Tidbit on Cohen from People Magazine website | Golden Skate

Tidbit on Cohen from People Magazine website

R.D.

Record Breaker
here. it says she's going on a trip this summer. But the main thing that jumped out at me is the end...she claims she loves competing and doesn't intend to go pro any time soon. I don't know if I should believe that or not.

I'll post the link to the article but the entire section re. Cohen is quoted below.

http://people.aol.com/people/articles/0,19736,1182472,00.html

Sasha Heats Things Up
Ice queen Sasha Cohen will be heading to the tropics this summer for a warm vacation away from the rink. "I won a trip to Bora Bora when I went to one of the Oscar gift suites. I'm so excited. I'm like, 'A free trip to Bora Bora? Okay, I'll take it!' " she says. "I'm gonna go with my mom and my sister – sort of a girls' week." Last year, the Olympic silver medalist traveled to Tahiti for a getaway. "I'm cold all the time so I need the warm weather to enjoy what I can."

It'll be a much-needed break for the skater, who works out seven to eight hours a day and will be touring until August. "It's been busy, busy, busy," she told us at the recent Skating with the Stars Under the Stars event in New York City, which benefited the nonprofit Figure Skating in Harlem program for girls. "I love competing so I don't see going pro anytime soon."

flying camel

Medalist
It does not seem that anyone is going pro anymore. There is no more pro skating. Most just stay amateur or join an ice show. Maybe Dick should bring back his Wold Professional skating championship or something along those lines to entice skaters.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I have a hard time believing that Sasha loves competing. I think she loves skating, but there's a big difference between that and loving competing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
I have a hard time believing that Sasha loves competing. I think she loves skating, but there's a big difference between that and loving competing.

Exactly. ITA. But at the same time, she says competing, not skating, so interesting word choice there.

Maybe it's just something you do for so long it becomes part of you. You don't necessarily love it (or every minute of it), but something may feel empty if you don't do it for a while.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I think when she said " I love competing", she mean " I love skating". Acturally Sasha loved competing when she was younger. You could tell she loved competing when she was at Salt Lake City, and the years before 2002. She also showed love-competing when she just switched to a new coach.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I too find it hard to believe Sasha loves competing. She never looks as if she is happy on the ice.

Alsace

On the Ice
Perfect performances make happy skaters. To me, Sasha looked happy after the short program at the Olympics.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Alsace said:
Perfect performances make happy skaters. To me, Sasha looked happy after the short program at the Olympics.

Ah, but then there is that depressing LONG program required to complete the competition:chorus:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Since there isn't much of a pro circuit, I don't blame Sasha, who has expressed disappoinment in low interest at skating events, for wanting to join! I think Sasha WANTS to compete and wants to love competing because she wants to win and be the best ever. But her nerves and focus issues get the best of her. There's no doubt in my mind that Sasha loves to skate, loves to perform in front of an adoring crowd and show off what she can do with her foot in her ear. Sometimes, our minds gets the last word!

I think when/if Sasha commits to doing the GPS, then we'll have our answer if she's serious about staying in. She may just retain her eligibilty so the possibity is always there, and take some time off while pursuing other options. There's no requirement that once a skater decides not to skate in eligible competition that they HAVE to turn pro and join SOI, so it might be a matter of interpreting what Sasha says as how you wish to interpret it.