American Idol 5/13 | Golden Skate

American Idol 5/13

R

realistic51

American Idol 5/13

Ok, guess I'll start it tonight:rollin: . rgrl and I will be debating this one I suppose....:rollin:

Kim L - Band of Gold- I liked this song when she and Frenchy first sang it. I liked it again.
Anyone Who Had A Heart - one of my favorite Dionne Warwick songs. I did NOT like this song for her voice but I guess that's because Dionne's voice was so different. It wasn't bad at all. Just not a song I would have chosen for her.
Inseparable-I was worried at first because it was so low and soft in the beginning. She did it justice in the middle. But is it me or does she do that "heartbreak" noise with her voice all the time?

Ruben - Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Well, that was different. Not too sure I liked this, but that's okay.
Smile - What a complete change of pace! This, to me, was absolutely amazing and definitely showed his versatility.
If Ever You're In My Arms Again - Absolutely one of my favorite Peabo songs and he nailed it, made it his own. He was just so into this song.

Clay - Vincent - Ok this is a Don McLean song that ranks right below American Pie in my book. I can't stand either song. I didn't think Clay did that bad at all.
Mack the Knife - How's come he didn't end with the spoken "Look out ole Mack is back"? LOL! I loved this one.
Unchained Melody - Love this song. Love Clay's rendition especially that high note in there.

My pick to go - Kimberley Locke. She just can't hold it against Ruben and Clay.

Who will win? Clay...just because.:rollin:

S

starshinexavier

Re: American Idol 5/13

Wow! What can I say about tonight's show other than WOW! I was amazed! You could totally tell that they all want to be in the final 2, and by the way they all sang tonight, they all should be.

I thought Kim sang so much better than she has the past few weeks. Her personal song choice highlighted her voice so nicely. She totally channeled Natalie Cole. Her other songs were great too, but not nearly as fabulous as her final song.

Ruben was hot tonight! I loved his rendition of Smile. He looked so happy and comfortable up on the stage during that song. And the final song he sang, I thought for a minute that it WAS Pebo Bryson(sp?) singing instead of Ruben. It was amazing! I felt at times he was yelling into the mic, but overall, fabulous. He did his thing tonight!

Man, I love Clay. I'd never heard the first song he sang before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I don't think it was as great as everyone knows how he can sing. I loved his rendition of Mack the Knife. It's a great song and he sang it how it should be sung. When he sang Unchained Melody, it almost brought me to tears. I LOVE that song, and I love how he sang it. He saved the best for last tonight for sure. I pray that he makes it to the final 2.

How funny was Simon when he said that the host should be voted off instead. I got weird looks from my dad. Meh. He's a hater. It's true though, Ryan should go so that the final 3 can stay and sing. Tomorrow will be a sad show. It did seem like tonight was AI on Ice. The Sarah Hughes mention, Mack the Knife, Smile, sure kept us skating and Shae & Vic fans happy!

My aunt wanted me to say that if she lived in the States, she wouldn't be able to vote tonight, it's too hard for her to decide who is the best. She equally enjoys the remaining contestants, and is sad that one of them will be going tomorrow night. She said each will be successful after the show finishes, and to her, they're all American Idols.

Realistic51, I agree with your pick for the winner. My heart belongs in the South, more specifically North Carolina. I hope and pray that he's the winner, but all 3 have shown tonight that they're worthy of the big prize. It'll be an interesting show tomorrow!

H

heyang

Simon got it right again. Compared to the top 3 of this year, the top 3 (together) wouldn't stand a chance. The only one that could compete against this year's top 3 is Kelly [and Tamayra who was in the top 4 last season].

As for tonight, all I can say is Wow. 1st song was random draw. 2nd song was chosen by the judges. 3rd was singer's choice.

<strong>Kim</strong> sang <em>Band of Gold, Anyone Who Had A Heart and Inseparable</em>. I thought she was great on the 1st song - thanks for the reminder. I couldn't remember who had sang the song earlier. I didn't like the 2nd song, but she did a credible job. The last song wasn't doing it for me at the beginning, but I got into it by the end.

<strong>Ruben</strong> sang <em>Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Smile and If Ever You're In My Arms Again</em>. I thought he did ok with the 1st choice. His version of Peabo was very good and I loved his version of Smile. It totally got me.

<strong>Clay</strong> sang <em>Vincent, Mack the Knife and Unchained Melody</em>. Of the 3, I enjoyed Mack the most. I didn't particularly care for his renditions of the other 2, but he nonetheless did a great job. I still see him on Broadway more than as a pop star. His movements seem too staged. I know pop stars are all packaged, but it's mostly choreography for the current pop stars. I just don't feel that Clay's hand gestures and facial expressions are 'true' - it seems as though he's practiced them in a mirror [which he has admitted to].

I was so glad that there was NO GUEST JUDGE. They show was so much more enjoyable without the wimpy platitudes.

I don't know who will be eliminated. It's too close to call. As much as Clay has the better voice, I personally prefer Ruben. Kim's good, but I haven't formed an 'attachment' to her.

I heard on the radio this morning that Simon says he thinks Clay would win, but his choice would be Ruben.

S

sk8m8

Ok. I am totally prepared to get bashed, but this is how I see it. Both Ruben and Kimberly are very talented vocally, but god do they both need more training. As a singer you are not supposed to breath during EVERY phrase of a song. It makes the song choppy and totally disturbs the flow of the lyrics. Both these individuals are terrificly talent, but both need major work in the "vocalese" department. Natural talent is great, however it won't cover up poor singing technique.

Clay, regardless if he forgot the words to Vincent or not, has such phenomenal vocal technique and pharasing. He breaths in al the right places, has more "color" in his phrasing (read: he can shade a phrase to fit the mood) and he rarely does vocal acrobatics, though he easily could.

I think that Kimberly will probably go this week. It is a shame, but I don't think it will be long before she has some sort of record deal. That leaves Ruben and Clay. I am really hoping that Clay raises the stakes for the last shows just as Kelly did last year. Don't worry about the gestures and the affectations folks, this kid has all the good to choose wherever he wants to go, whether it's Broadway or LA, he's the real deal and I think he deserves to win on what is obviously WELL DEVEOPED talent. ALL of this is IMHO to the tenth power.:eek:

K

Kara Bear

i watched this show with my mom and she may have influenced me because she loves kimberly. i thought kim was the only one who performed all three songs solidly. i don't really enjoy watching ruben. i would not pay to see him perform live and can only picture his songs on sappy movie soundtracks. my mom commented that she just could not see ruben doing music videos and movies like kelly clarkson has. harsh, but just our opinion. clay has the best voice of the bunch but i have to agree with whoever said he would be best on broadway. my mom mentioned that kimberly has lost a lot of weight. i hope she doesn't let the pressure of the whole image thing get to her. i think she is an absolute beautiful girl with a beautiful voice.

less vocal gymnastics for everyone would be great. canadian idol is coming up and the halifax auditions were on the news tonight. well, there was a lot of vocal gymnastics going on...too much at the wrong time is just horrible...note to future idol contestants, please don't sound like mariah carey, please!!!!!!

anyways my pick to go is ruben. clay is going to win. and i wish canadans could vote...i can't wait for canadian idol!!!!!

R

rgirl181

:lol: Realistic:lol: Unfortunately, I agree with you. Fortunately, we won't disappoint because I agree with you for different reasons;)

First of all, I did my "listen with eyes closed" evaluation tonight for every singer on every song. I know all the looks and moves by now and despite the limits of live studio sound, I have a very specific reference. I (as I'm sure others did) grew up with the "Tom Jones Show." To me, he has the epitome of a phenomenal pop voice. Sure you loved his stage presence, but his records sold because of those pipes. So my standard was, "Who would I buy without ever being able to see them?" IMO, there is no contest by this standard: Clay.

With the eyes closed test, Kim is just an average professional background singer. Ruben has a unique rasp to his voice that could be a signature, but the rest of his voice isn't nearly strong enough to sustain a pro career. In fact, what made it most obvious to me was when he sang the Peabo Bryson song. I thought, "Would Disney ever hire this guy to sing on one of their soundtracks?" and the answer for me was no. Maybe with good training, he could hit those upper registers and power notes, but for now Ruben is 75% personality and 25% sound.

I do think Clay has problems to overcome. He tends to add the same color to the same notes the same way no matter what the song. But all this kid needs is the right voice coach for style; IMO, he's got the substance. With Ruben, he's got the style, but not enough substance. Also with Clay, I think it would have been interesting if he had sung "Vincent" without belting any notes. The ability to sing a soft song softly and still maintain the emotion of the song and the interest of the audience is a really great singer. But I agree with Realistic that "Vincent" is one of those, "Why does anybody even like this song?" songs. Clay was just unlucky, although it could work to his advantage. If he makes it to the final two, which I think he will, it may spur him on to really nail it next week.

As for who I think will win, I don't know if Ruben's personality will carry him through or not. I think it's very close, especially since Ruben and Clay are both very engaging in nontraditional ways and they both seem very comfortable with who they are, very genuine. I would vote for Clay no matter how they sing next week, but I have no idea which way it will go. Last week "Entertainment Tonight" reported that the Vegas odds were Ruben 1:1, Clay 6:5, Kim 8:1. I didn't see it, but apparently in <em>People</em> magazine the odds had Clay slightly ahead (I forget the numbers) of Ruben, though both pretty close to even money, and Kim way down at 15:1. Anyway, I don't even have a gut feeling on this one. Last year, even if Tamyra had gone to the final two (as she should have) I think Kelly would have won. With Ruben and Clay, I have no idea. But I do think that in the long run, Clay will do better. Ruben might run hotter, but I think Clay would run longer based on voice quality.
Rgirl
So Realistic, how'd I do?;)

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Clay's night just sucked... other than Unchained Melody his night was horrid

VIncent is not a BAD song... nor does the song itself suck... Clay pulled a Trenyce... though accidently... but even Randy could tell he wasn't feeling the song. THat is a gorgeous song... for a great rendition listen to Josh GROBAN... he'll put that song where it needs to be.

His second song was so lounge lizard... Paula totally totally totally does NOT know how to pick a GOOD song!

His choice was good... way better than his recording he gave to his mom. Way to go Clay... the best of the night

I have so many worries that Clay won't make it to the top two.....even though I can't get through... I'm still worried to no end

S

Show 42

Wow, I made the mistake of reading this thread (west coast here) before the show aired. I think at this point, the ramblings of the judges are worthless. The public will vote for their favorite, regardless of how they sang tonight. Despite Clay's slight lapse during "Vincent", he is by far the greatest talent of the three by a long shot. I do agree that he could use a voice coach to fine tune his already brilliant "pipes", but he is the only one of the three that I would pay my hard earned money for a CD. Kim has a very nice voice, but ever so often is slightly off key. Ruben could do well in a sit-com, has a nice voice also, but not a "money maker" CD wise.

Speaking of CD's, I bought the latest "American Idol" CD mainly to get a recording of Clay's voice. I was pleasantly surprised that the whole CD has some very nice cuts.

As for voting, is the west coast locked out of the voting process? I haven't been able to get through (ever). All I get is a "busy signal"........42

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:red;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Toni, I cannot get through to vote for Clay. Last week I could not get through at all, but the week before I managed to vote for him five times with only one busy signal. I hope this is a good sign!</span> :D

<span style="color:navy;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">I think it would have been extremely daring of Clay to sing "Vincent" completely softly with very little background music. That had the potential to be amazing, despite the fact that the song itself is not my personal favorite. I had a student sing it in class about a year ago, and he accompanied himself on the guitar. We worked on keeping it simple and REAL, and it was just wonderful. Too bad Clay did not try it like that. Had he pulled it off, that would have been the end of Roooo-ben. As for "Mack the Knife," well, if any Broadway producers were listening and have not already stood in line and taken a number in order to book Clay, they should do so immediately. His "Unchained Melody" had me IN TEARS! It was magnificent. I applauded Randy for having the guts to give Clay a standing O just after telling Ruben how mediocre he was (in much kinder words than that).</span>

<span style="color:purple;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Kimberley: She is lovely, her voice is lovely, she desperately needs coaching in all aspects of performance. I hope she gets that opportunity. Both she and Ruben are suffering from overuse of their voices. That raspiness is not style--it's vocal fatigue.</span>
<span style="color:maroon;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">
Ruben was so off key, so SHARP in that first song that I just could not get past it. I'm almost POSITIVE that Simon must have heard it and ignored it for fear of landing Ruben in the bottom two tomorrow night. He desperately wants it to be a showdown between Ruben and Clay. Ruben has trouble getting through phrases because of breath management issues--DUH! What a surprise... Whether he wins or not, I hope he lands not only a recording contract, but the advice of a good dietician. It's frightening to think of the whirlwind he would face as the winner and I would be very concerned about his ability to withstand it. For heaven's sake, he labors to walk over to where Ryan S. is sitting! He seems like such a sweet guy--it would be nice for him to get the help he obviously needs. Now THAT would be something for the youth of America to look up to!</span>
<span style="color:teal;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">
Based on tonight, it should come down to Clay and Ruben, but I don't think Ruben was any better than Kimberley.</span>

K

KwanFan1212

Don't worry Toni....I think Clay should be safe!! Have faith. :)

Oh boy, tonight about gave me an ulcer for SO many reasons....LOL

First, Clay's first song was AWFUL! Not the way he sang it but just the song itself! Out of ALL the songs in that bowl, he gets the worst one of all!? NOT fair. I was majorly bummed. For that song being a really horrible one though, he really did the best he could with it! :eek:

Second, Kim was really bringing it tonight! (Oh gosh, wait a minute while I get the spirit of Randy out of me. AUGH!!!!!! Ok, its gone now....LOL) But she did a pretty nice job overall tonight. I was impressed more with her first and last songs but she did great! Good for her. :D

Third, calling for Clay tonight was AWFUL! I did manage to get through TWICE for Clay and that was it. My fear of someone having more votes than Clay and getting him booted tomorrow kept me from trying anyone else's lines though for fear that I would get through on one of those and never be able to get through on Clay's again! The two times I did get through were SO random though. Once was during the 9:00-9:30 PM half hour and then I got through again around like 10:40 PM. That was it though! And mom and I kept trying the entire two hours! It was crazy. At least I got through twice though I guess. :eek:

Four, I was cracking up during Simon and Paula's interactions! And I loved Simon's line to Paula after she said she was shutting up now when he said that this was her best statement of the night....LOL

Great night overall! Now, just say that Clay is safe REALLY early tomorrow night and save me the ulcer!! LOL :lol:

My new fave Simon quote: "I said he was more Broadway than pop star, but I think he [Clay] could end up making more money than anyone who's ever entered this competition." -TVGuide, May 17-23rd Issue

S

Show 42

I got through!!! Just once in two hours, but it's a first for me. I finally was able to vote! 42

R

realistic51

AI 5/13

rgrl, we agreed????? Oh no!!! What are we going to do when we watch American Junior Idol?:rollin:

Don McLean did some absolutely fabulous songs that are so better than "Vincent" and "American Pie"--2 of my least favorite songs. And I HAVE heard the version by Josh Groban--still don't like the song.:rollin:

I was just thinking...if there was one person who would go on American Idol who sung like Josh Groban the 3 that are left wouldn't provide ANY competition. Josh can move me to tears. I loved watching him on the Brian Boitano special. AHHHHHHH...be still my heart! Ok, I'm 51 and too old to have heart palpitations (sp) over some youngter....:rollin:

Ok back on track. Vocal fatigue!!! Kimberley definitely sounds as if she has vocal fatigue. I also noticed that with Ruben on his first song, but not the last two. I'm so off track...

M

mike79

Re: AI 5/13

My thoughts:

Kim: Solid through all three songs, but never outstanding.

Ruben: Signed, Sealed, Delivered was ok, but I can't stand that song. I thought he was amazing with Smile. As for the last song it was a little off. I expected him to do awesome with it since it was Peabo Bryson and Ruben did so well with A Whole New World earlier in the competition.

Clay: I thought his rendition of Vincent was a joke, although it's not really his fault since he even admitted it isn't a song he wouls readily pick. Mack the Knife was an interesting judge's pick. Simon has mentioned throughout the show how Clay sounds too Broadway, but then goes and selects a song that brings out the Broadway in Clay's voice more than ever. He did an excellent version of it. I coudn't stand the beginning of Unchained Melody because it was faster than the original. I thought Clay did an amazing job at the end of it, although Paula was wrong to say that it was the best performance of the competition. Clay, Ruben, and Kim have all had better performances than they did last night.

Prediction: Kim goes because she doesn't have the fan base.

Interesting side note: All three of the idols came from the second week of top 8 performers. Ruben and Kim got through that week, and Clay had to wait for the wildcard. That really shows how the talent in each group of 8 was not distributed fairly.

M

mathman444

Vincent is a great song, a marvelous song, a wonderful song. (I once sent a version of it to Lori Nichol, along with a tape about the life of Van Gogh, and (of course) my choreographic suggestions, for Michelle, :lol: . She said, some day I'm going to surprise you and actually use one of your hare-brained ideas (she didn't say hare-brained, however :lol: ).)

I don't know why Fox doesn't spend a couple of thou and buy more telephone lines. Many people tried and tried and tried to vote, all in vain. Just for the advertising value alone -- three billion two-hundred ninety-five million seven hundred twenty-three thousand nine hundred three votes were cast last night, making this the most popular TV show in the history of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruben as Frank Sinatra?

But when Clay hit that high note -- will he dare, yes, no, yes! --I NEEEEEEEED YOUR LOVE -- Oh, wow, it was like when Michelle breaks into that spiral.

Mathman

PS. Well, maybe not her spiral. But anyway her double Axel.;)

S

sk8m8

Mathman, I totally agree with you about the song Vincent, it is one of my favorites. The problem with the version last night is that it is a "story" song and all the lyrics are interdepentdent on one another. These truncated versions of songs are ok if they don't have a long arc. That version of Vincent was like a Reader's Digest version of War and Peace.What a mistake to put that song in a random selection bowl for ANYONE. I personally thought Clay did pretty well because the lyrics all lead into one another to tell that story. Also, if they are going to do something like that are teleprompters out of the question? When Diana Ross, Barbara Striesand and Harry Conick, Jr all use them, what's wrong with helping out ametures that have to learn these altered versions in a week? The arrangers obviously have far more vivid imaginations ( and dare I say better drugs:rollin: ) than I could ever fathom. Though Clay did a fabulous job on Mac the Knife, it too has a overarcing story line and it's stupid to shorten it to a minute and a half. Guess that's why I'm not working at AI production staff, eh?:eek: :eek: :eek:

G

guinevere

Amer Idol 5/13

Down to the Top 3! Yow! Too bad none of them could have made it easier on us by totally blowing it :lol:

<strong>K.Lo </strong>- her familiarity with and love for Band of Gold and Inseparable gave those performances something extra. I thought she did best with Band of Gold, but I am so glad she "came to win". The Dionne Warwick song I thought was good, but when Paula mentioned Kelly in the context of why they chose it for her, I couldn't help but hear how Kelly would have sang it.

<strong>Ruben</strong> - His rendition of Signed, Sealed, Delivered was my absolute favorite performance of his. Didn't care for Smile, although he ended strong. And I just realized I can't remember what song he sang at the end!! I know he sounded pretty good, but this sort of exemplifies why I've never been on the Ruben bandwagon. And RealtorGal, I heard the strain in his voice all night. The beginnings of each song would be ok, but by the end that rasp was out of control. Considering what happened to Kelly's voice in the post-AI whirlwind, I would be seriously concerned for Ruben's voice in the next 6 months if he wins.

<strong>Clay</strong> - anyone else think it was suspicious (or at least unfortunate) that Clay was the only one who got a bum song out of the random draw? Kim and Ruben both got songs well within their comfort zone - Kim had already sung her song during this competition! - and CLay got stuck with a rather obscure choice. "Vincent" fans, don't jump all over me, but compared to the draws of the other 2, it would have been very difficult for Clay to pull this off. Not that he can't do it, but preparing for 2 <em>other</em> songs as well probably split his focus from this. The random draw was kind of a failure to me - it would have worked if everyone got a song really outside their comfort zone. ps I didn't even notice that Clay messed up the words. I liked Mack the Knife (but not as much as Paula did!), and I agree with Randy about Unchained Melody - HATED the arrangement, but loved how Clay made it work.

I had a really hard time deciding who should move forward. I'm pretty resigned that the final 2 will be Ruben and Clay, and in terms of overall consistency, I agree with that, but I thought K.Lo did great tonight and I voted for her a bunch (got through on my 1st try and was worried, but then couldn't get through again for 15 minutes)

guinevere

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: Amer Idol 5/13

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I do agree that he could use a voice coach to fine tune his already brilliant "pipes", but he is the only one of the three that I would pay my hard earned money for a CD.[/quote]

American Idol supplies a coach for the contestants... and with only 3 left they get a lot of individual time with her

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:blue;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">I thought you might find this interesting; I found it on another board:</span>

<em><span style="color:purple;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">"I just wanted to let you guys in on something I read on another American Idol board..Like most of you, I felt bad for Clay getting the shaft with drawing "Vincent." I feel even WORSE, because the producers asked him right before the show started to streeeeetch the song with an extra verse. Seems they already knew it was going to be one of those shows where they ran short. So poor Clay had been practicing the song all week, yet had to pull another verse out of his bum. So that's possibly why he was having trouble with the words. Nigel Lawthorne (or something like that), the producer, told the entire studio audience about Clay, I wish they would have told the tv audience too!!"</span></em>

<span style="color:blue;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">After that post, someone mentioned the word "SABOTAGE," which was funny because that came to my mind as well.</span> :mad: