2024 World Championships Free Dance | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Free Dance

slider11

Medalist
Thinking the top 3 ice dance teams may take a pause next year, at least with the GPs and maybe come in for their Nationals and Worlds.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I couldn't watch the last two groups live.

Thank you Jesus they had G/P win the free. This and Hitchcock are my favorite programs of theirs. I could not with the sappy music--they do the stronger more suspenseful music so well! Winning the free also makes next year that much more interesting.

C/B's program is extremely creative but it doesn't have the emotional pull. I loved watching all of the nuances of the program. I hope they continue to find creative ways to push themselves. I still cannot believe that this was the same team who was with Igor a decade ago--I found them so dull back then. Congrats on their second world championship!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Christina has grown on me...Anthony on the other end...
I worry, whenever I see him from the side, that he's going to have chronic lower back problems long before he's even middle-aged. His lordosis isn't as noticeable here
with the loose shirt, but in his close-fitting rhythm dance costume the swayback was very obvious. Somebody get him into ballet class and correct his posture!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:ot: Since we have been talking about older skaters, does anyone know who is the oldest male to win a figure skating World Championship? They keep telling us Deanna is the oldest female, which seems to imply there is an older male, but I couldn't discover by googling who that is.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The programs I will watch again are both Finnish teams, both Czech teams, both French teams, the Lithuanians, the Koreans, Fear/Gibson, and Gilles/Poirier. :love2:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
:ot: Since we have been talking about older skaters, does anyone know who is the oldest male to win a figure skating World Championship? They keep telling us Deanna is the oldest female, which seems to imply there is an older male, but I couldn't discover by googling who that is.
In the early days, before WW1, many of the men in singles competition were in their thirties, but as you probably found, as I did when I checked a few other sources as well as Google, for some of the European men dates of birth aren't given. In the post-WW2 era probably Oleg Protopopov would be a contender for that title at least. He was in his mid-thirties when they won their last pairs title.

The publicity around Deanna being the oldest woman may be because journalists haven't been able to find the ages of some of the earlier men (the Salchow/Grafstrom/etc era) who were the only competitors until Madge Syers crashed the party, as it were. So they just don't know who might have been the oldest male champion in any of the disciplines. And even though the earlier male champions were mainly in their twenties and thirties, the women tended to be younger so a woman's age of 40 is more headline-worthy :hap10:

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In the early days, before WW1, many of the men in singles competition were in their thirties, but as you probably found, as I did when I checked a few other sources as well as Google, for some of the European men dates of birth aren't given. In the post-WW2 era probably Oleg Protopopov would be a contender for that title at least. He was in his mid-thirties when they won their last pairs title.

The publicity around Deanna being the oldest woman may be because journalists haven't been able to find the ages of some of the earlier men (the Salchow/Grafstrom/etc era) who were the only competitors until Madge Syers crashed the party, as it were. So they just don't know who might have been the oldest male champion in any of the disciplines. And even though the earlier male champions were mainly in their twenties and thirties, the women tended to be younger so a woman's age of 40 is more headline-worthy :hap10:

Still :ot: but from what I could make out (working from a list of Olympic oldest and youngest, which of course may miss some) Gillis Grafström was 35 or 36 when he won his last Worlds (singles) in 1929 and that was the oldest I could work out. Oleg Protopopov was either 36 or 37 in 1965 when he won in pairs at Colorado Springs Worlds.

yctomi

Rinkside
The results are fair but the scores are way too high. The top teams got age bonuses for their GOE and components, not their skating. Particularly their skills are not in the 9s.

sisinka

Medalist
@TallyT mentioned skater Grafström from older times.

From my (and wikipedia) knowledge...

Pair skater Hongbo Zhao was born September 22, 1973. With Xue Shen they won Olympics in 2010. He was 36 years old.

Oleg Protopopov was born in July 1932, with Ludmila Belousova they won European and World Championships and Olympics in 1968 (time of events as today - from January to March). He was 35 years old.

Deanna Stellato-Dudek is unbeliavable. She was born June 22, 1983. She is 40 years old, but keeps herself in such top shape. Unbeliavable.

Olympics in 2026 can bring us another record. World top 3 ice dance couples at the moment are Canadians, Italians and Americans. If nothing will change, one of them may / will win the Olympics.
At February 2026:
- Piper and Paul will be both 34 years old
- Charlene and Marco will be 36 and 38 years old
- Madison and Evan will be 33 and 36 years old (few days later Evan will be 37)

nomi darling

On the Ice
shoutout to Juho that looks axactly like an Art Decò adv

71AsmYLznZL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

and this is how you do your costumes without being shallow
This is in all honesty a wonderful book! I've had it on my shelf for probably 10 years & it's come in handy more than once!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am super happy that Mom finally appreciated G/Fabri after seeing them live. She even complained that they didn't come first after the short! I absolutely love their programs this year.

Personally, I watch ice dance as a concert, versus competition because I can only see obvious mistakes or obvious mastery. For me, Piper and Paul blew everything out of the water this competition! Not sure why Choke and Bates won the short with such a high margin, because it didn't have the originality of their free.

anyway, the last 5 except for Finns was an incredible spectacle. All the programs were so different and so good! Just mind blowingly gorgeous!

From the other skaters, honestly, I know people don't like Lopareva/B free, but I liked it from the get go and I thought it was even better here. They are just so good at keeping the tension. It's like a dagger balanced at the point. Anyway, I love them.

Mom really liked Reed/A, I am still not a fan.

And, gosh, I am here for Mrazkova/Mrazek to continue to climb. They are my favorite team, and I was glad they nearly beat Davis Smokin who outscored them heavily at the start of the season. I hope to see them advance next year into top 10.