is this a good improvement? | Golden Skate

is this a good improvement?

emilyskates!

Rinkside
(im a 13 yo female, i started seriously in february (when i turned 13 and got good skates) but started skating in december (when i was 12))

hey i wanna know if this is good enough improvement (as in if i keep going at this pace) to do competitions next year or maybe at the end of this year

so recently in february i started learn to skate classes (basic 1), learned the two foot and 1 foot spin, the front crossovers and in march i just kinda touched up on those things

however in april i got to basic 6 bc they moved me up and stuff so thats when i started to learn the scratch spin, the sit spin, got my spirals higher, power pulls, backward crossovers into the spins and the waltz jump
in may i started to learn the toe loop, half lutz, and salchow. Im also working on my cannonball spin (yk the sit spin except you put your leg outward and sit your head in your knee) and im working on the genie/attitude spin.

is this a good improvement rate? and if i keep improving at this rate will i be able to do competitions by the end of this yr/next yr?

(keep in mind that i skate 3 days a week 8-10 hours -- i also work w a private coach and in september im gonna go daily)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
(im a 13 yo female, i started seriously in february (when i turned 13 and got good skates) but started skating in december (when i was 12))

hey i wanna know if this is good enough improvement (as in if i keep going at this pace) to do competitions next year or maybe at the end of this year

so recently in february i started learn to skate classes (basic 1), learned the two foot and 1 foot spin, the front crossovers and in march i just kinda touched up on those things

however in april i got to basic 6 bc they moved me up and stuff so thats when i started to learn the scratch spin, the sit spin, got my spirals higher, power pulls, backward crossovers into the spins and the waltz jump
in may i started to learn the toe loop, half lutz, and salchow. Im also working on my cannonball spin (yk the sit spin except you put your leg outward and sit your head in your knee) and im working on the genie/attitude spin.

is this a good improvement rate? and if i keep improving at this rate will i be able to do competitions by the end of this yr/next yr?

(keep in mind that i skate 3 days a week 8-10 hours -- i also work w a private coach and in september im gonna go daily)
hi and welcome to the sport! It sounds to me like you are advancing at a regular, steady pace for a beginner. But I'm going to tell you that you are skating way too much! You are going to overdo it and potentially injure yourself, especially at your age and stage of development, your body cannot withstand that much. Even figure skating elites (and professionals like myself) do not skate/train that much. You should be doing about 4 hours a week if that at your stage.

As far as competing, you will have to talk to your private coach about that. I would say you should be able to test and do lower level competition, but I am not your coach.

Good luck! :)

Arwen17

Final Flight
I read this as 8 - 10 hours of skating per week (not per day). Is that correct?

That's still alot for OP's level lol!

She's probably skating the public sessions. 8/3 or 10/3 is 2-3 hours per day for those 3 days she skates. If her public sessions are crowded or she's not very focused, she might be skating in a lot of circles and a lot less practice than we think. Her mom probably drops her off at the rink for the length of the public session (2-3hrs) and she does whatever she does out there for 3 hours. Play tag with friends etc.

I don't think "2-3 hours" per day for 3 days is any reason to panic since that's exactly what I see many beginners on public sessions do since it is the normal length of many public sessions. They get interrupted a lot because the ice is crowded, they rest a lot, they play a lot with their friends, they do a lot of laps to work off frustration, etc.

Arwen17

Final Flight
when do skaters usually start competition? like one year after they start learning?

You just need to talk to your coach. There are competitions for people who have just started skating. Even people in Basic 1 are allowed to compete in Basic 1 level competitions.

emilyskates!

Rinkside
You just need to talk to your coach. There are competitions for people who have just started skating. Even people in Basic 1 are allowed to compete in Basic 1 level competitions.
Oh really? What about for freestyle 1? What kind of competitions are there available?

emilyskates!

Rinkside
She's probably skating the public sessions. 8/3 or 10/3 is 2-3 hours per day for those 3 days she skates. If her public sessions are crowded or she's not very focused, she might be skating in a lot of circles and a lot less practice than we think. Her mom probably drops her off at the rink for the length of the public session (2-3hrs) and she does whatever she does out there for 3 hours. Play tag with friends etc.

I don't think "2-3 hours" per day for 3 days is any reason to panic since that's exactly what I see many beginners on public sessions do since it is the normal length of many public sessions. They get interrupted a lot because the ice is crowded, they rest a lot, they play a lot with their friends, they do a lot of laps to work off frustration, etc.
Yes exactly thats kinda what i do

I just do ice skating wiht my friend and we work on stuff together and I also do private training with my coach