Sasha Cohen behaviour in past, is it true? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen behaviour in past, is it true?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sounds like you had a good time (more of a time looking at the skaters than watching their routines :laugh: ;) ).

Maybe one of these days I might have the opportunity to go to one.

Fossi

Final Flight
You should catch a COI Red Dog. They are so much fun. You can see a different side of the skaters and see friendships and not just the game faces. They are all so tiny in person-yes, even Sarah Hughes,- TINY. It's amazing to watch what they can do on the ice.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Interesting. So I guess it's the norm. In that case then I suppose neither Kwan's nor Cohen's "behaviour" was unique. But still, the warm up should be as discreet as possible and shouldn't draw audience attention away from the skater performing on the ice. I can see the disrespect (whether it's intentional or not) some might see in that but of course I wouldn't be able to agree or disagree.

The warmups are discreet. The next skater gets ready in the shadows, at one end of the rink where there are no spotlights and the spotlights are on the performing skaters. Pretty much the skaters skate back and forth the width of the rink at the very end. I tend to get my tickets late and end up sitting on the end of the ring where the skaters come out, so I do see them warmup as it happens in front of me.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds like you had a good time (more of a time looking at the skaters than watching their routines :laugh: ;) ).

Maybe one of these days I might have the opportunity to go to one.

:laugh: I'll admit some of that, but it quickly is subdued by the amazing talent. Tanith blows my mind in person, I could not believe she could be that much better looking in person. But you soon realize that beauty is mainly in part to the athlete in them - healthy strong etc.... Their eyes are just so clean, blaa blaa...
GO GO GO GO is all I can say. I guess a scalper was desperate for a couple that sat down the same row from me - toward the corner - got their tickets for 40 a piece.:cool:

They are all so tiny in person-yes,
Sasha for sure, I don't think she even caused a breeze when skating by. She is so tiny - and the cutest ears!!!! LOL.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The warmups are discreet. The next skater gets ready in the shadows, at one end of the rink where there are no spotlights and the spotlights are on the performing skaters. Pretty much the skaters skate back and forth the width of the rink at the very end. I tend to get my tickets late and end up sitting on the end of the ring where the skaters come out, so I do see them warmup as it happens in front of me.

Well, I have no choice but to take your word for it. Thanks for responding.

R.D.

Record Breaker
:laugh: I'll admit some of that, but it quickly is subdued by the amazing talent. Tanith blows my mind in person, I could not believe she could be that much better looking in person. But you soon realize that beauty is mainly in part to the athlete in them - healthy strong etc.... Their eyes are just so clean, blaa blaa...
GO GO GO GO is all I can say. I guess a scalper was desperate for a couple that sat down the same row from me - toward the corner - got their tickets for 40 a piece.:cool:

Settle down, it's gonna be OK. :cool: :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Settle down, it's gonna be OK. :cool: :laugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You are in a good mood lately. And you are right, I can't wait for SOI.:clap: There is NO Substitute for the crowd / skater energy and the fact you see the best looking athletes in the world in 3-D. I saw U2 at Red Rocks in 83 and I rank that COI experience up there with it. If Ira would have looked me in the eye..... Or Sasha's Kleenex :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just out of curiosity I went to the COI website. They're holding some contest for backstage passes and I entered. Also checked prices for the DC show (the closest to me) and holy **** at some of them!!! $155 for floor tickets? good lord! And looks like $95 for a decent seat in the lower bowl. Yikes :eek:

Add transportation to the mix and one starts to wonder if it's REALLY worth it...for example I haven't been to an NFL game and maybe it's better spent on a Ravens game?? (I've already been to an Orioles game.)

Of course, for the nosebleed seats it's only $25...I remember a group of us sat in nosebleed seats at the Toyota Center in Houston for a Rockets game and it really wasn't that bad at all...of course, needed binoculars to see close-ups of the players and stuff :rofl:

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
A well known secret for budget savvy fans - get the nosebleed seat and once the show starts and you will see that that the arena is vurtually empty (as it has been unfortunately for the FS events lately) just move down to the empty seat that strikes your fancy. Works every time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
A well known secret for budget savvy fans - get the nosebleed seat and once the show starts and you will see that that the arena is vurtually empty (as it has been unfortunately for the FS events lately) just move down to the empty seat that strikes your fancy. Works every time.

Aha. We've done that before at a baseball game. Maybe since it's not an Oly year it might not be so crowded.

But note this is just research. I'm not seriously considering going at this point in time. It would probably take something big (like actually winning those VIP passes) to shift me into "definitely going" mode.

(But why didn't you PM me...now everyone knows :rofl: )

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My front row had 4 people in it total at the beginning, at the end it was full and there were two ladies that had to move for someone who upgraded to their seats they "snagged." They were looking and headed for the door on the first level last I saw as the lights went down, so it is a risk to try and snag. A lady and her daughter in my row (1) upgraded for 15 dollars (mom 10 and child 5) and purchased the backstage meet for 20 bucks. If Kimmie had been there I might have fended of the kids to go back there (if Fumie was there I would have already got the pass before the show started:agree: ).

I say scalp, and if there isn't a scalp to be had go to the box and get ready to run for the upgrade if necessary at the intermission. The seat I had was meant for press and I luck out with a one of a kind seat. Parking was 10 bucks and It would have cost 16 to take public trans. I had been working a job so I just drove even though I prefer the bus.

BUT!!!!!!!! As found from the fact Boise ID was canceled, Scalping causes doubt there will be the turn out and it might get cancelled. So maybe a bad Idea to perpetuate. But the price was right for me and others I am sure. The guy who sold the tickets said it was for the "Ice Capades":laugh: :laugh:

And IMO if I payed 195 for the seat I got I would have been satisfied at the end, maybe questioning it the majority of the start, but by the end....I would fork over 300 without reservation if it meant I could bow in front of Fumie and tell her there has never been another skater or athlete to bring me the joy she has. I would not have thought so until I had the COI experience, but now I know.

Last edited:

babyoscar

On the Ice
Sasha at COI

Ya know... While I am always amused at Sasha's antics on & off the ice (her interview with Peter C. is my absolute fave...) I'd like to interject another experience here...

At the 03 COI show in Detroit, I watched another skater doing this prior to their skate while another skater was performing... she was stretching out, talking to those around her & yes, blowing her nose... Heck, she actually had the gall to step onto the ice in the shadows & skate in circles to warm up her legs! Guess who it was... Michelle Kwan. I assumed it was more the casual prep skaters take before taking the ice than blatant disrespect. But then what do I know??

I think we might want to give Sasha a break...

My turn...
Last summer at the COI performance in San Francisco, I noticed some Sasha behavior that gave some credence to the "spoiled brat" reports that I'd been hearing for years.
When Shizuka came out to skate, Sasha (the next performer) watched from the skater's entrance, visible to the entire audience. When Tanith & Ben had done this for Evan's performance, it was obvious that they stayed to watch Evan perform, because they paid polite attention. Sasha did not afford Shizuka that courtesy. She spent Shizuka's entire performance walking back and forth, stretching, blowing her nose - paying absolutely no attention to what was happening on the ice. It was obvious enough that I was distracted, and I'm sure that I wasn't the only member of the audience who felt this way.
I don't want to speculate on what's was or wasn't going on in Sasha's head that day, but I felt that her behavior was extremely rude, both to Shizuka and to the audience.
Just my two cents.
Rave

Actually, what Sasha did was normal. I have had more than one time having seats next to the tunnel where I saw skaters come out on the ice, and skate in circles in the shadows warming up during the previous skater's skate. What Sasha did, as mentioned by another poster, wasn't abnormal. I think people who never saw this in the past might find it odd. It might be distracting at times to some people, but I got used to it.

However, I do find it distracting having a little kid kicking the back of my seat during the whole show. I am pretty sure the little kid didn't mean any harm by it, probably just being a kid and all.

R.D.

Record Breaker
My front row had 4 people in it total at the beginning, at the end it was full and there were two ladies that had to move for someone who upgraded to their seats they "snagged." They were looking and headed for the door on the first level last I saw as the lights went down, so it is a risk to try and snag. A lady and her daughter in my row (1) upgraded for 15 dollars (mom 10 and child 5) and purchased the backstage meet for 20 bucks. If Kimmie had been there I might have fended of the kids to go back there (if Fumie was there I would have already got the pass before the show started:agree: ).

I say scalp, and if there isn't a scalp to be had go to the box and get ready to run for the upgrade if necessary at the intermission. The seat I had was meant for press and I luck out with a one of a kind seat. Parking was 10 bucks and It would have cost 16 to take public trans. I had been working a job so I just drove even though I prefer the bus.

BUT!!!!!!!! As found from the fact Boise ID was canceled, Scalping causes doubt there will be the turn out and it might get cancelled. So maybe a bad Idea to perpetuate. But the price was right for me and others I am sure. The guy who sold the tickets said it was for the "Ice Capades":laugh: :laugh:

And IMO if I payed 195 for the seat I got I would have been satisfied at the end, maybe questioning it the majority of the start, but by the end....I would fork over 300 without reservation if it meant I could bow in front of Fumie and tell her there has never been another skater or athlete to bring me the joy she has. I would not have thought so until I had the COI experience, but now I know.

What's "snag" and what's "scalp"?

Also, what's this "upgrade" thing? Is it cheaper to get "upper" seats and then "upgrade" to lower ones?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I feel old when My slang is out of date, eesh.

Snag, to just sneak down and sit in a empty seat you believe will stay vacant.

Scalp, to buy a ticket from a "seller on the street" that wants to sell. In Denver it is illegal to sell a ticket for more than the posted price on the ticket, should be the same everywhere but often it is just illegal period so the price goes up.

And the upgrade turned out cheeper, but is a "legal" form of a snag where you pay an addition percentage that some might conceder a "prorate." And If someone has snagged your seat you just upgraded to they will have to "vamoose."

The more I think about the scalp thing, I should not have risked that. Oh well. And I looked and prices are not so steep in Denver for COI 07. And it is in May this year.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah. So I think it would just be better to either get front row or higher up and hope that front row seats aren't all sold out by showtime. It also likely will differ from venue to venue.

Peggy

On the Ice
I have to agree with Joe.

Sasha could have had it all if she had just stuck with Tarasova and followed TT's training regimen religiously for 4 years. Instead, she wasted her fragile energies shopping and making cookies and insisting on competing when she wasn't in good shape (the 2003 cheesefest and GPF). That ended the relationship and Sasha's best chance for a World Championship and the OGM.

Robin Wagner had a plan for Sasha to follow to 'up the ante' and remain technically ahead of her competitors, but Sasha couldn't or wouldn't stick with
that plan either. Her return to John Nicks was a statement that she was done with 'upping the ante' and was going to do things her way. She did not work on her jump technique, but instead focused on choreography and the end result was failed jumps ended her chance for the OGM and an easy World Championship.

I believe Sasha's parents were having marital problems during that time period so perhaps that had some effect on Sasha's focus. Tarasova probably had no sympathy for what was going on with her life away from the rink. This is all speculation on my part, but I've always felt like there were other issues that caused Sasha to leave Tarasova.

As for Robin, She about drove me crazy in the kiss and cry area after Sasha's performances. I think Robin was bitter and took it personally when Sasha and her Mom decided to go back to California where their home and friends was. Just another perspective to think about on the coaching changes.

I don't think Sarah and Robin speak either and it probably because Robin is so controlling that she makes it impossible to stay friends with her. She gives me the creeps.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Robin Wagner scares me... she seems way too controlling of any and all her skaters and freaks out when they go against her (Sarah deciding school was more important, Robin spoke rather harshly about the decision... Sasha leaving her was in Robin's idea the worst mistake in a long line of mistakes) I would NEVER want my child working with her.

Last edited:

babyoscar

On the Ice
Coi

ah. So I think it would just be better to either get front row or higher up and hope that front row seats aren't all sold out by showtime. It also likely will differ from venue to venue.

Seats does change from venue to venue. Here in Anaheim, the tickets in the lower bowl are usually all sold out. So even if you want to move down, you can't. Staples center usually isn't all sold out for COI, so I have seen people moving down during intermission. I would ask people who goes to your venue and see what their experiences with that arena are like.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think I know anyone, though (who's been there)...that's the thing.