For skaters, Home school or public?

• Public School

Votes: 48 52.7%
  • Home School

Votes: 43 47.3%

• Total voters

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I prefer home schooling for everyone. I was home schooled until I was 10 and it worked fine for me. I was able to see other kids in the hobbies I did like soccer etc. I think I got a better education personally from my mom then my counterparts in public school. I was even able to skip a year when I was put in the public school system b/c she did such a good job. But, my mother had to return to work. Now I'm in high school and I worry more about making it to Algebra w/out getting in a fight or whether or not the kid next to me has a knife then I do my grades. And I can't tell you how many bomb threats we've had this year. Of course one could argue that being pushed around and threatened "made me strong" but personally I think it's just made me bitter.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I think it's that for the serious skaters (the ones I'm thinking of are people like last year's Intermediate Men's champion, who does have a better-than-average shot at going someplace) they really don't have the time. If you homeschool, you can do your work between sessions, or at home in the evenings, or in the hotel, and aren't locked into having to be in school at certain times.

Also, homeschooling curricula is not just what parents know off the top of their heads. There are plenty of programs for homeschoolers that supply materials, and as someone already mentioned upthread in some cases students take classes that aren't practically taught at home (last time I checked it was hard to buy dissection specimens privately, and collecting them yourself is usually frowned upon, not to mention it's a messy business cutting things up) at schools.

With a lot of public schools, too, assuming your parents are from a middle-class background, often they know about as much as some teachers. In my case, my father probably knew more about math than my high-school teachers. And given how many teachers fail basic English classes, almost anyone could do about as well with grammar and composition.

Some skaters don't choose. If the school is adaptable, and lets them leave to practice or compete when they have to, okay. But when there really is a shot, do you want them coming back ten or twenty years later saying "I could have made it, but now I have a dead-end liberal arts degree and a job I hate, without anything to really look back on"? (If I ever have children, not only are they going to private/parochial, they are also being STRONGLY pointed towards hard sciences or business admin, not liberal arts.)

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
And why would someone not have a chance to be at the top and have good grades in public schools? You have to live, work, and compete in the real world, not a sheltered home environment.

Flexible hours. You don't have to miss class, because you need to go overseas, and when you get back, try to catch up. If you have your teacher(mom or dad) with you wherever you need to travel, you'll have a better chance of not falling behind in your grades.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Apropos of nothing, do you guys know that the word "school" comes from the Greek word for "leisure time?" That is, if you are so rich and noble that you don't have to work for a living, you can go to "school" and devote your time to improving your mind.

"Liberal" as in "liberal arts" means the same thing. Liberal means free, and the liberal arts are those studies undertaken by people who are free of the economic burden of earning a living.

Vocational training was called, classically, the artes illiberalis.

See, if you go to school you can learn cool stuff like that! ;)

You can learn that and more just as well at homeschool. They don't learn any less than a child who goes to public school. Most of the time, the child who is homeschooled, also, has better grades.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Public. Scheduling becomes a serious problem only by the time of High School. I would suggest a different solution - pass GED as soon as possible (I passed mine in 9th grade with no problem), and then just take classes at a local community college. Many of my friends went that route, and it works well for many of those who want to go to school but have problems with high school. Personally, I regret that my HS counsilor talked me (or rather my parents) out of going that way after I had my GED.

gio

Medalist
Now I'm in high school and I worry more about making it to Algebra w/out getting in a fight or whether or not the kid next to me has a knife then I do my grades. And I can't tell you how many bomb threats we've had this year. Of course one could argue that being pushed around and threatened "made me strong" but personally I think it's just made me bitter.

Is this really happening where you live? Thank goodness in public schools of the city where I live these things don't occur! Is this a problem of public schools in the US?
If the situation in public school is like this, I say it is better home schooling!

learnin'

Rinkside
From my experience, public schooling held me back in my learning. I would spend nine months reviewing what I learned in three. I feel that I've had so many more life experiences than I ever would have if I had chose to stay in school. I also feel more independent than my school taught peers. And to the poster(s) saying that parents need to be changing the system, remember the system has been messed up sence about 1951, when the first baby-boomers started kindergarden. Why didn't the parents of that generation step in and change the system?

I think it's that for the serious skaters (the ones I'm thinking of are people like last year's Intermediate Men's champion, who does have a better-than-average shot at going someplace) they really don't have the time. If you homeschool, you can do your work between sessions, or at home in the evenings, or in the hotel, and aren't locked into having to be in school at certain times.
That is precisely what concerns me most about home schooling for athletic hopefuls. They don't have time for education. They read a few pages in the car at 4:00 in the morning as they are being driven to skating practice and call it a day.

For parents who consider all the options and decide that home schooling is a better choice for their child's education than a more structured environment, more power to them.

But to say that you won't send your child to school because education takes too much time away from sports, no, I can't go along with that.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Aren't sports and other extracurricular activities for IF you have time AFTER you finish your schoolwork??? Being allowed to participate in skating should be your reward for doing well in school, IMO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Aren't sports and PE activities worked into the curriculum of a school day anyway?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well PE certainly doesn't get a lot of time any more. Competetive sports aren't supposed to be given any more empahasis than other EC activities....and are to come second to academics. Does this happen .............NO!!!!!!!!!! That is why high school football players have those diifcult classes like........"PE for Athletes" AKA extra practice during academic class time and also out of season which is illegal...............and of course there is the always popular "Cooking for Jocks" iand "Sports Film 101" guaranteed to boost the GPA to assure staying eligible.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So if public schools "cook the books" for football, is it wrong that mom and dad do it via home schooling? - public "interaction" aside.

Does anyone have issue or agreeance with what the Amish do in regards to schooling ONLY? Never heard anything on that comparison.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think both are wrong. Two words ...............Major Harris.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Good points made in that article CzarinaAnya.

"In public school, the occult is in all subjects -- be it math, language, or science. There are essays about witches and the occult. They have to practice all week and then they'll write about it. And it gets ingrained into their beings," said Waldemar.

And young school children are exposed to a graphic sex-ed curriculum. Joel Thornton of the International Human Rights Group represents the home school families.

"When you get a fourth grade class with a 10-year-old child," Thornton said, "and you're having explicit videotapes that are showing sexual relations going on to the child, to the children in that class…there are boys and girls in that class."

I don't remember having my being ingrained with witches and the occult when I went to school. Maybe times have changed.