Ice Dancers Gregory and Petukhov Announce Coaching Change | Golden Skate

Ice Dancers Gregory and Petukhov Announce Coaching Change

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That seamed to be hinted at the last Olys. I wonder if there is something else?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for them. I hope the coaching change helps them move up in rank.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
seanibu said:
That seamed to be hinted at the last Olys. I wonder if there is something else?

It was?

I think it's a good change for them... they need a coach that can be attentive to their needs. Morosov is just too sought after these days...

I wish them all the best, they're awesome skaters and people and I can't wait to see what they come up with this season!!!!!! :clap: :rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Could be good for them I guess... While I think Morosov is indeed a bit overrated, I never liked Linichuk. Hope it works well for them though!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
While I think Morosov is indeed a bit overrated
Ptichka, I liked Nikoli's choreography until it all started looking the same.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Ptichka, I liked Nikoli's choreography until it all started looking the same.
I think he is a fine choreographer, but I think the jury is still out on him as a coach. He is taking credit for Bourne & Kraatz's World Gold as well as for Arakawa's OGM, but I am still not sure how strong a coach he is (BTW, for me Vasiliev is in exactly the same category; I see the young Russian pairs flock to him, and just don't know if that's wise on their part).

Antilles

Medalist
Yay. They might actually get some original choreography now. We won't know within ten seconds of looking at the program that Morozov choreographed it. I was annoyed this year that their FD was quite a rip off of A&P's R&J, and not even done as well. The music, costumes and choreography looked too much like the '98 program.

With G&G retiring, who does that leave in the Morozov camp, dance-wise? Lefebvre&Markov are there, but they aren't a top level team. They could also use new choreography.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Antilles said:
Yay. They might actually get some original choreography now. We won't know within ten seconds of looking at the program that Morozov choreographed it. I was annoyed this year that their FD was quite a rip off of A&P's R&J, and not even done as well. The music, costumes and choreography looked too much like the '98 program.

With G&G retiring, who does that leave in the Morozov camp, dance-wise? Lefebvre&Markov are there, but they aren't a top level team. They could also use new choreography.

I thought G&P's Romeo and Juliet was absolutely gorgeous, and I didn't think it was a rip-off of A&P's. And the costumes were stunning.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Good for them but they will have a lot of work ahead of them considering the depth of US Ice Dance. However a change was definitely needed for them.

Dyan

On the Ice
Antilles said:
..........With G&G retiring, who does that leave in the Morozov camp, dance-wise? Lefebvre&Markov are there, but they aren't a top level team. They could also use new choreography.

In addition to Lefebvre & Markov, Morozov also trains Wester & Barantsev and Stiegler & Magerovskiy which might be one reason why Gregory & Petukov felt the need to seek a different coach.

I also think that Morosov hasn't exactly proven himself as a technical coach. I've been a longtime fan of G&G and while in the beginning he gave Elena and Ruslan better programs than the ones Linichuk created for them ("Quixote" and "Hanging Escape") Morosov never seemed to address some of the weaknesses in G&G's skating. The inability to maintain speed throughout the program plus the fact that overall Ruslan was a much weaker icedancer than Elena.

In fact I've never really noticed that any of the dancers Morosov had taken on made any improvements technically after enlisting him as a coach.

I liked G&P's "Romeo & Juliet" but did see some similarites with A&P's version which IMO was far superior. Especially in the opening minute of the FD.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Dyan said:
I also think that Morosov hasn't exactly proven himself as a technical coach. I've been a longtime fan of G&G and while in the beginning he gave Elena and Ruslan better programs than the ones Linichuk created for them ("Quixote" and "Hanging Escape") Morosov never seemed to address some of the weaknesses in G&G's skating. The inability to maintain speed throughout the program plus the fact that overall Ruslan was a much weaker icedancer than Elena.

I can't argue about Morozov's overall ability as a technical coach, but Gregory & Petukhov did improve a lot technically under his guidance.