NHK Trophy Preview | Page 5 | Golden Skate

NHK Trophy Preview

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
You mean like the ridiculous preview where you called me a Lysacek fanatic, and he still placed (in both events) as predicted? :cool:

Anyhoooo, predictions are just that - it's all about the roll of the dice - I mean ice.

I never expected you to respond to me at any point but since you did I might as well clarify my thoughts.

I never at any point disputed Lysacek would win Eric Bompard, or your prediction of him to be 2nd at Skate America in advance of the event, and even if I had disagreed, which I didnt, neither could be considered the shockingly outrageous pre-event claim like was Lambiel being "satisfied" to only make the podium not only below Oda, but even Takahashi. Not merely picking him to finish below Takahashi, but to the point of "might have to be satisfied" with merely a podium competing against Oda and Takahashi. My comments were in no way related to your predicted finish for Lysacek in either of his events, neither of which surprised me in the least that they turned out as each did in fact.

As for Lysacek I was merely shocked at your saying in the preview of Eric Bompard that he could have done any better in terms of his final medal finish at either this seasons Skate America or the past seasons Worlds with a clean short program. There is no basis to believe that he was going to score a 80+ in the short program which he would have needed to win Skate America; as for Worlds last year the points spread to even move up to silver, as it was, would require such an unrealisticaly high score in the short program, combined with such an unrealistic increase in score for the free skate by being in the final group, that it would be hard to even start to explain.

Last edited:
The author will have to revise her prediction for third place, that's for sure.

Still, I would have thought that Lambiel fans would be more concerned about Stephane's injuries or illness than about scoring debating points or missing a chance to insult imaginary foes.
Still I would have throught that Oda's fans would rejoice as to not having Lambiel get in the way of a home country victory. Then again I would use the term some and not imply all.

This is the first I've heard of the WD. Bummer! Will he be well enough for Euros? Who know what shadows lurk in the hearts of men?

Joe

Still I would have throught that Oda's fans would rejoice as to not having Lambiel get in the way of a home country victory.
I do not believe that any sportsman or sports fan rejoices at an opponent's injuries. Athletes want to compete and win, they don't dodge competition or hope that misfortune overtakes their rivals.

Can't help but think Johnny doesn't give a flying fig whether he goes to the GPF or not.
Sadly, I think you're right.

But then why did Johnny skate in the Grand Prix at all, if he doesn't give a flying fig if he wins or loses?

antmanb

Record Breaker

But then why did Johnny skate in the Grand Prix at all, if he doesn't give a flying fig if he wins or loses?

Because he likes skating? Not everyone who skates can win.

Ant

Ant, you have made 1666 posts on Golden Skate and 1665 of them were brimming with common sense. :)

If Johnny "just enjoyed skating" he could stay home and skate on the pond in his back yard. Any athlete who undertakes the training required to compete in his sport at the elite level wants to win.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I never at any point disputed Lysacek would win Eric Bompard, or your prediction of him to be 2nd at Skate America in advance of the event, and even if I had disagreed, which I didnt, neither could be considered the shockingly outrageous pre-event claim like was Lambiel being "satisfied" to only make the podium not only below Oda, but even Takahashi. Not merely picking him to finish below Takahashi, but to the point of "might have to be satisfied" with merely a podium competing against Oda and Takahashi. My comments were in no way related to your predicted finish for Lysacek in either of his events, neither of which surprised me in the least that they turned out as each did in fact.

I don't understand why you've got your knickers in a twist about saying that Lambiel might not win gold at the event? Saying that he may have to be satisfied with merely being on the podium means that he might come third what's so earth shatteringly wrong with that prediciton? Just take a moment to read the paragraph again with everything in context... i don't understand why the big hullabaloo.

"And both Japanese men will have to deal with World Champion Stephane Lambiel, who has looked less than sharp this season thus far but won Skate Canada by virtue of being the least awful. With his triple axel missing in action and even his normally reliable quad looking shaky, Lambiel may need to be satisfied with just making the podium at this event. Challengers to keep him off the podium are few but include Kevin van der Perren of Belgium and Chengjiang Li of China."

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I don't understand why you've got your knickers in a twist about saying that Lambiel might not win gold at the event? Saying that he may have to be satisfied with merely being on the podium means that he might come third what's so earth shatteringly wrong with that prediciton? Just take a moment to read the paragraph again with everything in context... i don't understand why the big hullabaloo.

"And both Japanese men will have to deal with World Champion Stephane Lambiel, who has looked less than sharp this season thus far but won Skate Canada by virtue of being the least awful. With his triple axel missing in action and even his normally reliable quad looking shaky, Lambiel may need to be satisfied with just making the podium at this event. Challengers to keep him off the podium are few but include Kevin van der Perren of Belgium and Chengjiang Li of China."

Given that you are the same individual who failed to understand simple examples of judging at the World junior skating championships being corrupt I would not expect you to understand something obvious nor would I even go through the aggravation of trying to explain to you. :laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ant, you have made 1666 posts on Golden Skate and 1665 of them were brimming with common sense. :)

If Johnny "just enjoyed skating" he could stay home and skate on the pond in his back yard. Any athlete who undertakes the training required to compete in his sport at the elite level wants to win.

:laugh:

Well i'm not so sure about everybody...i concede that in Johnny's case you must be right because hes bubbling at the top and he must surely only feel happy if he ends and event with a medal round his neck, preferably a gold.

But if you look to the rest of the fields...everyone has to set realistic goals for their competitive skating - if a 10-20 finsiher at worlds goes into every event thinking they're going to win it, it would be demoralising and they'd throw the towel in. Getting to the top means plannig to get there. Thinking of the British skaters as a home example for me. Even the Kerrs don't go to International Champsionships thinking i'm going to win this. They go in planning to skate the best they can and set a goal that e.g. top ten would be a good result, top 8 a dream result etc etc. With our singles skaters its even more calculated. I'm sure John Hamer will want to beat last years results so for him qulifying for the free skate would be a reasonable goal with breaking the top 20 or top 15 a good solid goal. NOt everyone can have winning as their master plan, otherwise we'd have only about 7 or 8 skaters in the world competing and the rest skating on ponds. :)

Ant

Then again I would use the term some and not imply all.
I would have thought that ALL Lambiel fans would be concerned about his injuries/illness. I guess I was wrong. OK, I'll change it to "some."

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Given that you are the same individual who failed to understand simple examples of judging at the World junior skating championships being corrupt I would not expect you to understand something obvious nor would I even go through the aggravation of trying to explain to you. :laugh:

Since this discussion has nothing to do with that you show that you have nothing left to throw at this and that you've made a mountain out of a molehill...i rest my case!

You seem incapable of having discussions with people who don't share your opinions and don't seem capable of being able to agree to disagree and push your own opinions as fact...you have your opinions and other's have theirs, yours are no more fact that anyone else's.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker

Also for the record - only you were screaming blue murder about that, there were two others in addition to me who also didn't follow your crying foul of that event. I also understood the examples you gave perfectly well, i just didn't agree with your conclusions...that's called a difference of opinion...but live in your own bubble where your opinions are facts if you enjoy life that way!

Ant

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
Except for the truly elite skaters, I think most welcome the GP series as a way to make money. I'm sure even Stephane will regret the potential lost revenue from pulling out of NHK. I will miss seeing him skate.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Outside of the "animal suit" Stephane wares, I will miss seeing him - just burn that dumb outfit!!!! It makes me wonder about the fall going into the spin. Not that it is unheard of, but for him it was shocking and made me think something is wrong. But what do I know???? Hope he is back Again soon!

But most of all there is one I can't wait to see!!!!:love: Well more than just her, but her most of all.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Can't help but think Johnny doesn't give a flying fig whether he goes to the GPF or not. He's already been to Russia this year.

Joe
Except that it's a paid trip to Moscow, which means shopping on the Arbat!

Seriously, he loves Russia, and has spoken often about wanting to own an apartment in Moscow (not St. Petersburg, where he was for CoR). Isn't Tarasova based there, because of where her mom lives?

ETA: I just realized that my post total is 2010, so just a note for Vancouver 2010, where I hope to be sitting in the arena...

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Isn't the GPF in St. Petersburg?

And hockeyfan228 -- congrats on the number of posts!

Kasey

Medalist
Except that it's a paid trip to Moscow, which means shopping on the Arbat!

Seriously, he loves Russia, and has spoken often about wanting to own an apartment in Moscow (not St. Petersburg, where he was for CoR). Isn't Tarasova based there, because of where her mom lives?

You're backwards. CoR was in Moscow; GPF is in St. Petersburg.

I'm sure Tarrazova will be up there in St. Pete's wearing a stunning new sable with Johnny close by and approving.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

He gets to exhibit his unique style and the unique qualities in his skating. My personl impression is that is what he skates for first and foremost.