Singing praises of some IRS workers | Golden Skate

Singing praises of some IRS workers

E

emiC

Singing praises of some IRS workers

Singing praises of some IRS workers.

I just want to tell you about my recent nice experience of dealing with the IRS. 2 years ago, I put something on the wrong line (should have used Turbo tax). The IRS computer caught the discrepancy. I received a letter from them dated 4/2/03, that according to their calculations I owe them $ (tax + penalty + interest). If they don’t hear from me in 30 days they will send me a cert letter, and start to collect. They gave me an agent’s name and 800#. So I called, and to my surprise, I found her on the first ring. She was very polite, and told me not to worry, just fax her the explanation. I FAX her the material the next day, and I called her back. She told me she saw the FAX on the tray, and the filing clerks will enter into the computer that they have received my response, and then they will pull my file for her. She said if she has any questions she will call me. I waited for 3 weeks, and since I did not hear from her, I called her again, and she told me that she had just finished working on my case, and I will hear from them soon. A week later, I received a letter stating that “We are pleased to tell you that the information you sent us helped us resolve our questions. We made no changes to the tax you reported on your return. You do not need to take any further action” So this whole process took less than 5 weeks.

I am impressed with this IRS staff; she was polite, informative, and available. :)

4dogknight

Re: Singing praises of some IRS workers

I too have a warm and fuzzy about my IRS experience, my first filing in fact.

I was only a nineteen year old full time college student with a part time job when my dad died. I quit school and got a full time job, in the same company and surprisingly enough, making a decent wage for that time. But I still had mom to support. Mom hadn't worked since she and dad married and that was as a telephone operator for Ma Bell. Technology had changed since 1929 and we both knew that she wouldn't be going back to that career any time soon.

I remember preparing the tax forms and mailing them in, thinking I had done a pretty good job. Needless to say within two months of filing I received that dreaded letter saying, You are being audited. Course by this time I was a cocky, confident 20 year old albeit shaking in my boots. The folks at the office weren't helping either, offering to organize a jail break, organize a bake sale - car wash for bail money and visitation rotation schedule. (Even after 40 plus years, I still have fond memories of that wild and crazy group.)

On the dreaded day, I trooped to down town Chicago for the
appointment feeling a little like Marie Antoinette on her way to the guillotine. I was armed with papers, copies, receipts, pencils, erasers, etc. but I was not prepared for what happened.

I was not there to be grilled, just the reverse. I had paid too much. I was unaware of the unmarried head of household category and didn't use it in my calculations. We went over my tax return and the agents gave me some helpful advice and tips for future returns. When I mentioned that my mom was looking for a job, they even offered her one in their office.

Of course when I got back to work the next day, I told everyone that I had a week to get my affairs in order and then my trial would commence. At twenty I hadn't the poker face I have now and couldn't keep the trial story going for more than 15 - 20 minutes.

I've heard horror stories from other people but my personal encounter was surprisingly warm and friendly.

4dk

S

SammieJ

I agree

It's funny what people think about certain things, tax agents being one of them. I guess it comes from TV.

I have a similar experience. Without going into details, an honest mistake was made on my taxes, which ended up meaning that Revenue Canada believed I owed them $14,000.00. After all was audited it turned out they owed me money....but in the meantime..

The tax agents I dealt with were the most respectful, helpful, patient, polite people I have ever had to deal with, be it in my own business, or even as a customer in any retail, or service setting.

I was very impressed and made sure everyone I knew heard about the wonderful job our Revenue Canada employees do. The usually get such a bum wrap. ;)

G

Grgranny

Re: I agree

Our experience wasn't as good. We had about $25,000.00 (our cost) of our jewelry stolen at a show in Kansas City and were audited. I didn't go but my husband said the guy was really nice and polite but ended up having to pay around $1400 more dollars as he couldn't find receipts for all of it. Since we made most of it, it would have been for the stock we bought to make it. Since we bought a lot of it at the shows in Quartzsite, AZ, we didn't get a lot of receipts. They are very lax about it there. I usually asked for them but my husband wouldn't bother. Felt like being shot after you were already knocked down.