So who the Heck Ever Heard of The Hurricanes? | Golden Skate

So who the Heck Ever Heard of The Hurricanes?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's over - the Stanley Cup playoffs that is and once again the cup is going South of the boarder - this time to a team from Carolina - Mayberry RFD? Anyway, it's hard to believe Edmonton lost to small town USA. The thing that will get everyone's goat here in Canada is the Stanley Cup means nothing to the average American. It's the Holy Grail here. Oh well, there is always next year - Maybe!!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weren't the Hurricanes in the playoffs & (finals!) a few seasons ago?

Anyway, Bret Hedican (Kristi Y.'s husband) is on the team!!!

What an exciting series! Congrats to the 'Canes! :clap:

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Ladskater said:
The thing that will get everyone's goat here in Canada is the Stanley Cup means nothing to the average American. It's the Holy Grail here.

Hi, Ladskater! This "average American" (could someone please explain to me what that is, because I haven't a clue) was on the edge of her seat last night, supporting the Oilers until the very end. They've been a sentimental favorite since the Gretzky days. (As may be inferred by the quote below.)
And gee, those Hurricane fans in the arena sure seemed overjoyed that your "Holy Grail" is vacationing south of the border...I doubt it's meaningless to them.
Cheer up - there's always next season!
xoxo
Rave
Former subscriber, The Hockey News

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Yet another southeast division team claims the Cup. I suspect that most Americans, who follow the sport anyways, know of the Hurricanes. They have been around as long as the Oilers, actually. Both franchises got absorbed into NHL from the old WHL. Of course, the Hurricanes used to be called the Whalers, while they were still based in Hartford. The people I really feel here are the Hartford fans. They deserved to see the Cup there. It was great to see the old Whalers jerseys here and there in the arena.

Last time I checked, Edmonton is not such a big town themselves. In fact, isn't it the smallest market in NHL? The Research Triangle area is not a small town USA. I guess your statement shows how much an "average Canadian" knows about other NHL cities.

Anyways, congratulations to the Hurricanes. I wish it was my team, but I was glad to see 4 former Blues players win it (Doug Weight of course, Corey Stillmand and from the 90's Hedican and Brid'Amoor). Oilers should be proud of themselves no metter what. The fact that they managed to even qualify is amazing. To upset the President's trophy winner, the #1 team in the West, was amazing. To get to game 7 with their top goalie out is increadible. That gives hope to all other teams with a small payroll.

Now, here comes the draft!!!

And guess who has the #1 peak, for the first time ever???? Go Blues!!!!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
As a bitter Red Wings fan, I say cry me a river over Canada losing the "Holy Grail" and suggest that Dan Brown go find it... ;)

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I personally find it mildly ridiculous for any city south of St. Louis to have a (ice) hockey team, but Charlotte is definitely not a small town........

Ladskater

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Yet another southeast division team claims the Cup. I suspect that most Americans, who follow the sport anyways, know of the Hurricanes. They have been around as long as the Oilers, actually. Both franchises got absorbed into NHL from the old WHL. Of course, the Hurricanes used to be called the Whalers, while they were still based in Hartford. The people I really feel here are the Hartford fans. They deserved to see the Cup there. It was great to see the old Whalers jerseys here and there in the arena.

Last time I checked, Edmonton is not such a big town themselves. In fact, isn't it the smallest market in NHL? The Research Triangle area is not a small town USA. I guess your statement shows how much an "average Canadian" knows about other NHL cities.

Anyways, congratulations to the Hurricanes. I wish it was my team, but I was glad to see 4 former Blues players win it (Doug Weight of course, Corey Stillmand and from the 90's Hedican and Brid'Amoor). Oilers should be proud of themselves no metter what. The fact that they managed to even qualify is amazing. To upset the President's trophy winner, the #1 team in the West, was amazing. To get to game 7 with their top goalie out is increadible. That gives hope to all other teams with a small payroll.

Now, here comes the draft!!!

And guess who has the #1 peak, for the first time ever???? Go Blues!!!!

Edmonton may not be a large city , however, the Edmonton Oilers and the Stanley Cup have a long history. They won the Stanley Cup 5 times

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/stanleycupbunker/a/stanley_cuplist.htm

Anyway, the Oilers played with their hearts - that's what it is all about. And by the way the Great One (Gretsky) played for Edmonton!!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant said:
Hi, Ladskater! This "average American" (could someone please explain to me what that is, because I haven't a clue) was on the edge of her seat last night, supporting the Oilers until the very end. They've been a sentimental favorite since the Gretzky days. (As may be inferred by the quote below.)
And gee, those Hurricane fans in the arena sure seemed overjoyed that your "Holy Grail" is vacationing south of the border...I doubt it's meaningless to them.
Cheer up - there's always next season!
xoxo
Rave
Former subscriber, The Hockey News

Most Americans don't pay that much attention to Hockey as a rule. I doubt people in the States were glued to their tv sets through the whole series like they are here in Canada. I guess that is what I mean by "Average American." Maybe some of the towns in northern US where hockey is played - may tune in. Even our media coverage reported that the playoffs were pretty much ignored by the US media.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant:

"The shot of the baby in the Cup is just ADORABLE. When the Cup makes it to Bret & Kristi's, they have to release a snapshot of Kristi's gold medal hanging off the top of the Cup. "

Lord Stanely - who was the Governor General of Canada in 1892 and who the cup is named for would be appalled to hear such words as ADORABLE used to describe the top trophy of the NHL and hanging Kristi's medal off the top of the cup just would not be fitting.

Here is the history and origin of the cup:

http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/history/cup/index.html

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Edmonton may not be a large city , however, the Edmonton Oilers and the Stanley Cup have a long history. They won the Stanley Cup 5 times

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/stanleycupbunker/a/stanley_cuplist.htm

Anyway, the Oilers played with their hearts - that's what it is all about. And by the way the Great One (Gretsky) played for Edmonton!!

Of course I know that the Oilers won a CUP, five times. I think all people in USA know that Gretzky played for Oilers before the blockbuster trade to LA. Whether they know that the Oilers went on to win the Cup one more time after he left is another story. I also doubt that most people know his teammates.

Speaking of Gretzky, how can a proud Canadian buy a team in AZ that moved from Canada? That would be Phoenix coyotes, who moved from Winnapeg at the end of 1996 season, I believe.

Cheers.

On to the draft - this Saturday! Free agent season starts July 1st!!!!

76olympics

On the Ice
Gosh, I am happy for the Hurricanes and I am happy that hockey has so many fans and such a history in Canada. I am not a big hockey fan, but I don't think it is because I am American. The only sport I really follow is figure skating.

I do think it's a good thing when any sport broadens its borders and appeal. Baseball was born in America, but I think it's super if folks want to play the game in Canada.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Ladskater said:
Ravyn Rant:

"The shot of the baby in the Cup is just ADORABLE. When the Cup makes it to Bret & Kristi's, they have to release a snapshot of Kristi's gold medal hanging off the top of the Cup. "

Lord Stanely - who was the Governor General of Canada in 1892 and who the cup is named for would be appalled to hear such words as ADORABLE used to describe the top trophy of the NHL and hanging Kristi's medal off the top of the cup just would not be fitting.

Here is the history and origin of the cup:

http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/history/cup/index.html

Okay, Ladskater, I'll give you that. No babies in the Stanley Cup! (Do we have a head-hanging smiley?) And thanks for the link!
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am sure there are some Canadians just like there are some Americans who couldn't give a rip about a trophy for hockey... but I can assure you that there are just as many American Hockey Fans who are/were cheering

I'm not a hockey fan, but I do know the American team... thank you Kristi Yamaguchi ;)

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
Kwanford Wife said:
As a bitter Red Wings fan, I say cry me a river over Canada losing the "Holy Grail" and suggest that Dan Brown go find it... ;)

I'm with you as a fellow "bitter Red Wings fan," but I've got to say that this round of play-offs was EXCELLENT entertainment! Both teams really showed up to win. They should both be very proud. And now the rest of us can catch our breath!

I think the Oilers were really hurt by the loss of Rolofsson, their goalie. He was the "wall" that our Wings just couldn't get past. IMO, he was the reason Detroit lost.

As for the 'Canes, it's like Red Wings Old Home Central!!! Ward and many other players are former Wings, as is the coaching staff. And the icing on the cake is that Karmanos, the Michigan medical mogul, OWNS THE TEAM!!! He's promised to bring the cup around to us lowly Michiganians to get a good photo op. Hey, if a team has to win and it's not yours, it's nice to have 'em in your pocket!!! :D

I don't know why this isn't a much bigger sport here in the U.S., as there's nothing quite like it. But that's OK, 'cause it's hard enough to get good seats as it is!!!

Until next season...

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Tonichelle said:
I'm not a hockey fan, but I do know the American team... thank you Kristi Yamaguchi ;)

My supervisor came by yesterday, where I have that picture of the family with the baby in the Cup on my desktop (sorry, Lord Stanley!) and she asked...
"Who's that Chinese lady?"
"Um...Kristi Yamaguchi."
"Oh."
:rofl:
You think after working with me for nearly five years, she'd know that there's ALWAYS a figure skating connection to be made somewhere.
xoxo
Rave

Norlite

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Lord Stanely - who was the Governor General of Canada in 1892 and who the cup is named for would be appalled to hear such words as ADORABLE used to describe the top trophy of the NHL ]

You have no idea how Stanley would have felt about a picture of a baby in the cup being called adorable. :scratch:

He didn't particularly care about it when he was even around, it was just one of many gestures he made as GG. Heck, his family today is barely aware of it.

Congrats to Carolina! A team in which all Canadian hockey fans are aware of. (And if your not, you can't be much of a fan)

I don't know how Lord Stanley felt about babies, but I do know that in the endowment (10 guineas) that established the Stanley Cup it was specified that it would be awarded each year to "the best team in Canada." :)

Last edited: