Ladies Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
I was sick last night so I was in and out paying attention... was Sarah Meier the one skating to the Down With Love soundtrack? in the pink dress with the flower?

anyway whoever skated to that music deserves a perfect 10 because I love that soundtrack and movie :clap: lol
That was Susanna Poykio in the pink dress skating to Down with Love. I liked her program and her dress, although I didn't like her hair. Elena Sokolova also wore a pink dress skating to Turandot. Sarah Meier was in yellow skating to the Finding Neverland soundtrack.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

76olympics

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Sasha's program last night. She injected a lot of personality into it and she seemed more relaxed than she does normally. Here is hoping she can hold steady through the long. I think she needs to avoid the media at all costs until the curtain falls on this one.

Irina's program was Irina-like. I have always liked Irina's personality since the beginning-but I am just meh about her skating . She is the male Plushenko as far as skating goes for me (not that that would be a bad thing in many peoples' eyes!). As I said, as a person, I find her to be engaging and natural. I didn't even mind the 2002 hissy fit as it was a very human reaction to disappointment. I wouldn't be downcast if she won (actually I expect it)---but I would love to see either Sasha or Fumie win.

BTW-Scott seemed much calmer in the presence of the Button. I enjoyed his commentating more than usual; less frenetic. I enjoyed Dick except for his somewhat snarky remarks about Elena Liashenko. I thought her program was fine. Dick needs to consider that she might be the best her Federation has to send right now. Good on her for getting out there at the "decrepit" age of 29! (I feel like Methusalah now!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott has been very calm... almost like his time with CBS and Verne Lundquist...

but I hate that we have to have 4 voices... I say ditch Sandra and Tom and just have Dick and Scott (never thought I'd want Dick's commentary, but I like him on NBC far more than I enjoy him on ABC)

OFF-TOPIC: Sorry, didn't know where else to put this. THANK GOODNESS there's no figure skating on TV tonight. I need to get to bed early,:yes:

Rgirl

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Belated thoughts on the Top Ladies

Sasha Cohen: We finally get to see Dark Eyes skated full-out. In the past I thought this program would rock if she was "on" and it did. 2axel was a bit squeaky. Great choreography which showcased her dance ability. Sasha's spiral sequence positions could be immortalized in sculpture.

Irina Slutskaya: I thought Irina's program was an excellent vehicle for her and did a fine job of showcasing her strengths. Jumps were better than Cohen's, spins were comparable, spiral sequence was wobbly and nowhere close to Sasha's. The program was basically transitionless, but with Slute it's all about speed and power, not complex choreography. In spite of the vaunted display of horsepower, however, something about the program felt cautious.

Shizuka Arakawa: A strong skate by Shizuka. She doesn't "sell" her program as well as Sasha or Irina and her spins, while good, are not quite on the same level. But in many ways she is the combination of both of their best qualities. Elegant, but with undeniable power. Her edge control is godly. The change-of-edge spiral in the Y position was so unbelievable I thought she was being help up by invisible wires.

Fumie Suguri: Choreographically I thought she was the only lady who matched Sasha. Strong jumps, wonderful MITF and great ice coverage, not so great spin positions. She has a wonderful sense of music and timing and really gets into her performance, whereas Shizuka seems a bit distant. Like Sasha, Fumie strikes me as a dancer first, skater second. Whereas I would say Irina and Shizuka are skaters first.

Last edited: