Just been wondering | Golden Skate

Just been wondering

sparkskater

Rinkside
If let's say an eighteen year old who has never skated before but really wants to skate and learn, do you think they have a chance at going to the olympics? or worlds?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Honestly? No. First of all, someone who is 18 and has never skated has to overcome something huge, which is the fear of falling. Little kids fall and bounce right back up and never think about it, and as they get older they are so used to it that it doesn't faze them at all. As basically a full grown adult, there definitely is that fear to conquer. Also, at 18 its quite likely that you are either in school or working, or both, which doesn't leave the many hours of necessary training hours that you need to make it to Worlds or the Olympics. If you are bound to a certain place because of school/work, then you may not have access to the coaching and off-ice training that you need to get to the top. I think that at 18 and over, there are just too many things that will prevent the vast majority of new skaters from becoming world class figure skaters. That doesn't mean that you can't achieve something in skating, though. At 21 you can start competing as an adult, and there are several big adult competitions out there. There's the US Adult National Championships (which I went to this year, three years after starting to skate at 22 years old), and there are even some international adult competitions.

megsk8z

On the Ice
What they said.........but that doesn't mean you shouldn't sign up for a class or two to check it out. You're young enough that you still have an opportunity to learn much. And honestly, the Olympics are a very small part of skating. It's fun and you'll meet a bunch of nice people.

flutterby1145

Rinkside
To be truthful no. Most of the skaters on the Olympic and World teams (with the exception of Johnny Weir and a couple of others) have been skating and training since they were 4-8 years old. But you can still take lessons. I didn't start taking lessons until spring, and I'm 18 years old too. It's definately lots of fun and make some new friends! Plus its great exercise.

sparkskater

Rinkside
Ahhh... no I didn't mean me, cause i've been skating already and have all my doubles except the double axel... just wondering what your thoughts are cause on another forum, someone who was 22 was asking if he would have a shot at OGM in Vancouver.

evenstar

Final Flight
Most likely not, unfortunately. The adult track however, shouldn't be shunned. The men attempt double axels and triples.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The ladies in Masters Championship also attempt double axels and triples. Natalie Shaby, this year's champion, landed a beautiful double Axel right in front of where we were sitting and could see the exit edge.