Rena Inoue Discusses Her Lung Cancer | Golden Skate

Rena Inoue Discusses Her Lung Cancer

bronxgirl

Medalist
how unusual to get that diagnosis at such an early age, and how courageous to endure the treatments, and return to skating at such a level. :rock:

Saundy

On the Ice
Longhornliz said:
That is unusual, was she a smoker you think?

I've been wondering the same thing. As far as I know you can only get lung cancer, if you don't smoke, when it spreads from another type of cancer or from second hand smoke.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope & pray that Rena will be totally out of the woods with regard to the cancer.

Good luck to Rena & John in Torino! :agree:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Saundy said:
I've been wondering the same thing. As far as I know you can only get lung cancer, if you don't smoke, when it spreads from another type of cancer or from second hand smoke.
Are you sure? I'm not a medic, but that's not how I think it is. There are many other substances that increase the risk of lung cancer (such as asbestos). Having l.c. in the family increases the risk many-fold.

soogar

Record Breaker
There are non-smokers who get lung cancer. I just saw a documentary on a woman who has advanced lung cancer and she never smoked. Also Rena is from Japan and they smoke a lot there. She might have gotten it from second hand smoke combined with the genetic propensity to get lung cancer.

Saundy

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Are you sure? I'm not a medic, but that's not how I think it is. There are many other substances that increase the risk of lung cancer (such as asbestos). Having l.c. in the family increases the risk many-fold.

Well I only gave 2 things that I knew of. I'm pretty sure there are many more, but those are the 2 most popular causes.

I had a Grandmother who had cancer and it spread to her lungs and became a secondary source. My Grandmother, unfortunately, was not as lucky.

I hope Rena stays healthy and doesn't have any more scares with cancer because cancer steals too many lives these days...

Last edited:
I

IcyBallerina

Cause of Lung cancer

There are more than one type of lung cancer--mesothelioma, adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma and others. Only squamous cell cancer is smoking related. Mesothelioma is caused by asbestos exposure. Cancer that spreads from somewhere else in the body is called metastasis. Other cancers like lympoma and occur in the chest, near the lungs. With out a cell type, one can't say where it came from.

Most important pediatric lung cancer is VERY rare. I think all of us parents should be grateful for that.

IcyB's Doctor Mom

bronxgirl

Medalist
Christopher Reeve's wife has been battling lung cancer, and she was never a smoker. Second hand smoke can carry the same carcinogens to nonsomkers (though at a lower level), but if the exposure lasts long enough in a genetically susceptible individual, the result is a tumor. I'm glad that Rena's disease seems to have been caught in time, and all the best to her and her partner at Turino!!!!:clap:

S

SkateFan4Life

bronxgirl said:
Christopher Reeve's wife has been battling lung cancer, and she was never a smoker. Second hand smoke can carry the same carcinogens to nonsomkers (though at a lower level), but if the exposure lasts long enough in a genetically susceptible individual, the result is a tumor. I'm glad that Rena's disease seems to have been caught in time, and all the best to her and her partner at Turino!!!!:clap:

How sad and tragic for Christopher Reeve's widow! Indeed, lung cancer can be contracted people who have never smoked.

All the best fo Rena! I wish her a long life of excellent health!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
toxins in the air (that you breath) can also probably cause Lung cancer - pollution, contamination, second hand smoke etc.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:

and second hand smoke is worse b/c there is no filter.