Petrova and Tichonov going to pro | Golden Skate

Petrova and Tichonov going to pro

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
CBC interview with Brian Williams after the free skate. There may have been a language issue, although Tikhonov's English is quite fine, in that Tikhonov may have interpreted the question to mean whether they'll continue to compete in eligible skating rather than in non-ISU sanctioned competitions.

He said that Petrova needs surgery after which they expect to do shows and coach. He also said he hoped to be in Vancouver as a coach. If Pet/Tik join the Velikovs as coaches, I think we will see them next to the boards.

On the one hand, in the short-term Russia needs them for placements, but he's 34 years old. They said in the interview that they put almost all of the big elements up front, because of age and stamina. She's had knee problems for years. They've stayed in several extra years to help the Russian team. It's time they were given an opportunity to settle down, get healthly, start to coach, and to transfer their knowledge and skill to younger teams.

It's the beginning of the Olympic cycle next year. Russia has three spots for 2007. They have three or four teams in the waiting. There's little chance of Russia having fewer than two pairs after that, and if Pet/Tik earn three and take up one of those spots, its the same as O/S and another pair earning two, as far as future development is concerned. In my opinion, it's time for Russia to start to develop those teams during the lead-up to Vancouver, and I think having Pet/Tik as coaches is a great start for doing this.

Last edited:

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Yes, they also said something about it during the fluff piece about them didn't they? Anyways, yes, they said that this is there last competition. I don't think there was a language issue, Tiks English is quite well and I've heard them say that before too that this is their last.

heyang

Record Breaker
If they do pro shows, I hope to see them develop more of a persona on ice. They were very technical skaters, but I was never entranced by their skating.

lulu

Final Flight
They have gotten a lot of favorable reviews for their exhibitions. Of course, I know not everyone has to like their exhibitions.
But I think they could actually be pretty good show skaters. Alexei has had tons of experience with show skating, since working with Tatiana Tarasova's All Star Theater.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Teresa Dawn said:
I don't think there was a language issue, Tiks English is quite well and I've heard them say that before too that this is their last.
What I meant by a potential language issue is that by "professional" I don't know if he simply mean they'd skate in shows or that they'd be giving up eligible status -- i.e., turning professional -- and skate in non-sanctioned events.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
ah okay! Thanks. Sorry about that. Well, I think they are going to skate professional for a bit and then go to coaching, but I wasn't sure about this 100% either.

Vash01

Medalist
heyang said:
If they do pro shows, I hope to see them develop more of a persona on ice. They were very technical skaters, but I was never entranced by their skating.

They (Petrova-Tikhonov) actually do have a presence on the ice, and the fans in Calagary really appreciated them. They were very charming in their skating and otherwise. Their exhibition was very well skated, and well received in Ca;gary.. Fans need to see what pairs skating really is. I hope they can skate as pros after Maris's surgery.

Vash