Do the prettiest skaters always win? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Do the prettiest skaters always win?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
.... But, I think people's behavior and character often improves their appearance (especially in their eyes) -- not that all who are gorgeous are also good, but instead, all who are good are better looking than they otherwise would be.

My grandmother's favorite saying "Pretty is as pretty does".

Piel said:
Joe, earlier in this thread I prefaced a post that I was a straight woman. We are discussing a very subjective thing...beauty. Posters have mentioned skaters appealing to them as being "hot". It is well documented that men and women have different ideas of beauty. Are those differences because of sexual attraction or other reasons? If it is because of sexual attraction then sexual orientation might also influence what one thinks is attractive.
I'm not so sure men and women differ in what they see as beauty. They may differ on the use of a superlative but they will acknowledge beauty in humans as well as in scenery. Women and men who are of a different sexual orientation will also fall in line with the same concept of what is beauty. If you want to go further and compare specific people (and not just scenery) then it does become subjective. Selections of the 'better' beauty of two people (even scenary), will depend more on where and how they were brought up and not depend on sexual orientation unless you believe that ALL gay men would pick Judy Garland over Tanith Belbin.

As for 'hot', that's totally in the mind of the beholder regardless of everything that would influence it. It's innate. In many cases it has to be controlled.

Joe

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I think the orientation of the viewer IS important. It's coloring how you're preceiving what you're viewing. I am not looking at other females as potential mates. Whereas with males, there's always some part of the 'rodent-brain' section that's eyeing them as potential partners. It's not a DEFINING factor--there are obviously other influences on what a person percieves as beautiful or pretty--but the reason you are looking colors your perception of what is beautiful. About the only place where everyone would generally agree is that symmetrical features are more pleasing than asymmetrical features. That's apparently hardwired into the brain.

Example--to me, Tanith's features (and Sasha Cohen's, come to that) aren't particularly appealing. I can see why people think she's "hot", but to me she simply isn't beautiful. In Sasha's case, I could (but won't unless someone asks) pinpoint exactly what bothers me about her face and why I consider her not even all that pretty, except when she lets her hair down which helps fix the problem. With TT/MM, my issue is indeed he's got rather unfinished, rough features, and in her case she's just not particularly notable.

Your Para One:

I know a lot of straight guys who appreciate the beauty in the works of all great artists. Gay men too. that was my point.

Your Para Two:

Exactly what I said when comparing two people.

Joe

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't know of any female skaters who I would consider to be downright homely, although there have been a few with odd features. Midori Ito had those enormous ears and Amber Corwin's eyes are so close together that from a distance it almost looks like they are touching.

As for the prettiest skater always winning...definitely not. Elena Sokolova has never placed higher than a Silver medal.

Tinika

Rinkside
IDLERACER said:
I don't know of any female skaters who I would consider to be downright homely, although there have been a few with odd features. B]

Harding?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
OK, what happens when the "prettiest" skater, the "cutest" skater, and the "hottest skater" all skate well, with good, CoP friendly programs and elements?

attyfan said:
OK, what happens when the "prettiest" skater, the "cutest" skater, and the "hottest skater" all skate well, with good, CoP friendly programs and elements?
Now that's a test!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:

Hopefully it will be about who actually skated the best (since the point system makes it more difficult for ties to happen) and it wouldn't become a beauty pageant.

password

On the Ice
OMG...this thread is so damn catty. Ya know what skin is...epithelium derived from the ectoderm during embryonic development.

How about everyone here put up a pic and will dissect every little thing unpleasent about them? Sound like Fun! not.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
password said:
OMG...this thread is so damn catty. Ya know what skin is...epithelium derived from the ectoderm during embryonic development.

How about everyone here put up a pic and will dissect every little thing unpleasent about them? Sound like Fun! not.

I will, Have fun. And I'll pick a bad one to make it easy.
me om vedawoo rock.jpg

At least the people who are getting this only "partially negitive" attention are talented athletes, they have that going for them - and the point IMO. IeveryonesO.
One thing I will say is that no one did ask for what was "ugly" about anyone, but this is a forum and a voice such as yours is just as likely to be heard as someone elses.

password

On the Ice
password said:

...Hence the reason for the "not" at the end of this sentence.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've seen those. But in my humble opinion, MK is far from the prettiest skater...

(waits for the army)

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't have any pictures of myself, but I did manage to find a picture on the web that sort of looks like me. Click HERE