Jamie Silverstein | Golden Skate

Jamie Silverstein

Vash01

Medalist
Since this is off season, and i got tired of watching this year's tapes, I decided to watch some old ones. I started watching the 2000 US nationals tape and was surprised to find that Jamie Silverstein and Justin Pekerak had skated to 'Sentimental waltz' by Eugene Doga. I love this music. Sasha Cohen used it for her SP in 2002. Jamie and Justin looked so good! She was just 15 and it was amazing to see the kind of talent she had at such a young age. I saw her at the US nationals this year, with Ryan O'meara. They made the Olympic team and had a pretty respectable skate, IMO for their first Olympics. I am just a bit concerned because they did not go to worlds.

Can Jamie realize her potential skating with Ryan? He looks quite good but IMO she looked better with Pekerak. Of course they are not going to get back together since Justin has retired from FS. Can Jamie and Ryan become a championship caliber ice dance team, at least at the USN level? It means can they develop enough to be able to challenge Belbin & Agosto in -say 3 years?

Vash

I, too, think it is a bad omen that they didn't go to Worlds for "personal reasons."

I have a feeling that Jamie will not continue in competitive ice dancing. As a teenager she was absolutely my favorite because of her over-the-top enthusiasm and dramatic flair.

But in retrospect, it was too over the top and too dramatic. She crashed big time, worked hard to overcome eating disorders and related life difficulties (which she blamed in part on skating), and went off to Cornell.

I had the feeling that this comeback was in part a victory celebration for getting her life straightened out. I don't know whether she really has the drive and desire to continue actively as a full time performer/athlete. This seasion may satisfy her.

Mathman :)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Honestly, I just don't see her pulling it all together again and achieving international success, or even winning a National Championship, no matter who her partner is. Like Mathman said, withdrawing from worlds for "personal" undisclosed reasons is just a bad omen. Also, remember at the Olympics during that one interview where she said it was all so overwhelming, and she was practically in tears. And, she and Ryan just totally fell apart at 4CC. I just don't think she's all that stable, this year really seemed just like "All I want to do is go to the Olympics and then I'm through." Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she'll get a grip and pull herself together and shock the world, but I'm not expecting it. I guess that's what makes skating so great, though; you never know who is going to pull off a major upset, and you don't know when its going to be. There's always someone who is going to surprise you!

anyone know anything further on Jamie and Ryan? I'd hate to see them break up. They did remarkably well for a first season together. Including a decent latin number.

Joe

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I did hear that her coach called Justin when she first came back and asked if he wanted to go back to competing, and he passed on it. So definitely no chance of their reteaming. I have to wonder--you don't really cure EDs, you just manage them, and she went to a coach whose girls are known for being under a LOT of pressure to lose weight and keep it off or else. Maybe she's having second thoughts about staying in again.

Whatever happens, I hope she decides to do what's best for her. She looked like she was having a great time at Nationals.

IDLERACER

Medalist
non sequiter: "Silverstein & O'Meara" sounds like the name of a vaudvillian comic and straight man act. :biggrin: "Say Goodnight, Jamie."

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I loved Jamie back when she was skating with Justin Pekarek. I was thrilled to see her back this year. However, I don't know if Ryan O'Meara is the best partner for her. I felt like they didn't have much chemistry as a team this year. And physically, they don't seem that well matched. Ryan is a bit short and small; I think Jamie would look better with a taller partner, someone like Patrice Lauzon or Maurizio Margaglio.

I hope she stays in skating, because I like watching her. But realistically, the skating world is a tough place for someone trying to overcome an eating disorder. In terms of her long-term health and happiness, it might be better for her to go back to Cornell--that is, unless she can find a great skating partner. I think for Jamie, it's probably only worth continuing skating if she has a legitimate shot to become World or Olympic Champion, which I don't see happening with O'Meara.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jamie and Ryan

I also wondered about their choice of coach - same as Tanith and Ben I think - who wants the ladies very thin. Jamie isn't overweight even for a skater IMO, but she has a little fullness and I could see pressure being applied to have her take off a few pounds. Not a good situation for someone with an eating disorder. I was also shocked by 4 Continents. Hope we see more of this team because I really enjoyed them at Nationals. American Ice Dance is looking up :rock: .

Maureen

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Heh, MFarone--the most repeatable thing I've heard in that regard is, and I quote, "Oh, you'd never want to skate with Igor. All his girls are anorexic." The other stuff is more graphic and less pleasant, but frankly pretty believable. After having heard that, then seeing that Jamie was skating with him, I had a definite "Bwha?" moment. She's obviously fine in terms of weight for health, but she isn't a stick and you can't count her ribs from behind the way you can with Tanith.

While I'm sure they know there's no chance of moving up so long as B/A are competing, maybe it's the depth that's getting to them--they know that unlike the old days there are lots of teams coming up behind them, aiming for the #2 and #3 spots. Nowdays in US dance if you want to stay at the top you're really going to have to fight for it, and that takes seroius motivation.

76olympics

On the Ice
Jamie was a little too animated for my taste- a la Anjelika Krylova, but I did admire her energy and obvious enjoyment. I would rather she stayed healthy than risk any recurrence of the ED. I agree with all of you; the coach doesn't seem like a wise choice for her (or anybody, in my opinion). Those skewed body image ideas will linger long after the competitive career is done. I hate for any woman to have to deal with the aftereffects. Ice dance is not worth emotional and physical health.

Vash01

Medalist
I felt that Ryan was a bit small for her. If he builds some muscle and she loses a few pounds (that could be dangerous, given her history!) they may look better matched physically. Jamie and Justin looked like a very well matched dance team. We may find out by the middle of the season which way this team is headed. It will be a pity if her talent is wasted.

Vash

Vash, I hope Jamie doesn't take your suggestion to heart, that she has to "lose a few pounds" to be successful as a skater. That's the very thing that aborted her career four years ago and sent her to the hospital.

MM

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I agree--the last thing Jamie should do now is lose weight to match up better with her current partner. That would be a very slippery slope. Because she has an eating disorder, trying to lose 5 pounds could quickly turn into losing 15 or 20 pounds and becoming unhealthy. The better thing to do is for Jamie to find a partner who matches *her* better physically (not the way other way around). And also, perhaps someone who's more expressive and dramatic, like her, so that it's a better match artistically, as well as physically. I just think there must be a better partner out there for Jamie. And, if Shpilband is putting the pressure on for her to lose weight, a better coach as well!

i take issue with the put downs of Ryan. He is a brilliant technician and I think that was the reason for matching him with Jamie who is more of a 'show' skater.

In reality I don't think either one is in a position to get another partner.

I am not aware of any reason why they did not skate Worlds. I think we should wait for that news rather than speculate about Jamie's weight.

Zavosin who took their place in the worlds, had the dumbest look on his face throughout the competition, and the distance between him and his partner while dancing was quite obvious even to a layman. They had a bad day but I wouldn't suggest that Mathews gets another partner. They too, have not been together all that long.

Why is it that skating fans want instant winners without waiting for the development stages?

Joe

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Zavosin who took their place in the worlds, had the dumbest look on his face throughout the competition, and the distance between him and his partner while dancing was quite obvious even to a layman. They had a bad day but I wouldn't suggest that Mathews gets another partner. They too, have not been together all that long.

Why is it that skating fans want instant winners without waiting for the development stages?

Joe

Matthews and Zavozin have been skating together for five years, that's not overnight.

Why is it skating fans always want to play mix and match with teams that enjoy working together? Not every team is a perfect match, but those that succeed often have a distinct common bond. Many people -- including commentators -- said Tracy Wilson and Robert McCall were not a well matched team. They won Olympic and World medals. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wouldn't discount M&Z as competitors!

Max and Morgan have been skating together 4 years, but this is their first year in seniors, Max is only 21, Morgan only 18. Last year they won Jr. Worlds in a hotly contested competition with Virtue and Moir of Canada, whom many Canadian fans are already touting for strong competitors to B&A in 2010. They beat V&M again at 4CC's this year to medal in their first major international senior level competition. They also did well on the GP circuit. They did not expect to be skating at World's, and it is not surprising that they did not skate their very best.

Max's strong ballroom dance background is a huge plus for this team in CD's and OD's, and they already have the ability to correctly portray the character of a dance better (and have better timing) than many more skilled pairs who are many years their senior.

However, Max did not start skating competitively until he was 13 or so, so it is to be expected that they will need to improve their technical skills.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Normally, I think partners should stay together and develop as a team, rather than changing partners often. But I just think that Jamie's case is a little bit different and unique, for several reasons, and therefore for her, it's extra important to get the right partner if she's going to keep skating at all. I like Ryan and definitely respect him as an ice dancer, and I'm sure he has a great future in skating. I just am not sure he's the best partner for Jamie. (Or her for him--it goes both ways.) I didn't mean to diss Ryan, though.

eyria - You seem to be very concerned about Jamie.

Will yet another new partner work for her since we don't know what the reason for not going to the Worlds was all about.

Will Magerovsky(sp) and Zavosin drop their present partners to skate with her?
not to mention Bommentre and Mitchel who are also doing quite well with their partners. I don't see any changes for these four.

You may be thinking that if a Russian male wants to come to the US to skate dance, Jamie might be able to nail him. Maybe, and it would mean yet another year of a new team working together for the first time.

Before any shuffling of the present teams take place, I believe we must find out about Jamie's not going to Worlds. If it is the unthinkable reason then I don't think any partner would want to take that risk.

If it's not the unthinkable then it means another year for a new team to break themselves in for competitions with four very good teams already in existence.

Any new you get, erya, would be appreciated.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
I disagree that Jamie needs a more expressive partner. Teams have been successful with one partner being more expressive than the other (case in point: Gordeeva-Grinkov). Ryan is a good skater. I agree with Joe that we should allow more time for new teams to develop.

I would still like to see Ryan grow more muscle. It could help them with more difficult lifts.

Vash

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
O'Meara is very expressive in the standard ballroom dances, like quicksteps and waltzes. He's less animated in Latin, but he's a solid and attentive partner for a showman like Silverstein, and he's got terrific blades.