Time for Emanuel Sandhu to Move On... | Golden Skate

Time for Emanuel Sandhu to Move On...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well Emanuel had his chance to prove himself at these Olympics and he didn't. He keeps blaming Skate Canada for not sending him to the 98 Nagano Olympics - where Elvis had his amazing skate and brought home the Silver.

I think Emanuel better make some decisions when he comes back home. He says he is gearing up for the Worlds, but at this point - does it matter?

As Kurt says "it's a shame such a talented skater just can't compete."

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
When I first read your post I thought, "NO!" because I still want to see his gorgeous skating, but maybe it'd be best if he went pro. He might settle in more, really release his creativity, and he wouldn't have to jump as much...

Too bad, though. Would love to see him really compete.

CDMM1991

Medalist
The pro circuit is where Sandhu belongs. He's absolutely dazzling to watch, when you're not worrying about him doing the jumps. Also he should be able to do some modelling on the side if he wishes while still skating on pro circuit.
You're right Lad, it's time for him to move on. Chris Mabee would represent us perfectly at Worlds.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
He's definitely a show skater........he's got a lot of talent. I can see him choreographing unique and inventive routines for himself and other skaters as well.......42

sk8addict

On the Ice
not ready

I 'm not ready for him to move on. i just want him to train like he wants it. Parttime skaters have a hard time being consistent.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well if he continues competing maybe he should consider changing to ice dance. I think he would be a terrific ice dancer. I think he is made for dancing - a real natural. If not that, then he should consider touring in a show - Stars on Ice for example.

Lynn226

On the Ice
sk8addict said:
I 'm not ready for him to move on. i just want him to train like he wants it. Parttime skaters have a hard time being consistent.

Well said!:agree:

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
I personally don't care one way or the other whether he stays competitive or goes pro,that is his decision to make.BUT i do think he has enormous potential and could totally kick butt on the competitive circuit if he put his mind to it.

Nothing wrong with suggesting what skaters should do, but I believe any decision making should come from the skater.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
The pro circuit is where Sandhu belongs. He's absolutely dazzling to watch, when you're not worrying about him doing the jumps. Also he should be able to do some modelling on the side if he wishes while still skating on pro circuit.
You're right Lad, it's time for him to move on. Chris Mabee would represent us perfectly at Worlds.

There is no pro circuit for Eman to retire to. And with Kurt and company not liking him, he might have a hard time getting work in shows b/c it's all nepotism. Eman should stay in the game. He still wins GP events like he did this year.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
soogar said:
There is no pro circuit for Eman to retire to.
Yeah, what happened to real pro competitions? I remember one year Yuka Sato beat Kristi Yamaguchi in the World Pro Championships and it was a big deal- I mean, no spotlights, really good programs, some triples... It was a real competition. And one year a pairs team, can't remember the name, did a fabulous routine to "1492" and won the pro championships. There's nothing left but show skating. I really don't want to see Eman skating a clown routine!!! Stay in, Emannuel!

Kasey

Medalist
The time for Emanuel to move on is whenever HE is darned well ready to....not when some fans are sick of him.

mike79

On the Ice
Personally I'd like to see Sandhu stick around. It's nice having a little rivalry going on in Canadian Men's skating, reminiscent of Kurt and Elvis. I don't think the other guys (Mabee, Sawyer, Chan, etc) are quite ready enough to step up to the plate and be some of the best in the world, although I hope that they can.

Linny

Final Flight
Huh?

Kurt and company don't like Eman? I must be outta the loop. My impression was that Kurt, Scott and anyone else who has ever weighed in on him finds him to be the most talented guy who hasn't broken through in competition.

Also, where did Sandra Bezik get the information that Eman doesn't train? Judging from the muscularity of his glutes (and it is entirely visible in his LP costume), he must be doing some kind of training. The man has shape!

Linny

peachy

Rinkside
I have no clue when I think he will retire, but my guess is that when he stops being competitive, he will probably go into modelling. I don't know if anyone else saw 'The Edge of Glory' on CBC last week, but it almost seems like he enjoys the modelling more... just my opinion though, this is just what my guess is.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
It's not fair tot he Chris Mabees of Canadian skating for him to stay in. We've got some great up-and-comers who need the experience to get ready for Vancouver and every competition Eman enters is one less for them. He's Josee Chouinard part 2-all the talent but just cannot put the mental with it. He'd make a nice show skater or choreographer.

ceg15

On the Ice
I think Emanuel would be good in pro skating... he is very talented...but just can't put it out there...and I think he needed that 13th place.... that was enough bashing about Jeff on his part... so glad that Jeff got 3rd.

sk8addict

On the Ice
no viewers

sk8fanconvert said:
Yeah, what happened to real pro competitions? I remember one year Yuka Sato beat Kristi Yamaguchi in the World Pro Championships and it was a big deal- I mean, no spotlights, really good programs, some triples... It was a real competition. And one year a pairs team, can't remember the name, did a fabulous routine to "1492" and won the pro championships. There's nothing left but show skating. I really don't want to see Eman skating a clown routine!!! Stay in, Emannuel!
I think what happened to the real pro championships was the "judges scandal" in SLC. The scandal turned the pedestrian skating viewer off & they in turned turned off figure skating. There are not enough of us true skating fans ( look at the crowds at nationals} to support skating tv ratings. We need the average viewers wanting to see figure skating. Maybe Kimmie will have Sasha hit in the knee. Why? Why? for the audience! Don't worry...I'm a true Sashist!

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Sk8n Mama said:
It's not fair tot he Chris Mabees of Canadian skating for him to stay in. We've got some great up-and-comers who need the experience to get ready for Vancouver and every competition Eman enters is one less for them. He's Josee Chouinard part 2-all the talent but just cannot put the mental with it. He'd make a nice show skater or choreographer.

This is the exact same argument people have used in regards to Kwan going pro. I'm sure there will be people using it with Plushenko soon. It's crap. If those "up and comers" want their chances, they need to earn them, like the old-timers have.