The best skaters never to win big... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The best skaters never to win big...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CDMM1991 said:
My pick would be Matt Savoie. He has all the makings of a US National, or even World Champion, but they're never all there at the right time. I'm sure he'll achieve tons of success in his other pursuits in life though.
I definitely agree with Matt.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
anything_for_skating said:
Irina won on Euros 7 times and you should know that

Kasey said 6 OR 7... no reason to get on her case... not everyone is going to be an Irina fan... or even then have her stats memorized. I have a hard time remembering everything my favorites ever won.

Kasey

Medalist
Irina won on Euros 7 times and you should know that

But she never won thing that she deserves more than anyone-OGM

I "Should" know that? NOT being an Irina fan? I suppose then, that you "should" know the medal history of every skater that you don't care so much for and don't follow then either, yes? I was at least in the right "ballpark" with it. And had she deserved the OGM "more than anyone", perhaps she would have put two performances together that were good enough to win. What makes someone more "deserving" of any medal other than their performances at THAT event? Personal hardship, so sorry, does not count when it comes to competition.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Kasey said:
I "Should" know that? NOT being an Irina fan? I suppose then, that you "should" know the medal history of every skater that you don't care so much for and don't follow then either, yes? I was at least in the right "ballpark" with it. And had she deserved the OGM "more than anyone", perhaps she would have put two performances together that were good enough to win. What makes someone more "deserving" of any medal other than their performances at THAT event? Personal hardship, so sorry, does not count when it comes to competition.

It's not about being Irina's fan or not. It's about being a SKATING fan. It's an ISU record that she made.

She DESERVES it. I am sick of explaining why does she in every thread. I think before the Olys, it was exactly you who asked the same thing in one thread. And I did answer........(boy, I did)

Anything_for_skating, I don't exactly understand what you mean when you say that Irina "deserves" to have been given the Olympic gold medal.

Do you mean that she should have skated better, and it's a shame that she didn't?

Or do you mean that the judges should have given her the medal anyway, even though she skated badly, because of all the wonderful skating she has done in other competitions?

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
it's probably that old rehashed argument that she should have won the short program over MK. Yawn.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
it's probably that old rehashed argument that she should have won the short program over MK. Yawn.

To be honest I think the short and long between MK and IS in 2002 both could have gone either way. My feeling was always that if IS had won the short, and MK been second in the short, and all skaters skated the same way in the long, MK would have placed 2nd in the long, and IS 3rd, to avoid controversy and make sure Hughes won overall. So losing the short actually gave Irina the silver instead of the bronze probably.

Also attyfan I believe it was, or maybe somebody else, made a good point that Michelle probably would have been on fire in the long if she was 2nd in the short, since she showed at the 00 and 01 Worlds she likes coming from behind, and being the hunted, on the heels of her rivals.

Kasey

Medalist
It's not about being Irina's fan or not. It's about being a SKATING fan. It's an ISU record that she made.

She DESERVES it. I am sick of explaining why does she in every thread. I think before the Olys, it was exactly you who asked the same thing in one thread. And I did answer........(boy, I did)

Pardon me. I can not be any kind of SKATING fan simply because I don't know exactly how many Euro titles Irina has won? Thank you for clarifying, for all these years I didn't know I was such an inferior fan. :sheesh:

And yes, prior to the Olympics, you made a post about how Irina "deserved" the Gold medal above everyone, before the games even began. I responded that NO ONE "deserves" a medal based on anything other than their on-ice performance. If you can't agree with that, well, that's your prerogative. But for you to bash other fans (which you do frequently) who simply do not have your same tastes, is just juvenile.

Had you actually READ the first post I made in this thread, of what kind of skaters I was thinking of, Irina NEVER would have come into this.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
To be honest I think the short and long between MK and IS in 2002 both could have gone either way. My feeling was always that if IS had won the short, and MK been second in the short, and all skaters skated the same way in the long, MK would have placed 2nd in the long, and IS 3rd, to avoid controversy and make sure Hughes won overall. So losing the short actually gave Irina the silver instead of the bronze probably.

That's really interesting. I think it also shows how messed up the old system really was. Good thing we have these point things now.

Also attyfan I believe it was, or maybe somebody else, made a good point that Michelle probably would have been on fire in the long if she was 2nd in the short, since she showed at the 00 and 01 Worlds she likes coming from behind, and being the hunted, on the heels of her rivals.

perhaps, perhaps. But the Olympics are always a different ballgame. In this year's Olympics Irina was 2nd going into the free. Since she usually is first you'd think that would give her some fire. But no, she caved in under the pressure. So you never know. I also think that if Cohen was 2nd she still would have skated the same way (she just seemed to be off that night for whatever reason). For Arakawa, didn't really matter I don't think.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Best skaters to never make it big

I forgot about Lisa Ervin! I liked her so much better than Nicole Bobek and really thought Lisa would have a long and successful eligible career. I think she lost her triple jumps and began having trouble maintaining her weight and then eventually just lost her desire to skate. IIRC, Scott Cramer was the reason Scott Hamilton left Carlo Fassi and moved to Don Laws. Hamilton thought Fassi was focusing on Scott Cramer and wasn't happy about it.

Derrick Delmore also comes to mind. He is so artistic and has such innovative programs. He is also really incosistent.

There was also a young lady who skated with Peggy Fleming and never beat her. Her name might be Wendy Burge, but I can't quite remember. Without Peggy, Wendy might be a household name.
LOL, the name I was trying to think of was TIna Noyes - not Wendy.

Maureen

Last edited:

flutterby1145

Rinkside
I definately agree with those who said Alexander Abt. IMO he had the potential to be World Champion or at least a World medalist. He had the misfortune of finally being able to stay (relatively) healthy/injury free during the era of Yagudin vs. Plushenko, which I think caused him to be overlooked alot. He was simply "the other Russian". Then again, he was at times inconsistent.

What about Alexander Fadeev? He was the 1985 World Champion wasn't he? I don't know alot about him, he was before my time (I was born in 1988) so the only things I know about him are the little pieces I have read about him in books. In My Sergei, Katia Gordeeva said she felt he had a lot of potiential but never fully realized that poteintial.

antmanb

Record Breaker

No body DESERVES anything as of right. If they work hard for it and pull off the two performances at the right time then they win it. If they don't then they didn't deserve it, the more deserving person is the one who does pull off the two programs. In Torino that was Arakawa who's two performances were better than Irina. End of story.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

Erm...MK didn't skate in Torino...

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
No, but she sure skated in SLC...(which is what I was referring to, BTW)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
No body DESERVES anything as of right. If they work hard for it and pull off the two performances at the right time then they win it. If they don't then they didn't deserve it, the more deserving person is the one who does pull off the two programs. In Torino that was Arakawa who's two performances were better than Irina. End of story.

Ant

Now you know its pointless to argue who deserves what with skating fans... only our favorites deserve to win because we love them sooo much... what they put out on the ice during a specific competiton is irrelevant... ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Now you know its pointless to argue who deserves what with skating fans... only our favorites deserve to win because we love them sooo much... what they put out on the ice during a specific competiton is irrelevant... ;)

And how true that is. Probably the most true thing in this thread.

If one throws in the 'what ifs', how would Irina compare to Kimmie in the Worlds had she participated?

It's extremely difficult to compare skating from one competition to another competition. It's all about what happens at THAT competition and the other competition just doesn't count.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
" ... perhaps, perhaps. But the Olympics are always a different ballgame. In this year's Olympics Irina was 2nd going into the free. Since she usually is first you'd think that would give her some fire. But no, she caved in under the pressure. So you never know. I also think that if Cohen was 2nd she still would have skated the same way (she just seemed to be off that night for whatever reason). For Arakawa, didn't really matter I don't think.

Was Irina first or second after the SP at the GPF?