book. Talk to your vet and see if he knows anyone who is looking for a cat or knows of any rescues or shelters. Also, don't stop trying if you've been rejected from shelters or rescues. Get your name on a waiting list and be a (nice) pest.

There are outdoor shelters you can make or buy for stray cats:

https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com...02/10-awesome-winter-shelters-for-feral-cats/

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/feral_cats/tips/caring_feral_cats_winter.html

It's horrible when people leave their pets to fend for themselves. Good luck!

psycho

On the Ice
Poor baby :( Thank you for caring about him and trying to improve his situation. I have no words for people who keep pets outside because they are 'inconvenient'.:angry1::disagree::disapp::dev2: Humans really are the worst...:scowl:

humbaba

Final Flight
Neutering the cat can reduce the spraying. It should at least eliminate the tomcat smell of the urine.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Just wanted to add a bit of info regarding the neutering. Cats can continue to spray for a short time after being spayed/neutered, although none that I ever have had as a pet ever did after their surgeries. Cat testicles are about as round as the size of a quarter or so & the sac won't really be visible at all through the fur once removed, so it sounds like he wasn't fixed.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
If your neighbor is unable to care for the cat properly and you are unable to adopt it, it will live outdoors as a feral and adjust to that life unless it is able to rehome itself to a new family. The longer it remains outdoors, however, the more likely it will lose the ability to trust humans. Feral cats live about half as long as indoor cats.
Cats will mark their territory even after they have been neutered if they share their living space with other cats or dogs unless they have been born/raised in an environment with others. The outdoor shelters described in the post above are more than adequate for Arizona winters. Perhaps you could convince your neighbor to construct one if he is unwilling to keep the cat indoors. Or maybe you could build one to tuck into the yard somewhere out of the wind. Dry food and water will keep it well hydrated and nourished but veterinary care is another matter. Are there any animal advocacy groups in your area (like Animal Allies) etc? They have programs to help strays get neutering, rabies, distemper shots and injuries infections cared for. Owning a cat is a huge responsibility requires commitment and cannot be done half way. Vet care can be expensive.
Barn cats in country settings can do quite well if they are given food to supplement their hunting skills. Might be worth trying to help relocate him to a farm setting if that is possible.
Your concern is commendable and heartfelt and I wish you well in your effort to help.

stella luna

Final Flight
If he is neutered he will be less likely to fight with other male cats, which is how he probably got his ear injury.

Just wanted to add a bit of info regarding the neutering. Cats can continue to spray for a short time after being spayed/neutered, although none that I ever have had as a pet ever did after their surgeries. Cat testicles are about as round as the size of a quarter or so & the sac won't really be visible at all through the fur once removed, so it sounds like he wasn't fixed.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
A county animal control facility is not going to help you or the cat - they typically pick up strays and if they're not claimed within a short period of time, they euthanize them.

I'm pretty judgmental when it comes to pets: if a person can't or won't properly care for them, they shouldn't own them. If this cat has an untreated, visible, ear injury it's very likely in pain and suffering, and needs help. If the "owner" is taking no responsibility, I personally wouldn't feel guilty about asking an animal advocacy or rescue group to intervene. My suggestion would be to speak with your vet and ask what they suggest.

Thanks for caring about this kitty and trying to help it. Many animals aren't so lucky.

stella luna

Final Flight
Cats are a lot easier to care for than dogs. A lot of times it's easier to introduce a cat and a dog than two cats. It sounds like kitty likes you, too bad yo can't keep him! ;) I'm probably going to take a donation to the shelter that took mine so I can visit him.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it were me, I'd have him checked by a vet, get his shots, get him fixed and at least try him with the dog (bring him into house and keep him in one room separate from the dog) Unless the dog has a super high prey drive. Neutering typically fixes peeing outside the box. The only disease I know of that is transmittable between dogs and cats is rabies and he certainly doesn't sound rabid. Outside cats tend to not last too long. Cars, dogs, coyotes, antifreeze/poison, mean people, disease, many other factors.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
From experience, cats and dogs in the same household can work well. Moonvine's advice is spot on. Patience, slow introduction, insisting your dog understands kitty is now "part of the pack" without question. Firm but kind, "NO" and "Leave him/her Alone!!" to posturing, barking/howling, hissing, whining, chasing. This phase will pass then curiosity, inspection and settling in begins. They may even become BFFs...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From experience, cats and dogs in the same household can work well. Moonvine's advice is spot on. Patience, slow introduction, insisting your dog understands kitty is now "part of the pack" without question. Firm but kind, "NO" and "Leave him/her Alone!!" to posturing, barking/howling, hissing, whining, chasing. This phase will pass then curiosity, inspection and settling in begins. They may even become BFFs...

I have a cat who LOVES the dog. He will go lie down beside him, groom him, etc. Unfortunately the dog is quite indifferent:(

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have a cat who LOVES the dog. He will go lie down beside him, groom him, etc. Unfortunately the dog is quite indifferent:(

It's so nice to see isn't it? With 2 dogs and 6 cats (now), there are varying degrees of interaction but everyone gets along ... The 2 newest cats came last May and never saw dogs before and of course the beagle took advantage of that! :drama: but they are so comfortable with each other now. :agree2:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think you should just tell your neighbour that you've time to take the cat to the vet. Tell him that you feel responsible for it as well because he ended up with the cat because of you. I don't think that this could be considered to be offensive.
Regarding the temperature - cats shouldn't have a huge problem when it's cold if they are used to being outside. But they need a place that's protected, dry and not drafty. But if they have to be outside when it's cold they will always try to sneak inside.

Eclair

Medalist
cats are curious animals, there're lots of cats in my neighborhood that try to sneak in the house, even though they have perfectly fine homes. Maybe he just wanted to pay you a visit since you fed him when he was a stray?
psusanne's idea is pretty practical. Just ask your neighbour if there's anything you could help him with, since you also feel responsible for the cat. If you're uncomfortable with the cat being outside at night, you could always leave the garage door open with a dry box and a blanket, a little water + cat food in it. It's great that you keep an eye on the cat :agree: