I think MK is at the olympics to have fun | Golden Skate

I think MK is at the olympics to have fun

Amber11

Rinkside
and if a medal comes along with that, then so be it. I see from her interviews that she is relaxed and not worried about the GOLD medal. People are complaining that she did the opening ceremony, walked for 4 hours, and now her groin has flared-up. I believe, in my own opinion, that she is not taking this competion as the end of her life. She is going out to do her best and I don't think she cares if she gets that medal. She is content with herself as is and is enjoying the whole olympic experience. So what if she doesn't win, she still have a career, which is more than I can say for a lot of people in this country right now. Ford has announced they are laying off 30,000 employees, many people jobs are being outsourced to India and other countries, and we many people in this country are living below poverty level. So, whatever what happens to MK, she is still better off than half the population in the US. That said, she is doing pretty darn good.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Yes, to have fun & Skate 2 Great Programs & Hoepfully win a the only Olympic Medal that she doesn't have.:clap:

I'm sorry, but if Kwan only went to this Olympics to "have fun," she should have declined the bye. Hughes, Liang, even Amber Corwin could have gone to "have fun" for the same plane fare.

My understanding was that USFSA sent Michelle over to get RESULTS, not "have fun." (The boost in ratings that Michelle's presence would bring probably weighed into it, too.)

The "fun" comes AFTER the competition. If she wants to go have FUN, let her skate in the pro shows.

[/snark]

Taan

On the Ice
:rofl: yes , i agree, making millions from endorsements from mega-corps at the olympics is always a good way to have fun :rofl: :agree:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Taan said:
:rofl: yes , i agree, making millions from endorsements from mega-corps at the olympics is always a good way to have fun :rofl: :agree:

She did not look llike she was having fun today.

demarinis5 said:
She did not look llike she was having fun today.

Nor is she going to have much fun when the competition starts and, God forbid, she makes a mistake. Sandra Bezic will eat her alive.:unsure:

Jhar55

Medalist
Misplaced, a lot of athletes go to the Olympics "just to have fun" WHY, because they know they don't have a snowballs chance to medal in their sport, and when they are done with their sport and later in life they have the bragging right to say Hey I was there and had the time of my life. Can you say that? I can't, and nowone I know can either. :clap: :clap:

jesslily

Final Flight
I don't think that Michelle is at the Olympics to have fun. But deep in her mind she had not been motivated to pursue the gold seriously. She knows that she simply can not get it. For years Michelle said she is OK if she does not get the Olympic gold medal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She has SAID that, but I think she's truly emotional about it. She still really wants it. It sounds like it just wasn't meant for her. I don't think she'll go to 2010...she'll be 29, and besides, she peaked a long time ago.

S

SkateFan4Life

Sadly, all of this is a moot point, since Michelle has withdrawn from the competition.

jesslily said:
I don't think that Michelle is at the Olympics to have fun. But deep in her mind she had not been motivated to pursue the gold seriously. She knows that she simply can not get it. For years Michelle said she is OK if she does not get the Olympic gold medal.
Jessilly, I think you are the one who is really speaking the truth. IMO, it's our culture, and perhaps many of Michelle's fans, that couldn't cope with Michelle NOT training all out to win the OGM. We are a WINNER society, and despite Michelle winning everything in sight many times over, the Icon Michelle had not won the Icon OGM.

This is just my guess, of course, but I imagine Michelle must have really been pulled in two directions at the same time. That is, wanting to go after the OGM but just not having the "fire in the belly" anymore to do it. But she wouldn't want to let down her fans, lef down the USFSA, or perhaps even let down her own sense of destiny.

Forgive me for sounding like amateur night on Dr. Phil. These are just my musings prompted by what I found to be very true in Jessilly's post. And in case there's any question, I wish Michelle nothing but the best in whatever she chooses to do.

Rgirl

I think her main motivation (I can't abide Dr. Phil, LOL) this time around was that she did not want to have any regrets. If she had chosen early in the season not to compete, she might have spent the rest of her life wondering what might have happened.

This way...

Regrets...she'll have a few...
But then again...too few to mention...
She did...what she had to do...
She saw it though...without exemption...

MM

Michelle lost it in SLC (I hope I don't need therapy for recalling a past year). She got it back in DC and big time. She win's gold, gets medals without really trying so Moscow was a too late wakeup call, imo. However it did wake her up and the move to the CoP style of mucho tricks got her with injuries.

She'll be fine. I think the loss of a medal is not part of the sadness as much as the inability to compete which she really enjoyed.

Joe

Jhar55 said:
Misplaced, a lot of athletes go to the Olympics "just to have fun" WHY, because they know they don't have a snowballs chance to medal in their sport, and when they are done with their sport and later in life they have the bragging right to say Hey I was there and had the time of my life. Can you say that? I can't, and nowone I know can either. :clap: :clap:

You know, had it been, say, Kimmie, or now Emily, I could buy that. But when it's Michelle Kwan, whose *only* missing medal was Olympic gold, and who stuck around 4 more years for one more shot at it, I think she was in it for more than "fun." And I think she really did think she had more than a "snowball's chance."

Guess it doesn't make any difference, now. Though I guess if she'd just gone to "have fun," she'd've stuck around and partied with Chad Hedrick or something.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
She'll be fine. I think the loss of a medal is not part of the sadness as much as the inability to compete which she really enjoyed.

Joe
This is the truth. :agree: