Could Lambiel or Buttle have won the long? | Golden Skate

Could Lambiel or Buttle have won the long?

Lambiel or Buttle winning the long with clean skate?

• Buttle yes, Lambiel no

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Buttle no, Lambiel yes

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • both yes

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • both no

Votes: 38 56.7%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Plushenko had skated the same way he did, could either Lambiel or Buttle have won the long with a clean performance?

Orion

Rinkside
Nothing bar a total meltdown on the ice from Plush would have kept him from his gold medal this time around! Everyone was in agreement that it was his for the taking and it would have taken a disaster of epic proportions for him to lose it! So, in spite of this being far from his most inspired performance, he definitely had "earned" the gold for being so dominant in the sport during the past few years. I'm happy for him! But still, he's no Yagudin.........

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Orion said:
Nothing bar a total meltdown on the ice from Plush would have kept him from his gold medal this time around!

Yes, but I was referring only to the long program victory, not the gold medal.

I find it funny that 15/37 believe Lysacek would have beaten Lambiel for the silver without his errors in the short, while only 9/31 think Lambiel would have won the long program over Plushenko without his errors in the long. Lysacek would have needed his PCS to increase by 3 points for this, Lambiel only by 4 points, once you deduct Lysacek's 2 errors in the short, and Lambiel's two errors in the long. Lambiel was likely to gain more points without his two flow-disrupting errors in the long, than Lysacek by his one flow-disrupting error in the short where PCS are halfed and by skating in the last group which has made no difference in scores here(look at Shen/Zhou's PCS in the pairs, when they were clearly atleast that far behind the Russians anyway, and still ahead of the other two Chinese).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lambiel could have won the freeskate at the Olympics with a clean performance including two quads, but he would not have won the gold medal. Plushenko had a too big lead after the short programme. The men´s competition was over after the short programme.