Who would you like to see at Campbell's? | Golden Skate

Who would you like to see at Campbell's?

My dream team: Kimmie Meissner, Mao Asada, Yu-na Kim, Sarah Meier, Elena Gedevanishvili, Joannie Rochette.

Gents: Lysacek, Weir, Buttle, Lambiel, Joubert, Takahashi.

Do you think it's time for USFS and its sponsors to start the ball rolling with an eye toward the future? If they went with the youth movement, the event could be a real competition and a chance to preview the new programs of the skaters that we will see in the Grand Prix and at Worlds. Would this draw an audience?

That way, they could reserve the December cheesefest (no audience voting, please) for more of an exhibition style event, with Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya and Arakawa making their curtain calls. The best of both worlds.

What do you all think?

MM :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that's a great idea, although I wonder whether the Japanese Federation would allow such an early season match-up for Asada. i also think that at this point after her world silver medal, Suguri should outrank Asada for a cheesefest.

New format: 8 and 8, adding in Suguri and Oda, Li and Kostner or Yan Liu.

Special exhibition by new world champions Pang/Tong and Denkova/Staviyski and local skaters from wherever Campbell's is held.

waxel

Final Flight
Looks like a good list to me. Whoever they get, I just hope it's a competition and not an exhibition... we'll have quite enough of those with all the wretched "theme" events to come later in the season.Exhibitions bore me silly.

MM. Your list is fine, but I don't think those skaters are going to make the big trip to Campbells, wherever it is held.

If it is a competition (and not a series of exhibitions), I would guess that it will be 4 US ladies and 4 US men; one each Canadian, and a bribe to get Yu na and Lambiel (all expenses paid and a big stipend whether win or lose).

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When are the skaters going to work on new programs? The COI tour runs into early August, which gives those doing Campbell's and/or Skate America or Skate Canada a scant two months to get ready.

MKFSfan

Medalist
While I would LOVE to see your lineup as is, MM, I agree with Joe, no way does USFSA invite that many non-Americans. My guess (and who I'd like to see from US, anyway) is Kimmie, Emily, Alissa and Katy will be invited. Actually, if it was up to me, I'd invite Bebe. Not sure about non-Americans, for ladies. Johnny, Evan, Matt (or did he retire??), and...I dunno! Buttle, perhaps, or Shawn? Or the guy that Wagner coaches who's name escapes me right now...

Skye

On the Ice
MM's looks like a probable GPF list. :) I doubt the USFSA will take such a risk on the opening event of a season. Every year the top US lady has won the Campbell's (either Kwan or Cohen) and the majority of the participants were US athletes. So my guess for this year's roster is -- Meissner, Hughes, Taylor, Czisny + 2 bridesmaids.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mathman said:
My dream team: Kimmie Meissner, Mao Asada, Yu-na Kim, Sarah Meier, Elena Gedevanishvili, Joannie Rochette.

Gents: Lysacek, Weir, Buttle, Lambiel, Joubert, Takahashi.

I like your dream team very much indeed! With the exception of Rochette (I would rather see Emily Hughes instead), I agree with the teams totally.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Fumie Suguri (always!), Sarah Meier, Miki Ando, Irina Slutskaya, Carolina Kostner, Sasha Cohen, Yuktina Oto, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes, Elena Gedevaneshvilli and Elena Sokolva - assuming this was "...would like to see..." I don't know enough about how is "allowed" but it seemed like a "desire to see post, so I gave my 2 cents.

Last edited:
dancindiva03 said:
I want to see some dancers and/or pairs, but that's just me...
Interestingly, the ISU web site says "men, ladies, pairs and dance." As far as I know the format has not been decided yet. They never had pairs or dance before, except as a half-time exhibition show.

One thing about the cheesefests, the last couple of years they paid the biggest purses of any figure skating event. $50,000 for the winner (the same as Worlds) and a substantial prize even for last place (enough to pay for the trip, anyway).

MM

Alsace

On the Ice
MKFSfan said:
While I would LOVE to see your lineup as is, MM, I agree with Joe, no way does USFSA invite that many non-Americans....

I thought that the USFSA doesn't get a choice about the non-Americans. Haven't we had a discussion about the skaters being placed by draw? USFSA has to invite those seeded skaters who drew Skate America.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
One for MM
yukaslide.jpg

Maybe she could be a host?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Alsace said:
I thought that the USFSA doesn't get a choice about the non-Americans. Haven't we had a discussion about the skaters being placed by draw? USFSA has to invite those seeded skaters who drew Skate America.

Not unless that is something new! Didn't Shizuka go to Campbell's last fall? She wasn't invited to SA and she was a seeded skater. I think the trouble USFSA has had is what format it follows. Now that COP is being used, USFSA HAS to follow that or they cannot invite seeded skaters to perform (speculated that was the reason for the Marshalls exhibition skate and not a Pro-Am style competition). But I could be off the mark!

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
I think that the USFSA can invite whoever they like to the cheesefests. The only rule I know of about cheesefests is that international competitions must follow COP. For Skate America they can invite 3 US skaters and the rest are assigned. The question for Campbell's is who would USFSA invite and who would except.

Seanibu, thanks for my new wallpaper! :agree:

Alsace, I think you are mixing up the Campbell's Soup Invitational (cheesefest) with the ISU Grand Prix event, Skate America. I don't think there are any restrictions on who the sponsors of the Campbell's contest can invite, even pros. It is similar to the Japan Open a couple of weeks ago.

In fact, unless they changed the rules for this year (which I think they have, slightly) a seeded skater like Sasha Cohen could skate at Campbell's and skip the Grand Prix altogether without penalty, because the Campbell's event is before the GP season officially starts.

MKSFfan raises a good question, and I think she is right that if they want to call this an officially sanctioned ISU event they have to score it with the New Judging System. If this is correct, IMO that makes it all the more likely that the big names (Michelle, Sasha, Irina, Shizuka) won't want to do it.

Edited to add: "What Theatergirl said," LOL. (You posted while I was writing this. :) )

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Seanibu, thanks for my new wallpaper! :agree:

Esh! Glad you like it but I wonder about the resolution. I shrunk It down to fit and it original was 640x320. You should like the next vid I am going to put on YouTube, I was recently contacted by a production studio via the "fun vids" I put out there.

So this is an eligibility issue or just invite in regards to Campbell's, and there is a difference between Campbell's soup events and Campbell's events? I didn't know that, thought that there were different "levels" of the same Campbell's event(s).

You must be a "gangster's" cousin, 'cause you really "wise guy!":rofl:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think they'd get good turnout if Campbell's is held the week before Skate America and two weeks before Skate Canada, if they choose competitors from those two close events. Takahashi, for example, trains part time in Newington.

Bill508

Rinkside
What about Miki Ando? Miki's future is bright. Rumor is that she's in Simsbury as we speak.