Looks like Plushenko had a change of mind.. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Looks like Plushenko had a change of mind..

mzheng

Record Breaker
ceg15 said:
Geesh. I hope to god he retires. Other skaters need their chance too...
This is just tackle. How do you think about Jeff? Shall he retire too? To give other canadian kids chance.

Once he retires, I'm afraid we are not going to see back to back "non falling" programs in amature ranks. No matter how they are choreogaphly simple, or his skates neve cup of my tea. But it is always nice to see a clean skated program among the splatfest.

Now as much as I like Jeff's choreo or skates, even with simple choregraphy I don't remember I had seen him skated back to back clean programs.

Now back to the topic. I think a lot of medalists had announced they are going to continue right after the medaling in the heat of things. They don't know for sure what will come to their way yet. But after talking to their agents seeing what potential things lined up for them if "stay amature" or "go pro"; debate to themselves for a while if they are seeing the good money in 'pro' and/or good fame in other things, they may very well change their minds (not that it was really their mind before, but they just saying it out keep option open)......I'm expecting more of these "change mind" coming.

Good for him if he felt turnning pro could make more money and start him new career.

Thanks for the translation.

Last edited by a moderator:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Mzhang, ITA with your post to ceg15. Perhaps others should train harder and put together clean programs and then they can bypass him, in a real competition. Figure skating is a sport, not a charity.

Anyways, back to Plushenko. Last night I read another interview with Mishin (have the link at home) and he again stressed Evgeny's indecisiveness on the subject. Mishin said that Plushenko will retain his eligibility by not taking part in non-ISU sanctioned events. So that possibly means that Evgeny will not skate in Calgary and may just turn up for EC and WC. Just my interpretation.

shdotz

On the Ice
Fees paid for COA and or SOI

Mathman said:
I think that $20,000,000 number that is thrown around is the estimate that a U.S. lady belle of the ball, like Dorothy Hamill or Kristi Yamaguchi, might be able to make from all commercial sources. The main thing is landing big corporate sponsorship deals.

I don't know what opportunities Evgeni will have in Russia along these lines.

If General Mills were cool they'd put him on the Wheaties box.

Probably, though, in the U.S. his medal will give him a bigger paycheck from COI or SOI than he otherwise could command. (Maybe not as much as Steven Cousins, but still...)

Mathman :)

Just curious: what kind of fees do COI and/or SOI pay per skate night?

Anyone know?

These figure skaters live in big houses and seem to have money, so the pay must be worth the skate.

shdotz

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
shdotz said:

Just curious: what kind of fees do COI and/or SOI pay per skate night?

Anyone know?

These figure skaters live in big houses and seem to have money, so the pay must be worth the skate.

shdotz

I read somewhere that Tara got 25K per night she appeared from SOI, and that Kwan -- who is the highest paid skater on COI gets something like 10K per show from them, but since I don't recall the source, I don't know if these numbers are either current or correct.

I believe the interest in exhibition skating in the US is for Lady skaters. That would include fans and casual fans. I doubt Evgeni would bring in more crowds than the ardent fans of figure skating. However, I see him listed as the number 2 attraction to Sasha's 1st in the US.

Joe