Are Edeas supposed to hurt? | Golden Skate

Are Edeas supposed to hurt?

ahhisa

Spectator
Hi! I’ve been skating for about a year now, I’m 47kg,152cm and I’m 13 , I just got my first pair of edea’s (chorus to be exact), I used Jackson’s for most of my skating journey and they never really hurt to break in and I’m wondering if edea’s always hurt to break in or I need a different boot? I got sized correctly by my local pro shop so idk if this is always how it is with edea's or I just need a different boot 😭

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
In what way do they hurt? Are you toes squeezed? Arch pain? Ankle bones? We need more clues.

What I will say, however, is that if you were happy in correctly sized Jacksons, it's highly likely that Edea aren't suitable for your feet.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Hi! I’ve been skating for about a year now, I’m 47kg,152cm and I’m 13 , I just got my first pair of edea’s (chorus to be exact), I used Jackson’s for most of my skating journey and they never really hurt to break in and I’m wondering if edea’s always hurt to break in or I need a different boot? I got sized correctly by my local pro shop so idk if this is always how it is with edea's or I just need a different boot 😭
It depends how it hurts, but in my experience if you are going to a boot with increased strength it should always hurt in some aspects, although it's possible the boot isnt suited for you. Generally speaking, even with changing boots in same model it usually has break in period.

Which boots did you have before (Exact model)?

ahhisa

Spectator
It depends how it hurts, but in my experience if you are going to a boot with increased strength it should always hurt in some aspects, although it's possible the boot isnt suited for you. Generally speaking, even with changing boots in same model it usually has break in period.

Which boots did you have before (Exact model)?
I had jackson mystique’s! I’ve been wearing them around the house for about 20-30 minutes like my coach recommended and my feet haven’t been hurting as much since then, I wonder if it was the boot and the support jump?

ahhisa

Spectator
In what way do they hurt? Are you toes squeezed? Arch pain? Ankle bones? We need more clues.

What I will say, however, is that if you were happy in correctly sized Jacksons, it's highly likely that Edea aren't suitable for your feet.
When I got fitted for my edea’s I found out that my Jackson were to big so maybe that’s why these are say more painful to break in? Honestly my toes aren’t squishing, and the arch pain is getting better has I’ve broken them in some more, I think part of the “pain”, since i was finally being fitted correctly so it’s such a jump to have a boot that actually fits your feet (im wondering at least??)

Elija

On the Ice
What do you mean by ‘hurt’? If it’s just arch pain, that’s fairly normal breaking in new boots (I’ve always had this with new edeas for the first couple of days), but it generally goes away after ten minutes or so. It shouldn’t be hurting everyday for the whole session or anything like that. If there are specific pressure points, perhaps the boots need punching out or stretching. And if it’s more that all of that, it’s possible edeas are just not right for your feet.

ahhisa

Spectator
What do you mean by ‘hurt’? If it’s just arch pain, that’s fairly normal breaking in new boots (I’ve always had this with new edeas for the first couple of days), but it generally goes away after ten minutes or so. It shouldn’t be hurting everyday for the whole session or anything like that. If there are specific pressure points, perhaps the boots need punching out or stretching. And if it’s more that all of that, it’s possible edeas are just not right for your feet.
From what I feel it’s just arch pain! They are getting less hellish like to walk in as I break them in more, I think it’s just extra painful because the first pair of skates I got werent sized right so it’s probably harder adjust with that and the support jump :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
When I got fitted for my edea’s I found out that my Jackson were to big so maybe that’s why these are say more painful to break in? Honestly my toes aren’t squishing, and the arch pain is getting better has I’ve broken them in some more, I think part of the “pain”, since i was finally being fitted correctly so it’s such a jump to have a boot that actually fits your feet (im wondering at least??)
In which case, it does sound like you're just having the normal process of getting your feet used to little concrete foot coffins and breaking the new boots in. Happily for you, this is a lot easier nowadays with the amount of padding in modern boots! If they're still painful in a few weeks, go back to your fitter and ask for help as there are many things that can be done, such as stretching pinch points and all manner of footbeds and arch support. A different lacing pattern may also help, but I'm not an expert on that. I just lace up and go and always have done.

Elija

On the Ice
In which case, it does sound like you're just having the normal process of getting your feet used to little concrete foot coffins and breaking the new boots in. Happily for you, this is a lot easier nowadays with the amount of padding in modern boots! If they're still painful in a few weeks, go back to your fitter and ask for help as there are many things that can be done, such as stretching pinch points and all manner of footbeds and arch support. A different lacing pattern may also help, but I'm not an expert on that. I just lace up and go and always have done.
Agree, make sure you’re not lacing too tight! Especially across the forefoot. Hopefully it will go away in time. If not, it’s most likely a sign the boots don’t fit right.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States

"Little concrete foot coffins" gave me a good chuckle, what an accurate way to phrase it! :laugh:

silverlily1

On the Ice
The only thing I might be able to add is that my blade isn't mounted in the right place for me on my right skate. I supinate and the blade is too far inward on the skate. This is causing arch pain, pain about halfway down my foot on the opposite side on top, and a lot of difficulty with backspins. As well as some pain up the outside right ankle. So incorrect blade mounting is another potential source of pain.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I use Superfeet black insoles in my Edea’s. I was having arch pain that wouldn’t go away and finally this was the solution. Edea insoles have zero arch support and tightening the skates put too pressure on my arch and the ball of my foot.