Do I need different boots? | Golden Skate

Do I need different boots?

AlySkates

Rinkside
Hello! For reference - I am 29 female, recently landed my axel and working on 2S.

I have been skating in Jackson 5300s for about 1.5 years. I went to a reputable fitter who took precise measurements and went with a rapid custom B width, did all the heat molding, etc. Prior to this I was in old Jackson Competitors that were way too big from a pro shop fitting. These ones feel just right....except for the heel!

As long as I've had my current boots I've had issues with heel slipping, resulting in lots of blisters on both heels and multiple haglunds bumps which I still have. To address this, my tech pinched in the ankle multiple times and added a heel lift, which were slight improvements. The only thing that finally made me comfortable was to wear ankle sleeve bunga pads pulled down over my heels and I have been doing this for a year now with no slipping and no pain at all (I tried the heel-specific bunga pads and they did not prevent the slipping).

Last week I forgot my bunga pads for the first time and had the shocking realization that I felt like I had way more control when my heel wasn't standing on a thick gel pad. However, it was super painful on my heels and I could only skate for 15 min before giving up. Now I'm dealing with some frustration over the fact that it seems like my skating could benefit from ditching the bunga pads, but I can't because of the pain.

It seems like I've exhausted all of the things my tech can do to help this and I'm left wondering if these just aren't the right boots for me. It's not the end of the world if I have to wear bunga pads, but I have the means to get myself the perfect boots if they exist. Would love any advice on what I can do, whether there are other boots you'd recommend, etc. Thanks!!

silverlily1

On the Ice
I had too-wide Jacksons for a year and a half, with narrow heels, and though I can't say whether they had anything to do with the amount of looseness in the ankles and heels, I do have Haglund's deformities on my heels now.

I have tried all sorts of padding combinations in my new skates that actually fit, and the one that works the best for me right now is an ankle bunga pad (solid tube of gel) over the right (smaller) ankle down to almost the bottom of the heel, followed by round makeup sponges (very compressible) on the bones around the heel on both feet, all held on with a dance footie tight. The foam pieces have little hollows cut out where the sharpest part of the bumps on my heels are. Nothing goes under my heel other than the tight and the skate's normal insole, because if my heel was lifted, my skate would slip in the heel.

I have some PU foam coming so I can customize the foam padding a bit better, as it takes about 2.5 makeup sponges per heel right now, and they tend to shift and create gaps. I'll be able to cut pieces that cover the whole area in one and play with padding stiffness combinations.

I plan to see a podiatrist in April. I know that they can order you custom heel cups to help with the problem, but I would want either a full insole or a heel cup that goes around the back but is wafer-thin under the heel.

I had a woman tell me last weekend that her husband got the surgery for the Haglund's deformity and the results felt miraculous.

I don't plan to change my skate boots because they do grab my heel well, but finding the best options is an ongoing process.

AlySkates

Rinkside
I had too-wide Jacksons for a year and a half, with narrow heels, and though I can't say whether they had anything to do with the amount of looseness in the ankles and heels, I do have Haglund's deformities on my heels now.

I have tried all sorts of padding combinations in my new skates that actually fit, and the one that works the best for me right now is an ankle bunga pad (solid tube of gel) over the right (smaller) ankle down to almost the bottom of the heel, followed by round makeup sponges (very compressible) on the bones around the heel on both feet, all held on with a dance footie tight. The foam pieces have little hollows cut out where the sharpest part of the bumps on my heels are. Nothing goes under my heel other than the tight and the skate's normal insole, because if my heel was lifted, my skate would slip in the heel.

I have some PU foam coming so I can customize the foam padding a bit better, as it takes about 2.5 makeup sponges per heel right now, and they tend to shift and create gaps. I'll be able to cut pieces that cover the whole area in one and play with padding stiffness combinations.

I plan to see a podiatrist in April. I know that they can order you custom heel cups to help with the problem, but I would want either a full insole or a heel cup that goes around the back but is wafer-thin under the heel.

I had a woman tell me last weekend that her husband got the surgery for the Haglund's deformity and the results felt miraculous.

I don't plan to change my skate boots because they do grab my heel well, but finding the best options is an ongoing process.
Wow sounds like we have pretty similar problems! I will keep trying different solutions for padding that go over the affected areas without going underneath my heel. I'm sure I could also benefit from seeing a podiatrist!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have been skating in Jackson 5300s for about 1.5 years. I went to a reputable fitter who took precise measurements and went with a rapid custom B width, did all the heat molding, etc. Prior to this I was in old Jackson Competitors that were way too big from a pro shop fitting. These ones feel just right....except for the heel!

As long as I've had my current boots I've had issues with heel slipping, resulting in lots of blisters on both heels and multiple haglunds bumps which I still have. To address this, my tech pinched in the ankle multiple times and added a heel lift, which were slight improvements. The only thing that finally made me comfortable was to wear ankle sleeve bunga pads pulled down over my heels and I have been doing this for a year now with no slipping and no pain at all (I tried the heel-specific bunga pads and they did not prevent the slipping).
You should not have accepted the 5300s in the first place if the heels were too loose. Your tech should have replaced them with a properly fitting pair. Or at least advised you whether a suitable semi-custom would be available for your feet.

Last edited:

AlySkates

Rinkside
You should not have accepted the 5300s in the first place if the heels were too loose. Your tech should have replaced them with a properly fitting pair. Or at least advised you whether a suitable semi-custom would be available for your feet.
Fair enough but I actually had no idea the heels were too loose 🤷‍♀️ I know that sounds stupid, but my only reference was beginner skates that were way too big and in comparison they felt great. When they were painful to skate in, I figured it was just the break in period

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You're honestly lucky you didn't injure yourself, way too stiff and I seriously question any fitter who considers themself a real pro with figure skates and then allows someone to just wear a 5300 for the hell of it, when it is way to stiff for them.

AlySkates

Rinkside
You're honestly lucky you didn't injure yourself, way too stiff and I seriously question any fitter who considers themself a real pro with figure skates and then allows someone to just wear a 5300 for the hell of it, when it is way to stiff for them.
Oh that's surprising to me! Maybe it's because I have no real frame of reference, but they've never felt too stiff and they broke in pretty quickly and easily - the only issue I ever had was with the heels. I know of at least one other adult at my rink (fitted by someone else) that also skates in 5300s and is only on singles but seems to do well with them.

I was fitted by the owners of SP Teri who are very respected in my area! I think I would honestly be hard pressed to find someone more reputable in the area haha

Aryel

Rinkside
My daughter has very narrow heels and all Jackson boots she wore created heel bumps. The last Jacskon boots she had were Premier. She switched to Riedell which she can order toe cup and heel in different width. Her bumps are gone now 😊

silverlily1

On the Ice
My daughter has very narrow heels and all Jackson boots she wore created heel bumps. The last Jacskon boots she had were Premier. She switched to Riedell which she can order toe cup and heel in different width. Her bumps are gone now 😊
I think we're talking about different things. Haglund's deformity is the abnormal growth of bone on the backs of the heels. Once there, it doesn't go away on its own, though it can be surgically removed.

Calluses form with rubbing and fade once the abrasion stops. Perhaps that's what happened?

Aryel

Rinkside
I think we're talking about different things. Haglund's deformity is the abnormal growth of bone on the backs of the heels. Once there, it doesn't go away on its own, though it can be surgically removed.

Calluses form with rubbing and fade once the abrasion stops. Perhaps that's what happened?
Hi! Yes, it must have been calluses then. It was caused by heels rubbing against inside of the boots. Wearing bunga pads didn’t solve my daughter’s issue, so we switched out from Jackson.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh that's surprising to me! Maybe it's because I have no real frame of reference, but they've never felt too stiff and they broke in pretty quickly and easily - the only issue I ever had was with the heels. I know of at least one other adult at my rink (fitted by someone else) that also skates in 5300s and is only on singles but seems to do well with them.

I was fitted by the owners of SP Teri who are very respected in my area! I think I would honestly be hard pressed to find someone more reputable in the area haha
What is your skating level and your height/weight? If you're not doing triples or triple triples and/or a higher weight, there is no need for a top level Jackson of that stiffness level.

AlySkates

Rinkside

Just popping back in to say thank you because this comment unexpectedly made a huge difference for me! I had previously tried to pull my ankle bunga pad down past my heel without actually going over the heel and gave up because it would roll back up when I put my foot in my boot. I tried again last night with renewed confidence and determination after reading this and it felt like all of my problems were magically fixed haha. I was the most comfortable I've ever been and all of my jumps and spins seemed to be better due to not having my heel lifted by the bunga pad. I also always get pain on the ball of my foot after about an hour and that was gone. I'm shocked that such a minor change could make this much of a difference!

Ultimately I still would like to find skates that are a perfect fit on their own, but that no longer feels urgent!

AlySkates

Rinkside
What is your skating level and your height/weight? If you're not doing triples or triple triples and/or a higher weight, there is no need for a top level Jackson of that stiffness level.
5'5" 115 lbs - landed axel, working on double sal, recently passed adult gold moves. I'm definitely not doubting you if they're rated for triples, but I really don't feel like I had the slightest issue with stiffness! I vaguely recall them identifying a specific reason that the 5300s would be well suited to me but honestly can't remember, I was just trusting the process lol

Elija

On the Ice
5'5" 115 lbs - landed axel, working on double sal, recently passed adult gold moves. I'm definitely not doubting you if they're rated for triples, but I really don't feel like I had the slightest issue with stiffness! I vaguely recall them identifying a specific reason that the 5300s would be well suited to me but honestly can't remember, I was just trusting the process lol
I swear 5300 is rated for learning doubles, not triples? That’s what all the websites selling them say, and Jackson rates them at 75 stiffness. So they should be perfect for your level, but obviously the fit is an issue. I have always been told Jackson isn’t great for narrow heals :/

silverlily1

On the Ice
I swear 5300 is rated for learning doubles, not triples? That’s what all the websites selling them say, and Jackson rates them at 75 stiffness. So they should be perfect for your level, but obviously the fit is an issue. I have always been told Jackson isn’t great for narrow heals :/
That's what I'm seeing, too, with regard to Jackson's rating and the stiffness level.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for finally stating your level and weight/height. That is helpful. Usually 75 and up is triples and is considered a stiff/strong boot. If you are doing double sals (which wasn't stated at first IIRC) then you should be fine. Just know that Jackson has changed their rating level and they have all 5000 level considered ok for doubles even though there's a 65 rated boot there that's mostly used by pros or dancers and isn't strong enough for higher jumps. So their rating system is very off lol.

That's what I'm seeing, too, with regard to Jackson's rating and the stiffness level.
See above answer to OP.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Best to be wary if you're dealing with an unfamiliar fitter. My longtime and very conscientious fitter was concerned when I insisted last year on buying the Risport RF1 boots with the 90 stiffness rating, at my age. But she had to drop in to our club anyway on someone else's behalf, and came to watch us practice. When she saw I was landing double throws with a good flight distance to them, and all the double jumps including the 2A and in combinations, she agreed that those landings plus my old shattered left ankle needing extra support meant I could handle a 90 stiffness after all. (I was afraid for awhile she was going to take my lovely boots away from me and insist on putting me in something softer, but my partner and I fortunately had a good day when she dropped in, when it counted :pray:. We felt transported back in time, as if we'd done a clean performance in competition when we needed to :party2::bsplit:!)

Lulujam

Spectator

Oh interesting. I was also fitted by these sp Teri folks, and into a boot with a fairly high stiffness (Jackson debuts) out of beginner Reidells bc of my height, weight and because I needed custom split soles (A lasts but B heels).
I’m having a very similar issue to you. An incredible amount of pain on the bottom of my heel and where my arch meets my heel. When I finish skating my heel is numb, tingling, and I feel like I’m on the verge of plantars fasciitis. My heel and arch area starts hurting within 15 mins.
It’s my slightly larger foot but weirdly that foot fits my boot better than my left which feels too big.
I’m not sure if it’s a fit issue or a boot issue. I’m also not sure what to do about the pain, which I did not have in my old skates. I also wonder, could it be the blade placement? My blade was shifted 2mm to the outside, and I wonder if it’s causing weird pressure on my heel and arch.
Did anything work for you @AlySkates and were you able to get the fitter’s help?

For reference I’m 5’7, 180lbs, beta level