The Beautiful people on skates | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The Beautiful people on skates

ioanna

Record Breaker
I saw this video on sports.ru and thought of this thread. It's not a Russian skater, but a Russian fan paying tribute to Tatsuki Machida's skating. They used one of his EX programs and put ambient music in the background. Somehow it made me appreciate the beauty of his movements from a different perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYOZi4Oudx0

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Thank you for the compliment to Daniel.

They will be in the audience cheering on the pair teams that will be competing this weekend.

edenlover

On the Ice
Just a general comment, and I think I said it in other threads in previous years; I know we are talking figure skating but I saw this in football and in golf this year as well.

THe tv cameras do distort--if you can all it that--the way an athlete looks...Rachel, Ashley, Michelle, Dorothy, Jeremy, Johnny Weir, Evan, Todd, Brian B, and the list goes on...are all tiny! I saw them in person several times, and was very close to many as I took their pictures or checked their program sheets at nationals in Cleveland. Michelle Kwan stood right in front of me at a finale of Champions on ice in COlumbus one year--she's small all over --amd very friendly as well. At the Memorial Golf tournament one year, I was amazed at how thin Tiger and Phil actually were; both look so much bigger on the telly. Not long ago several Buckeye football players were signing memorabilia at a local mall. Man they didn't look like the giants they do on tv (and even the pads and helmets can't make them look that much bigger). So my point is this, and I think it was said earlier as well; these skaters are tiny but strong athletes. Only high def really lets you realize that. So we really need to think before we call a skater thick, or chunky, or whatever uncomplimentary names have been used to describe them that is in reference to weight or build. Up close and personal, it just ain't so.

Sorry for rambling on, but I was one who was TOTALLY AMAZED at the difference between what I perceived from television viewing, and what I actually saw when I was in the same room or rink.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/11194928

Came across this article on Tessa Virtue today, which I swear was inspired by this thread.

:rolleye:

People say Tessa Virtue is too fat or too muscular to be good enough. Her one Olympic gold medal, two silvers and countless championship titles aren’t enough for some members of the media who scrutinize Virtue on her appearance more than they do her talent.

“I’ll show up at training camp (and) I’m told that maybe I should dye my hair blonde and asked about how my fat loss is coming along,” she tells HuffPost Canada’s Partner Studio.

“At all times, there’s discussion about the percentage of body fat I have, how I look on the ice and about how much skin a certain costume is showing,” she says.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Regarding Evan Lysacek being described as tiny: I thought he was over six feet tall? Or are we referring to his build/body type...?

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi is amazingly beautiful. So is Maria Butyskaya. Adelina Sotnikova, Julia L and Anna P are all gorgeous young Russian ladies. But for men, I don't know I could not find as many nice looking guys... I liked Gwendal and Marina, and I really like the new youngster from Canada, Nicolas Nadeau

Aklaus

Rinkside
[beauty in general shoul be more than having a nice face or the perfect body. nobody can compare the look of soccer players like david beckham or cristiano ronaldo with stephane lambiel or mark mitchell serously. its too different to be honest and of course this way you have to consider guys a tiny. beauty on skates has therefore more of a package. its personality, rapport to the audience, ability to show emotions and to share them with the viewers. IMO (only my point of view) Katarina Witt was unbeatable. Maria Butyrskaja was gracious too but more ladylike than the german; of course when she became world chamion she was a few years older too. Nicole Bobek hat something of a sphinx, one day full of joy, another day crying as the most gifted actress. Kira Korpi was mentioned before and I couldn't agree more - as far as I remember she was really modelling. Anna Pogorylaja is just 17 or 18, but may be she could become the next one in this row.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi is amazingly beautiful. So is Maria Butyskaya. Adelina Sotnikova, Julia L and Anna P are all gorgeous young Russian ladies. But for men, I don't know I could not find as many nice looking guys... I liked Gwendal and Marina, and I really like the new youngster from Canada, Nicolas Nadeau

Those are perfect choices for the ladies. Especially my Wife Maria Butyrskaya. Sorry, I couldn't resist.;) The gorgeous Russian Men that I've seen on ice are playing hockey. :love: However, Alexander Abt is older now but he was a dreamy young skater when I saw him way back in 2001.http://cs1201.vkontakte.ru/u3435048/31728219/x_82348506.jpg

BTW, Maria Sharapova isn't the only good looking tennis player from Russia. Have a look at Marat Safin. http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Safin-article.jpg

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
mrrice; BTW said:
http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Safin-article.jpg[/url]

For men I was only thinking about figure skaters, and mostly singles, as in dance there are many good looking guys and ladies, but I think it's unfair, as dance alows nicer looks through costumes, hair, make up. As I couldn't remember any one I chose a dance team. I loved many skaters, but not for whatever good looks.
And if I think of tennis players, the list is too long, including Marat:scratch2:

Last edited: