SP-Teri - Jumping the gun on new boots? | Golden Skate

SP-Teri - Jumping the gun on new boots?

orodriguez13

Spectator
Hello! Here I am yet again unfortunately T_T. So back in 2019 I got SP-Teri dance boots to replace my older broken Risports. When they were fitted, Aaron told me they should be good through single jumps. I heard that SP-Teri dance boots aren't all that different from how their freestyle boots are built so I didn't think it was a big deal. At the time I was just starting on waltz jumps so I wasn't overly concerned with the stiffness. I just wanted boots that wouldn't destroy my feet or worsen my bunions. This was in December 2019, then covid happened and I couldn't even skate until last May. I moved cities and found a new rink. I live in Los Angeles and practice Monday through Friday for about an hour and have a coach I see once a week. I've practiced consistently since September and have learned the salchow, toe loop, and now loop.
Now to my problem, this past week I've stayed off the ice since I've had sudden tendon pain occur in my left ankle. Kinda above where the joint is and slightly to the outside, but not past the ankle bone. I wasn't sure if this was tendonitis or a sprain but after speaking with another experienced skater this sounds and feels like tendonitis.
I thought that this might have happened due to practicing the waltz too much (making it higher and faster) but also pushing hard on the inside edge rather than jumping on the outside/pick. I have also felt like these past few months the boots have been quite soft. I'm not sure how soft these boots are supposed to be and what is considered normal since my last pair was too big and totally broken down before I changed them. My coach suggested changing the laces and that did help for a while but its only been 1 month since then and now its feels like nothings changed? I though I was being dramatic but I find myself tightening them every so often or the opposite, I've tightened them too much and my arches cramp so badly I need to get off the ice. When I tighten them perfectly they feel great with edges but I'm always more timid with the jumps :/
After talking with that other skater, she (and I) think I should probably start looking at new boots. I figured I should look into Risport again like the RF3 pro or Royal Pro, favoring the RF3 Pro for the flex notch. I don't really like the idea of a raised heel with Edea or a loose ankle. I have egyptian/sloped feet that are normal/wide feet with a normalish arch I think. I'm also 5'7" and 130lbs.
Am I thinking about new boots too early? I feel like I've barely gotten a year out of these Sp-Teri's and I thought they're supposed to last longer, but maybe because its a dance boot its different? Do I need a different insole or will that even matter if its too soft? Anyone with experience jumping in these boots, I'm begging for advice lol. Also if anyone has recommendations for a fitter please let me know T_T I was recommended a insole person down in Irvine as well if thats the issue. Am I going crazy or am I just picky with sensitive feet, it's really hard to skate well when I'm not comfortable.

Adding: I've tried superfeet yellow comfort but I found that the arch was in a weird place and worsened cramping :(

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! Here I am yet again unfortunately T_T. So back in 2019 I got SP-Teri dance boots to replace my older broken Risports. When they were fitted, Aaron told me they should be good through single jumps. I heard that SP-Teri dance boots aren't all that different from how their freestyle boots are built so I didn't think it was a big deal. At the time I was just starting on waltz jumps so I wasn't overly concerned with the stiffness. I just wanted boots that wouldn't destroy my feet or worsen my bunions. This was in December 2019, then covid happened and I couldn't even skate until last May. I moved cities and found a new rink. I go to TSPC in Los Angeles Monday through Friday for about an hour and have a coach I see once a week. I've practiced consistently since September and have learned the salchow, toe loop, and now loop.
Now to my problem, this past week I've stayed off the ice since I've had sudden tendon pain occur in my left ankle. Kinda above where the joint is and slightly to the outside, but not past the ankle bone. I wasn't sure if this was tendonitis or a sprain but after speaking with another experienced skater this sounds and feels like tendonitis.
I thought that this might have happened due to practicing the waltz too much (making it higher and faster) but also pushing hard on the inside edge rather than jumping on the outside/pick. I have also felt like these past few months the boots have been quite soft. I'm not sure how soft these boots are supposed to be and what is considered normal since my last pair was too big and totally broken down before I changed them. My coach suggested changing the laces and that did help for a while but its only been 1 month since then and now its feels like nothings changed? I though I was being dramatic but I find myself tightening them every so often or the opposite, I've tightened them too much and my arches cramp so badly I need to get off the ice. When I tighten them perfectly they feel great with edges but I'm always more timid with the jumps :/
After talking with that other skater, she (and I) think I should probably start looking at new boots. I figured I should look into Risport again like the RF3 pro or Royal Pro, favoring the RF3 Pro for the flex notch. I don't really like the idea of a raised heel with Edea or a loose ankle. I have egyptian/sloped feet that are normal/wide feet with a normalish arch I think. I'm also 5'7" and 130lbs.
Am I thinking about new boots too early? I feel like I've barely gotten a year out of these Sp-Teri's and I thought they're supposed to last longer, but maybe because its a dance boot its different? Do I need a different insole or will that even matter if its too soft? Anyone with experience jumping in these boots, I'm begging for advice lol. Also if anyone has recommendations for a fitter please let me know T_T I was recommended a insole person down in Irvine as well if thats the issue. Am I going crazy or am I just picky with sensitive feet, it's really hard to skate well when I'm not comfortable.

Adding: I've tried superfeet yellow comfort but I found that the arch was in a weird place and worsened cramping :(
I'll send you a DM.

orodriguez13

Spectator
Posting again to follow up! I went to a fitter closer to me that my coach recommended first. He initially told me Jackson Debuts or Elles would be good but I shot him down fast because I really doubt those boots are going to last me longer than half a year to a year. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these boots kinda too low of a level for my weight and level? I trust my coach's judgement but he mainly coaches kids so maybe he thought the fitter would be fine. Anyway, I tend to have a deep knee and ankle bend when I really push jumps or crossovers. I really want the new boots to get me through an axel and into doubles.
I tried the Jackson premier fusion although they only had the wide width available to try on. It was way too wide and my heels easily slipped but if that is the stiffness im supposed to be skating in then the boots I currently have are 100% done . I was able to bend my knees enough although they were also too comfortable in a way? Maybe its the trauma of having weird boots but I feel like unless they are built like rocks, I'm going to break them.
I insisted on trying the RF3 or Royal Pro. Unfortunately they only had a Royal pro in my size (C width). OMG the padding was pure luxury! There was only one issue, my pinky toe was painfully squished in one boot. Both feet were tight on the balls of my feet, is that normal? I know pain isn't normal but I know they can be punched out a bit. Possibly dumb question, but do ppl have good experiences punching out these spots? Does it compromise where my foot sits inside the boot? Or should I keep looking for other skates?
I also REALLY liked how supported my arch felt in the Royal Pros, they were hard as hell but not so much that it was impossible to bend. It def took some effort tho. Is that normal? Clearly I've gone way too long between boots to forget this stuff.
The fitter let me try on Jacksons that were a normal width, just half a size smaller then my size and while I could tie them up, my toes were just touching the end of the boot and it felt like I had little to no arch support. My heels were locked but idk if the arch issue is gonna remain the same in Jacksons that are my width and length. The fitter is going to call one of rinks south of LA that Ice3Rabbit suggested to see if they have the boots I was interest in, in the width and length I need them in. He mentioned my rink swaps stock sometimes. I tried to get an appointment with the other rink's fitter but my email wasn't answer and the calls weren't picked up :(

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Posting again to follow up! I went to a fitter closer to me that my coach recommended first. He initially told me Jackson Debuts or Elles would be good but I shot him down fast because I really doubt those boots are going to last me longer than half a year to a year. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these boots kinda too low of a level for my weight and level? I trust my coach's judgement but he mainly coaches kids so maybe he thought the fitter would be fine. Anyway, I tend to have a deep knee and ankle bend when I really push jumps or crossovers. I really want the new boots to get me through an axel and into doubles.
I tried the Jackson premier fusion although they only had the wide width available to try on. It was way too wide and my heels easily slipped but if that is the stiffness im supposed to be skating in then the boots I currently have are 100% done . I was able to bend my knees enough although they were also too comfortable in a way? Maybe its the trauma of having weird boots but I feel like unless they are built like rocks, I'm going to break them.
I insisted on trying the RF3 or Royal Pro. Unfortunately they only had a Royal pro in my size (C width). OMG the padding was pure luxury! There was only one issue, my pinky toe was painfully squished in one boot. Both feet were tight on the balls of my feet, is that normal? I know pain isn't normal but I know they can be punched out a bit. Possibly dumb question, but do ppl have good experiences punching out these spots? Does it compromise where my foot sits inside the boot? Or should I keep looking for other skates?
I also REALLY liked how supported my arch felt in the Royal Pros, they were hard as hell but not so much that it was impossible to bend. It def took some effort tho. Is that normal? Clearly I've gone way too long between boots to forget this stuff.
The fitter let me try on Jacksons that were a normal width, just half a size smaller then my size and while I could tie them up, my toes were just touching the end of the boot and it felt like I had little to no arch support. My heels were locked but idk if the arch issue is gonna remain the same in Jacksons that are my width and length. The fitter is going to call one of rinks south of LA that Ice3Rabbit suggested to see if they have the boots I was interest in, in the width and length I need them in. He mentioned my rink swaps stock sometimes. I tried to get an appointment with the other rink's fitter but my email wasn't answer and the calls weren't picked up :(
Hi again. yes, They should be able to heat mold the Royal Pros for you to help with the issues in the toes and ball, although if the toes were too squished you may need another width of the boot. They come in different width. And depending on how your foot is, you may need split width b/c many people have more narrow heels than toe box and/or ball of foot.

Good luck!