MK Pros on Edeas or Risports - too long? | Golden Skate

MK Pros on Edeas or Risports - too long?

flute_lutz

Spectator
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but have read a lot of other posts. I can't seem to find any information about this issue I am having.

I am an adult skater and recently switched from Eclipse blades to MK Pros. I was told I will have to replace my boots in a few months and have been looking at various options. I currently have Riedell Diamonds (boot & blade combo). I'm not a huge fan of Riedell and do not want to go with them again. And Jackson's are too way too wide for me. Originally I wanted to go with the Edea Chorus boots, but my tech told me MK Pros are too long for them. I then chose to look at Risport, as they are fairly similar. She told me they also will not work with my new blades.

I'm not sure if this is useful information, but my Riedells are a size 7 1/2 and my blades are 10 1/4. Obviously it doesn't really help if I don't know my size in Risport or Edea, but I thought it was a good reference point. She ordered the same size in MK Pros as my Eclipse blades. But I know that MK's are longer than some other blades; they have a longer tail than my current blades.

Does anyone know anything about this issue and can give me any advice. It feels like I'm pretty much stuck with Riedell's and I'm really confused as to what to do. I've heard of other people having these blade and boot combos before, so I just don't understand why mine won't work.

Thank you :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but have read a lot of other posts. I can't seem to find any information about this issue I am having.

I am an adult skater and recently switched from Eclipse blades to MK Pros. I was told I will have to replace my boots in a few months and have been looking at various options. I currently have Riedell Diamonds (boot & blade combo). I'm not a huge fan of Riedell and do not want to go with them again. And Jackson's are too way too wide for me. Originally I wanted to go with the Edea Chorus boots, but my tech told me MK Pros are too long for them. I then chose to look at Risport, as they are fairly similar. She told me they also will not work with my new blades.

I'm not sure if this is useful information, but my Riedells are a size 7 1/2 and my blades are 10 1/4. Obviously it doesn't really help if I don't know my size in Risport or Edea, but I thought it was a good reference point. She ordered the same size in MK Pros as my Eclipse blades. But I know that MK's are longer than some other blades; they have a longer tail than my current blades.

Does anyone know anything about this issue and can give me any advice. It feels like I'm pretty much stuck with Riedell's and I'm really confused as to what to do. I've heard of other people having these blade and boot combos before, so I just don't understand why mine won't work.

Hi and welcome! Do you have a reputable fitter? Have they measured your foot and traced it as to know the shape and what brands it fits best?
Graf would be another option if you have more narrow feet. Also, Risport are NOTHING like Edea.

Let us know what your feet are like: arches, foot type, etc and also area you are in and we can suggest a proper fitter.

flute_lutz

Spectator
Hi and welcome! Do you have a reputable fitter? Have they measured your foot and traced it as to know the shape and what brands it fits best?
Graf would be another option if you have more narrow feet. Also, Risport are NOTHING like Edea.

Let us know what your feet are like: arches, foot type, etc and also area you are in and we can suggest a proper fitter.
Thank you for your response.

My fitter is well known in my area and every couch and skater I know goes to them and recommends them, so I believe they are. I'm still new to skating, so I am still learning. I live in the Buffalo, New York area. They have measured and traced my foot when I got my last pair of skates. I originally wanted Jackson's and when I was fitted, they turned out to be too wide for me so I went with Riedell's. My Riedell's are rated as a medium for width, if that helps. I have a pretty high arch as well.

I know nothing about Risport or Edea though, as I've obviously only skated in Riedell. However, my fitter told me they are similar and that's why the blades probably won't fit either. I was leaning more towards Risport's because I've had peroneal tendinitis recently and heard they were better for that.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm confused about what you are asking. Are you trying to keep your existing MK Pros and concerned about whether they will fit on a new pair of Edeas or Risports? Or are you concerned that MK Pros (a new pair ordered after you decide on your new boots) won't match properly with Edeas or Risports at all?

flute_lutz

Spectator
I'm confused about what you are asking. Are you trying to keep your existing MK Pros and concerned about whether they will fit on a new pair of Edeas or Risports? Or are you concerned that MK Pros (a new pair ordered after you decide on your new boots) won't match properly with Edeas or Risports at all?
I am concerned about whether my new MK Pros will fit on a new pair of Edeas or Risports. I have to get new boots soon and those were the brands I have been looking at. But my fitter told me neither of them will fit with the MK Pros because they are apparently too long for the boots. I was just wondering if that is entirely true because I have seen people with Pros with Edeas and Risports before. They're such a common blade and these brands are very common too, I can't imagine they'd make boots that wouldn't work with such a common blade.

christy

On the Ice
The length of the sole of the boot dictates the length of the blade required. The fitter is assuming that you will be in a different brand of boot and the brands you are looking at will need a blade of a different length. You can still get an MK Pro, but it may be 10" not 10 1/4"

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am concerned about whether my new MK Pros will fit on a new pair of Edeas or Risports. I have to get new boots soon and those were the brands I have been looking at. But my fitter told me neither of them will fit with the MK Pros because they are apparently too long for the boots. I was just wondering if that is entirely true because I have seen people with Pros with Edeas and Risports before. They're such a common blade and these brands are very common too, I can't imagine they'd make boots that wouldn't work with such a common blade.
If I understand you correctly, you think your fitter is saying that Edeas and Risports won't work with MK Pros. Period. Is that correct?

If you check the Edea website, they list blades that go with their boots. One of them is the MK Pro,

And if you check the Risport website, you can download their catalogue,

The catalogue lists blades that go with their boots. One of them is the MK Pro.

But the required length (blade size), as christy wrote above, will depend on the particular boot.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
'm not sure if this is useful information, but my Riedells are a size 7 1/2 and my blades are 10 1/4. Obviously it doesn't really help if I don't know my size in Risport or Edea, but I thought it was a good reference point. She ordered the same size in MK Pros as my Eclipse blades. But I know that MK's are longer than some other blades; they have a longer tail than my current blades.
Don't confuse the length of the runner (the portion of the blade with the edges that you skate on) with the blade size (measured from the front tip of the sole mounting plate to the rear tip of the heel mounting plate).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your response.

My fitter is well known in my area and every couch and skater I know goes to them and recommends them, so I believe they are. I'm still new to skating, so I am still learning. I live in the Buffalo, New York area. They have measured and traced my foot when I got my last pair of skates. I originally wanted Jackson's and when I was fitted, they turned out to be too wide for me so I went with Riedell's. My Riedell's are rated as a medium for width, if that helps. I have a pretty high arch as well.

I know nothing about Risport or Edea though, as I've obviously only skated in Riedell. However, my fitter told me they are similar and that's why the blades probably won't fit either. I was leaning more towards Risport's because I've had peroneal tendinitis recently and heard they were better for that.
I have tendonitis and extremely high arches and have worn Risport for a long time, and they've been great to me competitively and beyond.

I'm confused why if your foot was traced etc the fitter still put you in the wrong boot. There's something off about that to me.

Again, Graf is another choice for you. If you aren't happy with Riedell, then Edea is a no, also you are going to need support for your ankles and Edea is not going to give that to you either.

Good luck!

Elija

On the Ice
I think you are just confusing what your fitter said - it’s not that mk pros in general don’t fit with edea and risport (as you say, many people have this combo), just that your particular mk pros will not. You will likely have to buy a smaller size mk pro as edea and risport normally take a shorter blade than some other brands.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Agree that you have misunderstood what the fitter said. You can put any blade on any boot, but the blade has to be the appropriate length for that boot. Riedell has the lowest heel height of the major bootmakers; this means that compared to another brand boot in the same size (with a higher heel), the sole length is longer and therefore needs a longer length blade. Since Riedell does have the lowest heel on the market, this is likely going to be an issue you'll have regardless of what brand you move to.

You can get any boot you want, you'll just need to buy new MK Pro blades for them if indeed the shorter length is needed. I do hear there is quite a shortage of certain sizes of MK Pros and Coronation Aces at the moment.

ayakashi

Rinkside
Agree that you have misunderstood what the fitter said. You can put any blade on any boot, but the blade has to be the appropriate length for that boot. Riedell has the lowest heel height of the major bootmakers; this means that compared to another brand boot in the same size (with a higher heel), the sole length is longer and therefore needs a longer length blade. Since Riedell does have the lowest heel on the market, this is likely going to be an issue you'll have regardless of what brand you move to.

You can get any boot you want, you'll just need to buy new MK Pro blades for them if indeed the shorter length is needed. I do hear there is quite a shortage of certain sizes of MK Pros and Coronation Aces at the moment.
I had the same issue moving out of my Riedell’s and into my Jacksons, so now I have practically new 9.25” Coronation Ace blades that I have no use for :cry:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had the same issue moving out of my Riedell’s and into my Jacksons, so now I have practically new 9.25” Coronation Ace blades that I have no use for :cry:
Given the blade shortage, you should be able to sell them to a very happy buyer.

O_O

Spectator
I wear the same size Riedell. I am in Diamond. I got MK Pro 10 1/4. I already know that my size for Edea is 260. The outsole of Edea boots is shorter than most Riedell of the equivalent foot size. That is what your tech was trying to say. Also, different models of Riedell of the same 7.5 requires different blade size. I got new Riedell Vega boots and I can´t use my 10 1/4 MK Pro on those, the blade needs to be 10" instead of 10 1/4". I know that there are other models that will need even 10 1/2" blade in the same size 7.5 You can check the blade size guide for each brand you are interested in. E.g. if you are size 260 for Edea, then you will need blade size 9 3/4". It can be also MK Pro if you are happy with them.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

Hello!
With the different boot companies they have different sizing metrics. Reidell and SP Teri tend to have longer soles, Jackson making them generally shorter, and the European companies making them shorter still, so if your moving your blade from a Reidell to an Edea boot, they there is a very good chance the blade will be too long for the boot. I had to move down half a blade size when switching from Reidell to Jackson. All blades hold to the same sizing metric (a 10.5 Matrix Supreme will be the same length as a 10.5 John Wilson Coronation Ace) when measuring from toe plate to heel plate. The amount a toepick sticks out or the heel will stick out will vary but not affect the size fit. If you are a 7 1/2 Reidell then I believe you would be in a 265 Edea in which case you would need a size 10 blade.
Hope this information helps in your decision of how to move forward!

Lisask8s

Spectator
SP Teri work with MK. Been skating for over 50 years. Had my SP Teri boots w/ MK Pros for 20. I love them.