Fumie Suguri's areas for slight improvement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fumie Suguri's areas for slight improvement

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
I thought you were a major Fumie fan, which is why I was so confused!!!

Yah i went in a stupid way with this to start, I was more looking at what she could improve to take her "idol's" place. I just wish her the best and wonder what holds her back - and like the input here because mort of the time it is so insightful. 80%+ of you guys...opps "persons" are so appreciated on giving me the knowledge beyond just my passion. Thanks!!!! I hate being wrong, but not as much as I like being corrected and then knowing.:clap:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Now about Fumie's "attitude" and personality, LOL, Dee and Kwanford are all wet. MM :)
:laugh: :laugh: Math, you just crack me up!!

It's how people perceive each other and what makes the world go round. For instance, I picture Red Dog to be really cute and sweet.

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Dee4707 said:
Sean, since you asked the question, here is my answer. I think Fumi needs an attitude adjustment. She reminds me of very timid inferior young lady. Whenever she gets her marks she always has this look like .........oh well, I don't deserve much more. It just irks me. I may be the only person who gets that vibe from her but it's my opinion of Fumi.

Dee

I have another thought on this too. If you have been ridiculed or beaten down by your parents, it leaves a huge scar and you will never do anything and will believe you can't. If you do anything right, you know it must be a mistake. In the earlier years, you don't try to study much because you know you're too dumb so why bother. There's a lot more I could say but I don't have time right now. If it were shyness, she wouldn't be there. But I do think part of it is shyness.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I have another thought on this too. If you have been ridiculed or beaten down by your parents, it leaves a huge scar and you will never do anything and will believe you can't. If you do anything right, you know it must be a mistake. In the earlier years, you don't try to study much because you know you're too dumb so why bother. There's a lot more I could say but I don't have time right now. If it were shyness, she wouldn't be there. But I do think part of it is shyness.

I am starting to see some of this point, if someone is that nice (IMO) chances are good that they are vulnerable.

Grgranny said:
I have another thought on this too. If you have been ridiculed or beaten down by your parents, it leaves a huge scar and you will never do anything and will believe you can't. If you do anything right, you know it must be a mistake. In the earlier years, you don't try to study much because you know you're too dumb so why bother.
Yes, I certainly agree that psychological abuse can cause devestating problems.

But I still don't think any of this applies to Fumie. For instance, she is an excellent student, a college graduate, and she is talking about going to graduate school in the United States. Although she is polite and reserved, I have never observed anything about Fumie to make me think that she has low self-esteem or anything like that.

Seanibu said:
...if someone is that nice (IMO) chances are good that they are vulnerable.
Well, there was the time that Sasha lost her tights going through security at the Salt Lake City Olympics...

wait, I don't mean it was an overly thorough search, just that she thought they were in her bag, but somehow she couldn't find them when it was time to dress...

anyway, the only thing that saved her was Fumie gave her an extra pair.

This niceness cost Fumie fourth place. Fumie came in fifth and Sasha fourth. If Fumie had been mean and said, tough cookies, skate in what you got, not my problem -- who knows what might have happened?

MM :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
This niceness cost Fumie fourth place. Fumie came in fifth and Sasha fourth. If Fumie had been mean and said, tough cookies, skate in what you got, not my problem -- who knows what might have happened?

MM :)
I hope you're joking. If not that sounds rather drastic.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
But you still don't get a medal for 4th place...at the olympics, anyway.

No, no, you missed the whole point of the story! Where Fumie messed up was, she had an attack of conscience at the last minute and gave Sasha a pair of hers to compete in.

(Seriously, though, this is a true story. Sasha really did arrive at the arena without her tights, and Fumie loaned her a pair to skate in.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh. I heard about the tights story, but I wasn't aware that Suguri was the one that lent her some.

Vash01

Medalist
Great topic. I purposely avoided reading others' opinions so that I can give my undiluted perspective (I will read other posts later).

IMO she needs to work on extensions/stretch, in many of her moves- particularly in the spins and spirals.

More power in her jumps

A 3-3 combination. A 3lutz-3toe will really boost her image, particularly in her homeland.

Better connection with the audience. She is expressive but she needs to direct this more to the outside. She skates within herself a lot, which is not a bad thing at all, but it probably hurts her artistic scores a bit.

She needs more difficult transitions to get more points under the COP. She also needs better choreography that expresses the music better. IMO the lack of this hurt her in the recent Olympics.

I don't mean to say that Fumie has a lot of deficiencies. She is a very accomplished skater but IMO she is capable of placing higher at the world level. The Japanese ladies field is very competitive. If she wants to make the Japanese world team, she will need small improvements in all these areas and they could add up to give her the competitive advantage she needs.

Vash

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
oh. I heard about the tights story, but I wasn't aware that Suguri was the one that lent her some.

Yeah. Many Sasha fans may not be aware that Fumie was the one because Sasha has referred to her as "the Japanese skater" instead of by her name.

R.D.

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
Yeah. Many Sasha fans may not be aware that Fumie was the one because Sasha has referred to her as "the Japanese skater" instead of by her name.

I wasn't even aware that she said that. And I'm more than sure it's not just Sasha fans; it's most skating fans. Many probably aren't even aware that this little "dilemma" happened

Sasha talked about it most recently in her question and answer sessions from Torino.

http://www.sashacohen.com/questions.shtml

Speaking about embarrassing moments, Sasha says: " One of my most memorable incidents was when I forgot my tights. You go through so many layers of security, opening and pulling out your things, I just grabbed my bag and went to the arena. You can’t skate without tights and Fumie Suguri gave me hers!"